Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Poppop

Members
  • Content Count

    112
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Poppop

  • Rank
    Rivet Counter

Recent Profile Visitors

4,897 profile views
  1. Been sidetracked for awhile... some abdominal surgery that was successful and things about 90% back to whatever normal is nowadays. I've spent most of the time I had working the nacelles... putty, sand, check, putty, sand, check, repeat as needed! Mine did need a bit of work and I hope to rescribe tomorrow and then should be ready to move on. I did finish most of the cockpit. Copied some pics from Cal Taylor's book and resized them and printed on decal paper to get some detail on the panels. Also waiting for a response from a very good friend who put many hours in the cockpit of the 133.. I doing 40144 that was part of the UN Congo mission. My friends picture of 40144 on page 282 of Cal's book outside the hangar at Leopoldville is my goal. Waiting to see if he remembers the color of the headrests and armrests. The pictues of the C-133 restored at Dover show red, but several other pictues I've found would suggest either gray or maybe black... will see. I will try to get some pictures in the next week or so.. I'm not the greatest photograper.
  2. There lays the problem.. they are not a vertical wall. Most of it is.. from the bottom of the nacelle to the lower edge of the wing... that's the part that does fit relatively snug. Then it angles back (looking at nacelle from the side).. and that is where the gap develops. Easier to insert a piece of plastic sheet than to try sanding.. and since both nacelles on the other wing do fit reasonably well, you would end up with nacelles of different sizes on the wings. I had already filled the gap when I started the pictures or I would have tried to get a side view.
  3. Not really.. the way the parts are designed it's only the very top of the nacelle that is causing the gap. The rest of it does mate snug against the wing. As I mentioned, the nacelles mate snug all the way on the port wing. As you can see from the pictures, there is still filing required to get a completely smooth nacelle.
  4. Starboard wing after filling. You can see that the nacelles required some putty of their own.
  5. I did not take photos prior to my post about the nacelles. But here is a starboard wing before filling. Will post after filling next. I will take some others of the build and post later. Charlie
  6. UPDATE: My original post was based on the assembly of the starboard (right) wing and nacelles.... today I built the port (left) wing and voila.. the same nacelles fit near perfect. I am stymied...I have checked the assembly of the starboard wing and it is correct.. both halves fit and aligned without a problem. But there is still the 1mm gap at the top of both nacelles. The natural assumption is that I screwed up somehow.. and might have, although there is very little to the assembly and highly unlikely. So, I will use a sheet filler for the two gaps and wait to see if anyone else gets to this point in their build.. and then gap or no gap? Now that I have both halves, the issue is a minor one. If you have the interest... get the kit. It does have a couple of challenges.. thick sprue attachments (tiny parts take a lot of care in removing) , soft plastic, etc... but overall it is a nice representation of this giant and important aircraft.
  7. I have run into an interesting problem with my Roden 1/144 C-133. There is a 1mm gap between the top of the engine nacelle and the wing mounting point. There is a definite step in the wing attachment point. I cannot identify anything I have done.. assume I just have to use some sheet filler to fix the issue. Anyone else experiencing this?
  8. If anyone is not using the red bordered national insignia- I am willing to pay a reasonable price. TIA Charlie
  9. What would be the appropriate color wash to use on a white aircraft? Thanks,
  10. The Revell 1/72 B-17G kit has two alternate windscreens.... for kit number 5861 they are numbered parts 67 and 68. I need a part 68. If anyone has one, please let me know cost and shipping. Thanks for reading and for any responses. Charlie
  11. Moved to Props Forum.
  12. It needs a new nose! All the parts fit extremely well until I attached the nose. There is a very noticeable step between the nose and the fuselage. Multiple dry fittings proved that it could not be eliminated except with putty and sanding. But there goes the fine detailing and it is beyond my skill level to recreate it.
  13. Thanks Jennings for the prompt reply... it's not hard to confuse me... but your explanation was great. Now to the basement! Charlie L
  14. I'm ready to start applying the Fundekals P-51D/K Factory Stencil Data to my 1/32 Tamiya. But a question has arisen! The instructions say "All markings are readable when viewed from the leading edge." That statement leads me to believe that the wing stencils would be 180 degrees from what I usually do... up until now I apply the stencils so they can be read when the wing is positioned with the trailing edge closest to me. I hope this question is understandable... and my confusion can be cleared up... until the next time. Thanks to all in advance... Charlie L
  15. Thoughts and prayers for sure. Keep us informed of her progress please.
×
×
  • Create New...