Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Search the Community

Showing results for tags '1/48 kinetic royal navy sea harrier frs.1'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • General Discussion - NO POLITICS
    • General Discussion
    • Tools 'n' Tips
    • Test Post Clubhouse
    • Research Corner
    • Forum FAQ
  • Sponsors' Forums
    • Zactomodels
    • Caracal Models
    • GT Resin Products Products
    • Reid Air Publications
    • Hobbydecal Dry Transfer System
    • Hobbystuff Depot
    • North American Hobbies
  • Aircraft Modeling Forums
    • Today's Birds
    • Jet Modeling
    • Props
    • Helicopter Modeling
    • Classic Aviation Forum
    • Sci-Fi Modeling
    • Airliner Modeling
    • Real Space Modeling
    • Dioramas
    • In-Progress Pics
    • The Display Case
    • Critique Corner
    • Aviation Art
    • Archives and Completed Events
    • Non-Aircraft Modeling
  • Group Builds
    • Current Group Builds
    • Completed Group Builds
    • Group Build Banners
  • Armor Modeling Forums
  • Auto Modeling Forums
  • Ship Modeling
  • Figure Modeling
  • Classifieds

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 1 result

  1. G'day people, I have been sitting on this kit waiting for some extra bits to arrive. The itch to start got the better of me so scalpel in hand I took the plunge. There are lots of reviews around so if you want to find out what is in the box, the internets are at your disposal. Interestingly, two sets of wings are provided. One wing is for the previously released Sea Harrier FA.2 boxing. The only difference that I could find is that the FA.2 wing has the second vortex generator (from the inboard end) deleted FA.2 FRS.1 To ensure that I did not accidentally attach the incorrect wing, the FA.2 wing parts and FA.2 instrument panel were placed in a separate bag and went to the 'spares' box. I also decided that the APU exhaust was too shallow as depicted in the kit so I cut out the moulded mesh area and reshaped according to references. A few more parts were added to dress up the area Looking at the cockpit, the console details look adequate and I preferred the moulded detail to the coloured PE overlays. Apart from a dodgy colour match, the PE overlays look too flat. The aft cockpit bulkhead detail is busy but seems very spurious. I sanded this detail off and decided to start from scratch. The cockpit sidewalls on the Sea Harrier (SHAR) are quite busy, however the fuselage halves are completely bereft of any details. I now assembled the ejection seat halves, leaving off the seat cushion and back pad as there is a nasty seam running through the seat pan and parachute head box that is best dealt with whilst this part is not fitted. I brushed on some thick sprue glue and left it to set. The seat seems to feature two handles, one on each side of the seat bucket. The one on the right seems correct, but left side one looks like a duplicate. The left side of the seat lacks the Personal equipment Connector (PEC) assembly There is a Pavla resin MB.10 seat as an alternative, but it is much larger in height that the kit supplied seat. The kit seat fits on a raised plinth. This gives the impression that the seat is not resting on the floor, which is entirely correct. In order to fit the Pavla seat, the builder would need to remove the plinth and the seat would sit on the floor which would be incorrect. As it stands, the kit seat has some very nice and delicate details, with the addition of some basic details and PE belts I do not think a resin seat would be an improvement, especially if it is dimensionally innaccurate. This was also the time that some more PE details could be added, mainly associated with the u/c bays. The aft cockpit bulkhead doubles as the front of the nose gear bay. The main gear bay and speed brake well was assembled and some PE details installed In order to install the small brass box into the corner, there is some raised detail in the form of a horizontal bar that needs to be partially removed. Removing this would be a LOT easier if done before the bay is assembled! I now turned to the nose gear bay proper. Curiously, Kinetic have moulded a semi-circular recess in the rear halves. This is a feature of the outside halves but the interior section should have flat walls that meet in a horizontal 'V' at the back. The builder could just ignore this feature as it is deep inside the nose gear bay and not easily seen but I could not let it go. I scraped off the extant detail and glued in some sprue sections using CA, Some heavy sanding ensued and when the dust finally cleared, I was left with this blank canvas cheers, Pappy
×
×
  • Create New...