Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'nova c-8'.
Found 1 result
johnlove_mk_II posted a topic in Real Space ModelingAnyone familiar with me, especially here on ARC, knows that I’ve been tinkering around with building a 1/72 Saturn model for the better part of five years. (Yes, five.) There have been many starts and just as many stops, all with long stretches of time in between. During that time I’ve learned a lot of new techniques and have been able to produce some 3D models of the Saturn that I’m quite satisfied with. The problem is I didn’t have anything physical to show for all the work, and producing it would be extraordinarily expensive, especially at the resolution that would produce the detail I’m looking for. I do think that it will be an option in the future, especially since SLA Printers are becoming a little more affordable. I guess it would be prudent to start squirreling away some cash for that eventuality … but right now, Johnny wants a rocket. For the past few months, I’ve been building a couple of 1/72 Saturn Vs from Dragon kits. I haven’t been quibbling too much on the horrid inaccuracies, I’ve just been building. Mainly to try to recapture the enjoyment I get from constructing these things, but also to actually have a couple of really cool display pieces for the study. Mind you, I have been adding a few details here and there, but I’ve been mostly just building it OOB and I do have to admit that it’s been a very enjoyable experience. One will be the Skylab 1 launch vehicle and the other, I’m thinking, will represent the Apollo 16 launch vehicle. It's like Michoud on my desk. So far building the two Saturn Vs simultaneously has been a pretty easy affair. You make two sets of parts, then apply two sets of parts. I’m closing in on having both S-ICs ready for final assembly. I’m hoping the S-II will go together in a similar, relaxed fashion … I don’t think it will, but let’s hope. So here’s the crazy bit. I’ve got three Dragon Saturn kits that I’m using for these builds. Since I’m almost completely redoing the way the S-IIs are constructed, I’ll be using a couple of the third kit’s skirt sections to rebuild the forward skirt areas. This is going to leave me with a lot of 5.5” dia. tank sections and other parts. So rather than let those go to waste, I was thinking that I’d build something that was somewhat ludicrous, but really, really cool – a Nova C-8 as proposed for the Apollo Direct Ascent plan. Most tube diameters coincide with schedule 40 PVC/ABS pipe sizes available at the Home Depot, so This may never actually happen, but it would be epic. So yeah, three rockets – I’m going to give it a go. I’ll post soon to catchup to where the build is currently, but in the interim … imagine the eventual end-product looking something like this. Ceiling tiles.