Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hobby-On

Members
  • Content Count

    16
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Hobby-On

  • Rank
    WasatchAviator

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    wasatchmodeler.blogspot.com/

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. As normal, I was playing with my phone when I should have been paying attention during church and stumbled upon a few photos of a downed FW190 that caught my eye. I was then inspired to recreate the aircraft. I spent some time researching what happened with the crash but was unable to pull up much detail from the story. I took this as an opportunity to add some creative license and not base it on actual events. I had lying around an 1/48 Eduard FW190 that I bought on sale a while back. this is a great kit with good detail and I felt a bit bad destroying it but it only cost me around $25. I looked at various techniques involving aluminum foil and other methods but I decided to try my hand at some experimenting. My method was to put in a round cutting bit into my Dremmel and start thinning the plastic from the inside of the airframe. This worked great! All I had to do from here is start denting the wings and literally tearing the fuselage in two. Now that the tail was separated, I had to add some ribbing and wires on the inside. For this i used the usual evergreen plastic and solder wire. To simulate the damaged ailerons and elevators I used the Dremmel bit to cut it down to the frames. It turned out ok but it did not simulate the fabric too well and wish I went with other methods. I experimented with tape on the rudder and it worked decent. I didn't do too much damage to the cockpit as I did not want this to be a plane that was out there for decades. The kit came with photo etch belts and I decided to cut them up as they were likely one of the first things to go. At this point the plane needed more detail. I decided to purchase an Eduard Resin engine to match. The engine was a bit finicky and did not want to mount correctly but the detail is great. Pastels were used to simulate rust on the exhaust. Since the aircraft was shot down, it needed some bullet holes. On one side of the airframe I drilled out holes and on the other side I used the previously mentioned technique of thinning the plastic to a point where light would be able to be seen through it. I then used a blade to simulate the exit wound. For the canopy I drilled out a hole and added scratches from the stress. Weathering One thing I wish I did was not used the kit decals and used paint. The weathered markings would have looks much more authentic. Live and learn... Beyond that I sprayed the the model with a metallic paint and then used chipping fluid from AK on top. From there i used filters to diffuse the paint and then more oil to represent dirt as well as rain streaks on the side. Overall, this was one of the most enjoyable projects I have completed. I entered it into a local competition and took a silver as well as a special award for Best Luftwaffe Aircraft. Article HERE
  2. Barracuda placards HGW Seat Belts Fundecals stencils Model World Decals CMK Wheels Added wiring with solder Paint is alclad airframe aluminum This brought home a Gold medal at a Local IPMS with a special award for best American WW2 Aircraft
  3. Windsor and Newton for flat. Aqua gloss sometimes otherwise the tried and true Future for gloss.
  4. Looks like the sanding and buffing will work. When I was trying earlier, I was not going deep enough. Will send photos of the before and after.
  5. Lately I have been using tamiya cement to fix my clear parts and it has been working well until now. I had a little too much solvent on my brush and got a little drip on the windscreen. What can I do to fix? Tried sanding it smooth but it looks like it changed the clear plastic into white plastic... Thinking 1. Drill out and fill in 2. Cover with "Oil drips" from prop (this is the AH-1Z) 3. Try to get a new part from Academy?
  6. Finished. Took Gold in 1/32 Prop Aircraft and Best WW2 American Aircraft.
  7. Took gold along with Best WWII American Aircraft!
  8. Hopefully not too dirty. Wanted it to look as it did in theater. Entering it into competition this weekend...
  9. Great job. Inspires me for my next project. Only advice I might give is that the wheels look clean compared to the rest of the model.
  10. Haven't posted in a while but here we go... Tamiya p-51D in 1/32 Baracudacals placards HGW seat belts Cushion/inflatable made out of putty
  11. This is my build of the Great Wall Hobby kit in 1/48. My link
  12. The instructions for the for the F4U-1 say xf-5:2 + xf-8:1 that's two parts flat green and one part flt blue. So kinda a blue/green on early birdcages. I chose a darkened zinc chromate. I am not sure when they chose to go to a black sidewall. The manual for the 1a has a yellow/green for most of the cockpit.
  13. Engine is stock but I added wire with Solder wire.
  14. Finished with cockpit. Using Barracuda Decals and HGW fabric seat belt
×
×
  • Create New...