Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About mkjm

  • Rank
    Spaceflight Connoisseur
  • Birthday 03/05/1990

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Austin, TX
  • Interests
    Spaceflight, armor, The Great War, Mass Effect & Halo (and some other video game series), the odd anime here and there

Recent Profile Visitors

1,396 profile views
  1. Some progress! Over the weekend, I used some German Grey from Tamiya for the RCC wing edges and nose cap. German grey might be a bit dark, but I plan on painting some of the wing edge panels a lighter grey for some variation as seen on the real thing. I also painted various portions of the orbiter using a thinned mixture of white craft paint with a drop of red for a very, very pale pinkish white. I evenly painted this onto the masked off areas with a brush, and somehow I avoided brush strokes. This first photo is of the masked off areas and some of the decals loosely placed to see
  2. Thanks Pete! I'm glad to be continuing it. The cockpit area is all stock kit. I was too far along by the time I saw Dutycat's beaniecaps and I wasn't sure I wanted to restart this for a third time... The cockpit windows are from Accurate Model Parts. I had to remove a lot of the window frames and surrounding material but I think it paid off. The cockpit around the windows was some of the most difficult areas to finish, next to the rear plate where the engines sit - a lot of odd shapes to cut tile strips into! I'll have a look at your method for masking the nose, I'm h
  3. Sheeesh, been a hot minute since I've last posted! It's hard to believe this model started ten years ago this year. With the COVID pandemic I had some free time to work on finally reaching that finish line with this whole project. A major milestone was reached just in January - paint has been applied! Being in an apartment, I don't have an airbrush setup so I use Tamiya rattle cans (an investment in an airbrush will likely come later this year but the coverage of the cans is good for this kit IMO). First it was hit with a Tamiya fine white primer, and then a matte whit
  4. I've rounded the nose off a bit with the help of that scan, mighty helpful. Thanks HD!
  5. Another one for the pile! I snagged this 1:288 Academy kit for maybe $12 a few days ago. I wanted a shuttle kit that would be quick to build, small, had the tailcone, and decals for Enterprise. For this kit, I want to depict Enterprise during her first free flight in 1977, during the Approach and Landing Tests. The finished model will be going to a friend a co-worker, a fan of nerd stuff, table top games, space exploration, and NASA. We have had many conversations about different TV shows and the space program and video games, he is a great friend and colleague. He has
  6. I've decided that this kit will likely go on an Edu-Craft MLP (maybe the crawler as well, have not decided). I've debated on whether or not to have her in a launch position or in a roll-out configuration with the red OMS and SSME covers and the protective window covers on the cockpit. I think it would make for a very interesting look all things considered, kind of like this: This project is slow going with all of the others going on concurrently, but I've made a little bit of progress. I used blue painters tape to 'protect' the sides of the Revell ET on each side of eac
  7. Thanks Wombat, that thing is massive! Would make for a great 2019 project I think.
  8. Ah yeah, I tried to find some photo of the dish by itself in what we have of orbiters under construction but there really isn't all that much out there. I think what you have in this preliminary design stage is looking great, however.
  9. That looks great! Do these help at all Bill?
  10. A very fair point! I may just be hanging mine from the ceiling so it may not bother me as much.
  11. Fantastic! I love the base especially. I see you used the photo etch as well, I've been debating if it's worth doubling the price of the kit to add the PE to it or just do an out-of-box build.
  12. Not so flippant at all! It just seemed always a weird choice to me, when modelers often build a ship that has sunk, or an ace fighter plane that has been downed in battle, we deal with subjects that can at times be brutal and revells decision to leave out the names of Challenger and Columbia always seemed more a slight than not. To me anyways. I have your thread pulled up and they still show for me! I'm probably going to screen shot and print the thread for posterity just in case though. Your work is fantastic and I enjoy reading through how you came up with fixes for th
  13. And another one! I've had a 1/144 Revell stack for the better part of three years. I did the same as Endeavour back in 2009 but I was never really happy with it. I gave the orbiter to a good friend who has it on his space shelf and kept the poorly painted SRBs and ET for myself but knew I always wanted to retry it. Because I've had this for so long, I had a lot of time to figure out which mission and orbiter to do. Just last week, I was picking up some stamps at the post office for some thank you cards from my wedding. The lady behind the counter started showing me all the differe
  14. Ha! If I thought I could get away with it I'd certainly try! I used to work at a Michael's Arts & Crafts, I'll have to see if some old friends who still work there can give me a heads up when the easter crafts start rolling in so I can check. These egg series models are a nice break from the super-detailed tile and stringer counting.
  • Create New...