Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About admiralcag

  • Rank
    Rivet Counter

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. admiralcag

    Oderless Mineral Spirits....

    I use it extensively also. Great stuff. Vern
  2. admiralcag

    Midway remake

    +3 Have these people ever seen a Roland Emmerich film? Vern
  3. admiralcag

    Small diameter bomb and BRU-61

    Two questions - did you work 88-0401 at TJ? And did you do any deployments to Balad with the Colorado Guard? Vern 462X0/2W1X0
  4. admiralcag

    Alclad II - when to apply?

    Awesome, guys! Thanks!
  5. admiralcag

    Alclad II - when to apply?

    A question for the hive mind - I want to pant the wheel wells on a Monogram 1/48 F-104 Alclad II Aluminum. If I paint it before the camouflage gray, I have to mask it and risk damaging it. If I paint afterwards, I have to lay down a primer that is compatible and risk overspray. Thoughts? Vern
  6. admiralcag

    Monogram 1/48 F-104C Starfighter

    Yesterday's work - First, I knocked down the seam in the tail section. I need to fill the seam over the burner can still. Putty, putty, putty... Nose installed and top of instrument panel painted. I did the gun bay door as well. This is nothing like what K2Pete is doing on his Gemini, which is just stunning. I'm learning and practicing. Pattern placed on the sheet stock and cut out. The piece in place. I trimmed and sanded to get it to fit a bit better. I tried to scribe it to make it look a bit better. I used Dymo label tape as a guide. I replaced the bulge on the door with a piece of .060" half round strip. I have a business trip to Phoenix this week, so I will probably be back at this Saturday. Vern
  7. admiralcag

    Monogram 1/48 F-104C Starfighter

    Life is a little less crazy. #2 son is married, projects wrapping up at work. A little more breathing room. Fuselage halves and gun bay door. Making a template for fixing the gun bay door. You can see how inset it is. I am thinking of scratching this out of .005" sheet and making the bump out of half round stock. Prepping the seam for putty. I tried out Vallejo Plastic Putty as I learned the hard way Perfect Plastic Putty has a service life. 😞 Putty removed. I used Qtips dipped in Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. The perfect putty is my Holy Grail. Sanding the seam on the wing tanks. Looks like crap. Last night's work - I had test fitted the tail section with the burner can mounted to the engine. It doesn't slide on that way due to the depth of the speed brake wells. So, it has to be painted and assembled. Mr. Surfacer 1200 as a primer. Alclad Steel. I love Alcad! Oops... Going to have to sand, reprime, and repaint. Also, I was hoping the burner can would hide more of the seam. And attached. I want to get the cockpit finished so I can install the canopy and get ready for priming. I was wanting to paint the electronic bay cover a darker gray than the cockpit tub. Oops! I grabbed the flat gull gray instead of the Euro I gray. Repaint. Ejection seat glued in. The CoMMiES build and bull is today, so more work on this. Vern
  8. admiralcag

    paint leaking behind eclipse hp-cs paint cup?

    Do you have/know a local Iwata rep? If not, contact Tom Grossman at TAGTeam Hobbies (http://tagteamhobbies.com). He sells parts, the pro maintenance tool kit, and can fix the brush if that fails. Definitely sounds like the needle packing has issues. Vern
  9. admiralcag

    Monogram 1/48 F-104C Starfighter

    Holy crap! What a week! The photos below are from last Saturday. I broke out the paint brush and the Tamiya paint and worked on the cockpit. The IP installed. And into the fuselage. I said in another thread that I need to up my cockpit game. Any pointers for practice? The engine is airbrushed Alclad Gunmetal. I wanted to test something I want to do on my 1/32 Italeri F-104C, which is to mix interior green with Alclad Aluminum since the engine tube is a metallic green. Sadly, I am out of enamel interior green and all my money is going to my son's wedding. First World problems. I did glue the fuselage halves together but haven't gotten a picture of it. I also installed the gun bay door. It fit very badly and I have to decide how hard I want to work on fixing it. I am hoping to work on it tomorrow. Vern
  10. admiralcag

    Monogram Curtiss P-6E Hawk

    My model club, the CoMMiES, does 4 hr meetings twice a month. We call them build and bulls. Lots of smack talk. Lots of wandering around to see what is being done. The club has several absolutely brilliant modelers. Lots of building going on. More clubs should do that. I built a P6E many, many years ago. Vern
  11. admiralcag

    Revell T-6 Texan

    Nice work! Vern
  12. admiralcag

    Monogram 1/48 F-86D Sabre Dog

    That's slick! I will have to try it. Vern
  13. admiralcag

    Revell Monogram GB planned builds.

    I forgot to add what I was building here. I love Starfighters. My youngest son said I should build one in a Naboo starfighter livery. I think that would be cool. If I can get this done quickly, I may try to do an OS2U Kingfisher. Vern
  14. admiralcag


    I definitely need pointers on how to do instrument panels. Nice work!