Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

rosspribbs

Members
  • Content Count

    6
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About rosspribbs

  • Rank
    Newbie

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. 82Whitey51, I had a set of old and I mean old decals from Superscale that I scanned on my computer for the Enola Gay specific markings. The Curtis Electric prop markings were from a pic I found on line and reduced and printed out on clear decal paper. The rest were kit decals. Since I had the old decals I did not look for them on line. There was an article in FSM a few months ago, in which a gentlemen built a regular B-29, but I thought he addressed most of the construction problems concerning the Revell kit pretty well. Ross Pribbs
  2. OK, here are a few more pics. The last one shows the stand I built to hold her while I finished her up.
  3. To all who have this kit in their stash, check the decals for the correct national markings, i.e. "Stars and Bars". The kit I received had no red bar on the US national insignia. I contacted Heller and they were aware of the problem and were supposedly ordering corrected decals. I did not wait for them, I purchased aftermarket decals so I could complete the build. Again thanks for all the complements. Ross
  4. This is the 1/72 scale Heller E-3 Sentry kit I built for a former squadron-mate and friend. He was a member of the mission crew in the back, flying many missions during the Second Iraq war. He had seen some of my previous builds and requested that I build an AWACS for him. After discussing what he wanted and what options were available, he provided a photo of the A/C that he flew the majority of his missions on. I suggested that adding some AGE and maintenance personnel would provide scale reference. The kit was supplemented with Flight Path resin engines. The Flight Path set included photo-etch parts for the engines, landing gear, roto-dome and air-frame. Also added was a resin antenna upgrade set from Contrail Models. This consisted of the phased array antenna on the fuselage sides, along with the chin array and the tail sensor. Hasegawa maintenance personnel and AGE equipment kits were used. I created the tail markings on my computer. I used Model Master Voodoo Gray (which I am told is the closest match to the Boeing gray paint used on the real thing). The flight line base was created using artists paper glued to ¾ inch thick plywood. I used Google Earth to look at the flightline at Tinker to determine the correct size of the concrete sections, proper markings and staining. I drew the lines for the concrete sections with a pencil and used artists acrylic paints to create shadows and depth, along with stains. And for all you former USAF aircraft maintenance folks, note that all personnel are wearing reflective belts and double hearing protection. You’re just going to have to trust me on the last item. All in all a very challenging, yet enjoyable project. The best part of the build was the reveal to my friend, who was extremely pleased with the end result. A win/win.
  5. Thanks to all for the kind words. The finish is a combination of two types of Bare Metal foil, regular kitchen aluminum foil, Testors Model Master Metalizer laquers and enamel paints. I removed the raised panel lines then scribed and riveted new ones. I completely removed the upper and lower gun positions by cutting them away. I backed the resulting large holes with thin aluminum sheet curved to match the fuselage. After the fuselage halves were assembled, plastic sheeting was placed over the aluminum sheet and blended in using thick super glue as a filler. If anyone would like, I have some pics and can post them in the in progress section.
  6. My third attempt at converting the Revell (Monogram) B-29 to the Enola Gay. I think I may have finally succeeded.
×
×
  • Create New...