Jump to content

CarlR

Members
  • Content Count

    15
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About CarlR

  • Rank
    Snap-Together

Recent Profile Visitors

1,988 profile views
  1. Here are three of my most recent completions. All are built using the Hasegawa kit with aftermarket Leading Edge decals.
  2. thank you to phantom and Mstor for responding. My experience with Leading Edge pretty much duplicates phantom's but these tigermeet decals have presented the greatest challenge. I did email Dave at Leading Edge about the problems I was having. He was very quick to reply and to advise that the ink mix used in the earlier prints of these sheets was different and would become brittle over time. He was not able to suggest anything to salvage the sheet I had on hand but very kindly offered a replacement sheet. This is customer service above and beyond - it's a shame that producing Canadian themed
  3. I am hoping to get some guidance on successfully applying some troublesome Leading Edge decals. Please understand this is not a rant or a complaint - just looking for some help to successfully apply these decals. I have been building models for almost 50 years now and have completed over 100 airliner models so I am not a novice when it comes to applying decals but these problems have almost forced me to admit defeat. chuck540z3 in wrote an excellent primer on decal application but the problems I am having go beyond the basics and I am hoping the collective wisdom
  4. I'm more than a little late to the party but I am very pleased to add this commemorative scheme to my collection of Canadian demonstration hornets. The decal sheet was released by Fishbone Inc (https://www.facebook.com/Fishbone.Inc/). Unfortunately, as per the latest information from him, the Canada 150 decals are no longer available. (But he does have the RCAF CF-18 DemoTeam "NORAD 60th Anniversary" decals currently on offer). The Canada 150 sheet is not 100% accurate but to me it is close enough to be more than acceptable. The only real shortcoming in terms of accura
  5. thank you all for your kind comments. balls477... to answer your questions... 1 - the propeller hub was brush painted with Testor's ModelMaster chrome silver #1790 (I got lucky with the finish) 2 - the majority of the markings on the aircraft are supplied as decals in the kit. The main wing decals required careful placing and slicing at the corners to get a proper fit. The only painting required for the markings was the cowl over the engine and the struts between the main wings. - a word of warning about the decal placement instructions...they erroneously would have you put the upper tail
  6. I built this kit OOB with the addition of black invisible thread to simulate the rigging. Even with the new experience of rigging a biplane, because the kit goes together so well it was a relaxing build.
  7. thank you all for your kind comments with regard to dnl42's request for a build summary... - over all the kit went together very well - very little in the way of filler was required. - To eliminate the need for tedious masking during the painting process, I elected to not install the windows. After I had painted the fuselages, to simulate the windows I filled the area with a generous amount of Tamiya smoke acrylic paint and let that area of the fuselage face downwards until the paint had dried. I did a small area at a time to ensure the window would dry as flat as possible. - I felt the en
  8. Keeping the dream alive - my best wishes to Richard Branson and to everyone at Virgin Galactic
  9. Here's my attempt at this great kit from Revell. It's basically OOB. About the only change I made was to replace the "horned antenna" at the front with a smaller scratchbuilt version. I don't know how accurate my version is but the one supplied in the kit just didn't look right. Other than that I built the kit as suggested by the instructions and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - even the interior parts which can't be seen when the model is finished.
  10. This is the Revell Germany release of their 1/144 scale F/A-18C Hornet. Because the intention was to have the model completed in "in flight" mode the landing gear was omitted as was all the armament. The wooden base was painted black and given a gloss coat. Two short sections of aluminum tubing were secured so that the appropriately sized clear acrylic tubing could be inserted later. Some tubing was also secured in the tail section of the model. I heated the acrylic rods in boiling water and gently bent them to the desired curvature. The fit of the rods into the tubing is loose/tight
  11. CarlR

    CC_737

    Thank you all for your kind comments. The main decal sheet I used was made by J-Bot Decals (1/144 CC-137) with window and detail decals supplied by a spare Liveries Unlimited B737 sheet. The base kit was the Airfix 1/144 B737.
  12. CarlR

    CC_737

    What would the Canadian transport aircraft looked like if Canada had chosen the B737 instead of the B707? It may not have met the military's requirements but I think the paint scheme would have made a very attractive '37.
  13. Thank you for your kind comments
  14. This Star Wars vehicle has always been one of my favourites and I finally got it built! It was built pretty much straight out of the box except for the "power cables" which were replaced with fabric covered elastic thread painted black. I attempted to finish the model in a more dynamic pose than the "full speed straight ahead" setup suggested by the box art. Hope you enjoy!
  15. Hi Phil I have scanned the instructions of the TWA version and can supply them as a pdf. It's just a little over 2 meg in size. CarlR
×
×
  • Create New...