Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

swbailey

Members
  • Content Count

    209
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About swbailey

  • Rank
    Tenax Sniffer (Open a window!)
  • Birthday 10/26/1959

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Dickinson, TX, USA
  • Interests
    US Coast Guard aviation, Small Air Forces, Anniversary & Special Paint Schemes, Colorful airliners, spaceflight, and American Civil War ironclads.

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Congratulations on a phenomenal build! You can be really proud of that one!
  2. Mr. Bailey,

     

       Many thanks for the elaboration on the actual outfit depicted by my recent T-33A build. I could have sworn I saw a "bird" almost identical to it when I was in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area back in the late 1980s. I was an aerospace engineer at the time and went to several chemical milling firms in the area.

       Mea culpa for the outfit's location error! I should have thought of Houston, too. I was guilty of past memories.

     

    Hoosier Flieger (Carl Jarosz)

  3. Beautiful build! The T-33 is such a sweet aircraft.. BTW, just to correct the description, the markings are for an aircraft of the 111th Fighter Squadron of the 147th Fighter Wing of the Texas Air National Guard. They are based at Ellington Field, just south of Houston, and like many ANG fighter units of the 1960s, 70s and 80s, they had T-33s attached to the unit as squadron utility aircraft performing familiarization flights, acting as an aggressor or as a fast transport for normally desk-bound officers who still needed to get in some flight time. Today the 111th is flying the MQ-9 Reaper. I work on Ellington Airport and see the 111th's birds in the air every so often.
  4. After a bit of dusting and cleaning, I went back to apply the RLM 76 Lichtblau to the undersides and sides of the two aircraft. Used some very old Humbrol, but it was still good even after 20+ years in the can. I was pleased with the results. Hopefully, this week I can start on the upper side colors...
  5. It's been quite a while since I've had a chance to work on my third entry to the group build, but this weekend, I got back at it. Just before I stopped working on it in April in order to finish other models for the big Model Mania contest in Houston, I got the two aircraft masked, primed and painted on the pre-shading for the panel lines.
  6. Incredible job! Can't wait to see the finished product!
  7. Nice work! It will be interesting to see what you can do to turn this rough kit into a presentable model!
  8. Haven't done a lot of work on the Fuhrungsmachine since I was concentrating on finishing my Fw-190D-11. However, I did start doing a little work this weekend. Put the canopy on the Ju-88 and masked it with Bare Metal foil. With a canopy that has so many panels, it can be a bit tedious... After masking I shot some RLM 66 Schwarzgrau to replicate the interior color of the canopy frames. Had enough extra paint, I sprayed it as a primer over my seams. They looked pretty good! Only a tiny bit of clean up to do on them and I'll be ready to prime and paint the model after minimal rescribing of a few deleted panel lines.
  9. ProModeler 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw-190D-11. Complete (with the exception of some exhaust stains which will be added shortly).
  10. Well, I am calling this one done. I added in the seatbelts, antennas, gun barrels and pitot tube and added some paint chips around the worked on areas. The seatbelts came from a vendor on eBay who sells printed belts on paper. I cut them out very carefully and close to the printed edges, then dip them in a mix of white glue and water. They are fragile, but once placed on the model, as they dry the hold their shape and stay stuck pretty well. If I want to remove them, all I have to do is to get them wet. Antenna wire is clear Stren fishing line. I will be doing some exhaust staining, but I discovered that when I went to add this to the model, my old pastels had been destroyed in Hurricane Harvey... so it's off to the art supply store. Overall, a fun build and my first World War II Luftwaffe aircraft in decades.
  11. Getting closer. After the decals were all on, I gave the model one more gloss coat then did some panel line washes using Tamiya black wash. After that, a coating of Testors Dull-coat before removing the Bare-Metal foil masks on the canopy and windscreen. Got the wheels and tires on and was very careful to get the alignment right because there are so many ways you can mess that up on an Fw-190... Still have to do some paint touch up, add the pitot tube, antennas, gun barrels, gear position indicators and the seat belts. After that, a touch of weathering and it should be done. Hopefully this weekend.
  12. Els- It actually wasn't that bad... The kit instructions had great diagrams showing the stripes in relation to the panel lines, so it was a good guide. I did use a small ruler as well to get the spacing correct. I started with the two belly stripes and worked outward, waiting for one set of stripes to set up before moving to the next stripe. I used Solvaset on them, so they snuggled into place pretty quickly. I only goofed up one line and got it a little cockeyed and had to remove it. Luckily, there were a set of stripes on the decal sheet for which there was no corresponding number on the instructions, so I used that to replace the one I buggered up.
  13. Oh, don't you know it. I feel luck that I get a few hours on the weekends. Looking forward to seeing this one done, as I saw the Turf & Sport Special at Dover a couple of years ago and it's a good looking bird!
×
×
  • Create New...