Jump to content

Lunokhod 2

Members
  • Content Count

    178
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Lunokhod 2

  • Rank
    Rivet Counter
  • Birthday 03/19/1958

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Toulouse - France
  • Interests
    Space modelling

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. The sun elevation angle at the time of landing was about 10.8° and this change about 0.5° per hour. Since Aldrin picture was taken about 8 hours after landing the sun elevation was about 15°. If you consider that Armstrong was about 1.90 m high with his spacesuit and helmet this gives a shadow length of 7.3 m. Armstrong shadows goes slightly behind Aldrin's feet so I would say the distance between the two men is between 6.5 and 7 m or between 22 and 23 ft.
  2. There are 3 types of blankets on the LM, a yellow gold one (on the right in the photo below) for which I used a survival blanket, an orange gold one (on the left in the photo below) which is quite difficult to find, in my case it was probably a flower wrapping paper that I kept for years. The final one is a copper one for which I used coffee bags bought on I am a spammer, please report this post. that have almost the same color as the original one. For the gold and orange foil you can also use Candyland Kraft - orange foil - gold foil
  3. The model is now complete, here are a some pictures and a comparison with the one I made about 4 decades ago, maybe more.
  4. The Command Module is now fnished. I used the Realspace CM with some modifications on the hatch. The handles were 3D printed. The CM is covered with BareMetal foil.
  5. For several years I had the 1/48 RealSpace CSM that I wanted to use for my LM/CSM combination. Unfortunately I rapidly saw that the Service Module was unusable, something happened to the resin at some point and the cylinder looked like a spoiled food can. I probably could had sanded it to make it perfectly cylindrical but it meant removing all the details. I then decided to use the work I had already done with the 1/32 CSM and downscale it to 1/48. So in this model the Service Module is a complete design of mine except for the high gain antenna dishes and the decals. all parts were printed on
  6. I have always thought that a good model requires a nice stand. I think the worst example is the 1/32 Monogram CSM, such a nice kit and an ugly stand. Anyways I tried to design something for my 1/48 LM/CSM combination and I hope you will like it. The next and final step will be the 1/48 CSM model. The last picture shows a cone (arrow) that is placed there to stop the CSM when it will be inserted into the rod. The files for this stand are available on Cults3D.
  7. To answer Pete's questions, yes all paper facets were sealed on the moel using superglue (just a few drops on each side of the facets, making sure I used some varnish before and wrinkled them a bit). All facets were printed on my inkjet printer at home. For the rendez-vous antenna, I choose this orientation which corresponds to the orientation a few minutes after undocking of Interpid. For you information the current model has 696 parts (289 for the descent stage and 407 for the ascent stage) and it took me 89 hours 34 mn (almost 8 mn per part)
  8. After I assembled the ascent and descent stages together and added the landing probes, I declare the 1/48 LM model finished. Next steps : the stand and the CSM.
  9. And finally all details on the forward section of the LM. I now need to assemble the two stages together as well as the landing probes.
  10. Yes the coils on the VHF antennas were 3D printed too. We really are at the limit here. I didn't break the antenna but broke the two supports while putting aluminium paper around. Fortunately the superglue works on this kind of resin. All parts were printed on shapeways except one of the cross braces on the descent stage, it was broken and I printed a replacement on my Photon resin printer. The part seems a bit more solid than the Shapeways one.
  11. The mid-section of my 1/48 LM ascent stage stage is now complete with all its details i.e. the ascent engine, the various umbilicals, the position lights, the fuel drains, the S-band high gain antenna, the H2O boilers, the docking target, the VHF antennas and the EVA antenna to which the various vents here and there must be added.
  12. The aft section of the ascent stage is now complete with all its details.
  13. I just completed covering the forward section of the LM (about 135 panels) and then covering the entire ascent stage. The ascent stage has 271 parts so far and 289 for the descent stage however since there are quite a remaining few parts to install, the final number of parts for the ascent stage will be higher than the descent stage. Progress in pictures :
  14. Before applying all the panels to the forward section of my 1/48 LM I completed the rendezvous and main windows and installed the main hatch. CDR and rendezvous windows are provided by Rick Sternbach.
  15. I just finished to put all panels around the mid-section of my 1/48 lunar module. Quite a lot of parts to assemble. I didn't tell you before but at this time the descent stage has 289 parts (it will have a bit more whan the landing probes will be attached) and the ascent stage 123, of course it will have many more when I start the forward section and all details. Happy new year to all of you
×
×
  • Create New...