Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Search the Community

Showing results for tags '1/48 tamiya f-14a'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • General Discussion - NO POLITICS
    • General Discussion
    • Tools 'n' Tips
    • Test Post Clubhouse
    • Research Corner
    • Forum FAQ
  • Sponsors' Forums
    • Zactomodels
    • Caracal Models
    • GT Resin Products Products
    • Reid Air Publications
    • Hobbydecal Dry Transfer System
    • Hobbystuff Depot
    • North American Hobbies
  • Aircraft Modeling Forums
    • Today's Birds
    • Jet Modeling
    • Props
    • Helicopter Modeling
    • Classic Aviation Forum
    • Sci-Fi Modeling
    • Airliner Modeling
    • Real Space Modeling
    • Dioramas
    • In-Progress Pics
    • The Display Case
    • Critique Corner
    • Aviation Art
    • Archives and Completed Events
    • Non-Aircraft Modeling
  • Group Builds
    • Current Group Builds
    • Completed Group Builds
    • Group Build Banners
  • Armor Modeling Forums
  • Auto Modeling Forums
  • Ship Modeling
  • Figure Modeling
  • Classifieds

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 1 result

  1. Greetings ARC! I would like to present my VF-124 Bicentennial F-14A. All I wanted for Christmas last year was the new Tami-cat and my wife graciously delivered, so here we are 7 months later with a finished build! It was built straight from the (amazing) kit except for the decals. About those decals...They are from Eagle Strike and I found them on EBay last fall. They definitely showed their age and I had some cracking issues on the larger ones, like the wing glove stripes (which do not marry up to the swing wing opening perfectly- they are too big). For those wishing to do this scheme, the nose decal fits well enough, but is oversized slightly and overlaps on the bottom (you have to repaint half a star that gets lost in the overlap). I decided to paint the red, white, and blue stripes as opposed to using the decals on the empennage and wings. I found MM Acryl "Guards Red" and "Dark Sea Blue" to be the closest matches out of the bottle. The airframe stencils were mostly from the kit, as well as the Microscale Tomcat Data sheet. I robbed a pair of "Stars and Bars" for the fuselage from a Furball decal set since the kit only contains US Insignia attached to the Jolly Rogers and Langley stripes. Mike Grant cockpit decals were used for some of the larger cockpit instruments. The rest of the model was painted using Gunze 315, 316, and various shades of Alclads and Metalizers for the exhaust. I decided to use Bare Metal Foil "Matte Aluminum" on the leading edges of the stabs and wings after seeing Brett Green's build in Military Illustrated Modeler. Exhaust areas were stained using Tamiya clear acrylics and Tamiya weathering sets. The model was varnished with Gunze Super Clear III and given an enamel wash with Ammo of MIG "Sky Grey". I used Tamiya X-35 "Semi-Gloss" clear as the final coat and I must say it sprays beautifully and leaves a wonderful sheen. This was a labor of love and I found myself pushing towards the end to finish in time for US Nats. This will be my first time ever at a Nats and I'm looking forward to seeing all the Tami-cats there! I apologize for my photography in advance- I used my iPhone and black poster board since I don't have a fancy camera. Anyways, enough rambling, on to the pictures! Thanks for looking! Steve
×
×
  • Create New...