Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'black knights'.
Found 1 result
Hello dear modelers! I'm currently working on some new projects one of this being a Delta Dagger. I'd like to represent a 57th FIS machine -the famous Black Knights- which one not decided jet but surely -in ADC grey -one of the William Tell 1972 participants. If You can recall it...it's a real classic with the striking high viz colors and the art on the external fuel tanks representing a black knight riding an f-102a siluette and chasing an escaping bear! The kit: The extras: Master excellent pitot, Quick boost resin sets... Reskit excellent wheels, Pavla resin cockpit set. Some useful resources: I spend some works about decals: There're several producers offering this subject on their range...Xtradecal, Print Scale, Fundekals and last but not least there's an old Microscale sheet. I purchased three sheets in the following order: First the Microscale (on the left side of the following picture-partially used by the previous owner), then the Xtradecal set (on the right) and to conclude the Fundekals sheet together with its stencils (sold separately-in the centre of picture). I found the Microscale sheet not to be up to date to today's printing standards but was and is very accurate and the closest to the subject I was looking for. A pity was to discover that the black knight art was printed in dark blue color while in reality it was black! And the 57th badge was very bad printed even if a very accurate match to the one sported on the f-102a tail: So I purchased the Xtradecal sheet and found myself really disappointed about its accuracy. There's few good in this sheet as we'll soon see So to conclude after doing some researches I decided to purchase the Fundekal sheet even if I knew the knight and bear logo was missing in it. I purchased it basically to find good alternatives for the fin badges. And to say it all in this set they are the best I found. But still I was not happy so I was in the middle of the act of buying also the Print Scale decal set when I thought: I'LL DO IT MYSELF!!! I first worked on the 57th fin badge and the result is the following: I started from a picture found on the web reworked with Paint and converted with Inkscape. It has been a major achievement over all the others as You can see on the next comparative picture: I still have a soft corner for the Microscale one which would be perfect and better than mine if a better printing technology had been available when it was produced in the eighties! The same I did with the knight and bear logo as you can see here by (note also how inaccurate and undersized the Xtradecal logo is): So here my complete decal set: From the Microscale sheet I'm going to use just the afterburner flames That's all for tonight. Hope to get you interested in following my new project. Bye Giovanni