Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sigtau

  1. Here's a good overview of the LANTIRN integration into the F-14. The F-14 LANTIRN Pod (AN/AAQ-25) had unique capabilities the USAF pod (AN/AAQ-14) lacked. https://theaviationist.com/2020/12/26/how-the-f-14-tomcat-evolved-and-became-the-bombcat/ While a 10" high res screen might not seem like a big deal these days, the F-14s were preferred for CAS missions because of it. When combined with the enhanced LANTIRN pod, it would seem it was the preferred platform in the early years of the war. https://theaviationist.com/2012/09/08/f14-vs-f15/ Also,
  2. How much was this set? Their FB page is a very vague on price and purchase process.
  3. MRP-002 is really the better match to "International Orange" MRP calls it insignia red, but that's really not the right name. They also have another insignia red, MRP-299, which is in fact what most modelers consider insignia red to be. Back to MRP International orange (MRP-232). I find this to be a closer match to the orange that VFA/VA-86 uses for its squadron markings.
  4. It would be cool to have a modern set of Spectre markings representing it's final scheme before the engine fire and retirement.
  5. If a piece of PE or Resin is somewhat difficult to position before the CA will set, I will tack it in place with small dabs of Microscale liqui-tape. Once in the correct position, I'll use thin CA to secure it in place.
  6. I have the HB FB-111 kit inbound. I'll do some comparisons with the Academy kit to see if the wings are interchangeable. Seems like fixing the HB kit parts should be easy. Unfortunately, the current situation in Ukraine is going to be a problem. I actually have an order from Reskit stuck in their postal system in Kyiv.
  7. Do you happen to have any photos of the correction process? Also, I wonder if the Ozmod wing sets for the academy kit could be modified to work in the hobbyboss kits?
  8. Custom is really the best way to go with display cases for models. I'm in the process of finishing a custom cabinet project that will give me enough space for ~150 completed builds. It is a three sectioned cabinet that will take up just under 10 feet of wall space. The center section will protrude out 26 inches from the wall. The two side cabinets will be 22 inches deep. The deeper shelves will easily allow for two rows of 1/48 scale modern jets. Also, the deeper center section will hold a 1/72 scale B-52 or B-36. I know not everyone has the means to build something like I'm w
  9. Interesting that he was able to copyright it. When I worked as a government contractor, the government owned everything I created. I had no right to any intellectual property I created while working there. My current private sector employer also owns everything I create and I have zero rights to take anything with me.
  10. A simple search for the Hobby boss kit sprues shows that they are not re-using the clear parts from the kit. It looks like they've gone custom injection molded for those parts. Also note that the clear parts for the opening portions of the canopy are designed to fit into the resin frame parts.
  11. The late A kit includes the GE shrouds (from the F-14D TARPS sprue). All that's missing are the GE nozzles (lots of AM options), correct pilot instrument panel, and the sparrowhawk HUD (for very late Bs) Phase hanger makes the correct front instrument panel w/sparrowhawk. Otherwise, the fightertown decal set for the small details, ordinance, etc has the correct decal for the B pilot panel. https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tam/pages/tam_61122_parts1.shtml
  12. 1/24/22 - Updated with other items I'm looking for. Added possible trade items.
  13. I'm in search of a pair of the Tamiya F-14 vertical stabs. I had to steal the parts out of one of my kits for a Hasegawa F-14 build. I went to order replacements from phase hanger, but they are now OOP. Let me know if you have a set to spare and we can work out a deal. Thanks, Ken
  14. I'm looking for the following items to buy or trade for: Wolfpack 1/48 S-3 Wingfold set (x2) Wolfpack 1/48 EA-6A cockpit set Wolfpack 48082 wing fold set for Revell EA-6A Wolfpack or Black Dog 1/48 S-3 Cockpit set (x2) Airdoc 48016 1/48 A-7D decals (specifically the Colorado ANG schemes) FOUND Caracal 48092 1/48 B-1B (specifically the "Dark Knight" scheme) Trade Only Items (no direct sales, so don't bother asking): - Hasegawa 1/48 F-14 kits with Aires detail sets. - Various Black Box cockpit sets. - Extensive library of ~500 deca
  15. Looking for both of these sheets. Send me a PM if you have one to sell.
  16. Typically, it takes a 20% off sale at Sprue Bros to even make it worthwhile. I live in WA state and get charged 10% sales tax from SB. Meanwhile, I can go over to scalehobbyist.com and get items for the same sales price as SB and only pay a flat shipping rate of $9.95 and no sales tax. That all being said, I was able to score two high priced kits that ultimately saved me ~$45 vs. buying from scalehobbyist. It really depends on the exact item. As for other sales I took advantage of: Reskit - 25% off Phase hanger - 20% off Flying leathernecks decals - 20% off
  17. Scale Hobbyist will beat SB on pricing 99% of the time. But SB tends to have a better selection of aftermarket items and ships much faster. I snagged two of the new Tamiya F-14A late kits from scale hobbyist for $89 each. Shipping was $10.
  • Create New...