Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'jstars'.
Found 2 results
1) The Model - Airfix 1/72 E-3D converted to an E-8C using the Flightpath conversion set 2) Year/Month started - According to my first build thread it was on July 14, 2016, so one of the later additions to the Shelf 3) When the project stalled and why - I had an issue with the engines, the tailpipes had been over sanded and I was not happy with there shape/condition, then there were some poorly rescribed panel lines and seams that needed correcting. Since the last image in the second build thread, it has had a lick of paint which I was not overly happy about. 4) What is left to do - Check base colour paintwork (again), respray as required. Finish detail painting - engines, wheels, antennas, and decal it! Maybe some weathering as well if I feel like it. Current condition photos to follow
So I got this as a bagged kit a few years back. I built this one in the mid-1980s and really liked it. I have a sealed one but ran across this one that was only supposed to be missing the large radar disk and supports. For a $1 I could not go wrong. I thought I could track down the missing parts...well, no joy there. So I thought perhaps make it a JSTAR with the extras that come in the Minicraft series of 707/KC-135/E-3/E-8 family of kits. Long story short I was able to get the lower fuselage pod, antennas and decals from the Minicraft E-8 JSTARS from a fellow here on ARC. So, once I started on it and got the fuselage nose weight added and painted the cockpit black. Then I moved to the wings and after getting them together I went looking to assemble the engines. Come to find out my bagged special was missing those parts as well! So, I punted and bagged it all up and left it alone. Our very own Ernie (ModelMax) on ARC occasionally sells parts kits and started stuff. He recently posted the wings and engines from the Minicraft VC-137 kit. TA DA! So I got ahold of him and the parts are now with me and allowed me to start back up on this build. The engine nacelle mounts need to be tweaked to fit the Revell wings but it will all work. So, I puttied up the sink holes in the fuselage and am back on a roll with it. The basic structure is together. The wings have tabs that interlock and give the correct angle. So I put them in each side of their respective fuselage halves and before gluing the fuselage I put glue on the tabs. Once this set up then I glued the wing root seams in place. After this set up I then glued the fuselage halves together. I did this literally panel by panel along the fuselage as the fuselage had some very mild warpage. This was tedious, to say the least! I then put a thin layer of filler on the seams. Finally, I glued the radome and the horizontal stabilizer assembly in. Later, Lee