Jump to content

trietmcam

Members
  • Content Count

    440
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by trietmcam

  1. One note about ELO, they do attack the plastic a little by making it more brittle, if left it on for too long. It may attack cemented joints also. I suspect if you use it once, it should be ok. I had fuselage half joints came apart and parts chipped off at the edges. But one thing it does very well is stripping lacquer based paint, including Mr surfacer.
  2. Superb work on that base. Those circles are spot on. Thanks for sharing.
  3. That looked like a very clean cut from the demo. Thanks Dave
  4. Hi all, I was wondering if there are any tool out there to cut perfect small circles down to 6 mm diameter? I want to cut vinyl mask in sizes from 6 to 9 mm diameter. TIA Triet
  5. Not sure how bad the fog is, but if you buff it out with Tamiya polishing compound, it may restore the gloss. Triet
  6. Oh wow! This is incredible. The decals looked like they were painted on, no edges visible. The metal look is fantastic. Regards Triet
  7. Does anyone know whatever happened to the molding tools since HC closed down? I haven't seen any release of the kits for a long time. Wonder who owns it now. Hoping for a plan to re-release this kit.
  8. One thing to watch out for is which is the right Bearcat versions served in the theater. I think the -1 and -1B were (short tail) in Indochina. I don't think the -2 ever made it there. That said, someone is gonna prove me wrong. Another problem is, which marking carried the cannons or machine guns. The Acaademy/Hobbycraft kit was criticized for the tail, for which represented neither the -1B or -2. Another issue widely discussed was the nose cone shape. The wheel wells also had accuracy issues. But I think all those can be fixed with the Lonestar upgrade resins. I don't know much about th
  9. Some had letters on tail. Note the set of louvers. I never knew they were installed in Indochina.
  10. The GSB might be a little easier marking to do, just the basic alphabet letter identifier on the nose and fin flag on the tail.
  11. Very hard to find because the remaining ones were near the end of their life by the late 50s, before American had large presence in SVN. But here are few different markings that may interest you. HTH Triet
  12. Exactly what I was looking for. TY Rich TC
  13. I was wondering if any after market photo etch out there for 1/48 US jets? Thanks TrietCam
  14. I'm replacing the whole upper O-1 bird dog cabin windows with a one clear piece. Didn't like the kit's individual windows, they all had terrible distortion. So I'm looking for adhesives with super grip. I just tried Gorilla epoxy. This stuff dried rock hard after 1 hour. Just have to be careful not to let it smear into the windows areas.
  15. Hi All, I am using Tamiya extra thin cement on the clear plastic (making windows). The clear plastic doesn't stick too well with the styrene, maybe the Evergreen plastic has different material properties. What is the right cement type to use? TFYH Triet C.
  16. Dutch and Shultz, thanks for your comments. The instrument panel came from the now defunct Cobra resin set. The surface had to be sanded smooth, had a lot of grains. I used Mike Grant instrument decals gauges for the individual locations. One caution, the 2 side consoles had to be sanded down and so did the 2 seats in order to fit the cockpit. The True Details seats were actually designed for the single seat fighter version. I think they were wider than the E version. So had to be sanded down to fit. The way I did it was sand down the seats, side consoles, then lots of
  17. Long over due thank you for everyone's comment. I haven't checked in awhile Regards TrietCam
  18. Absolute stellar builds. Your attention to details is astounding. Thanks for showing 11bee
  19. External close ups. The side mirrors are from Eduards PE sets. They look pretty real ] That's all folks. Regards Triet cam
  20. One final update, I added the walk ways after someone pointed out. I had totally forgotten. I sprayed very dark gray, and left off some spots to get that worn out look.
  21. Here's the real thing in 1970. It's actually an A-1G. From exterior, there were no differences between the E and G. The G version were more dedicated to night operations. Many of the South Vietnamese two seaters were actually the G version minus night time radar equipment in the back. Probably had no usage purposes in Vietnam. Record showed this aircraft was lost in Feb/02/1972, no indication where. Checking with sources who knew think it was shot down over the battle of Kontum in Region II. It was downed while returing home from mission. It was later learned that it was hit by a missile.
  22. Overall view. Summarize the build: The model was kit bashed with the Monogram wings, and tailpanes. I mate along the lower side of the fuselage, to minimized fillers and sanding as much as possible. It's still a lot of work involved though. Other modelers tried to use as much of the donor kit as possible (ie. Tamiya) by joining the two higher up. I saw this could have some potential difficulty fitting in the cockpit floor, if it's not done right. There were a lot of work mating in the resin nose/engine set. The fuselage diameter had
×
×
  • Create New...