Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'wild weasel'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • General Discussion - NO POLITICS
    • General Discussion
    • Tools 'n' Tips
    • Test Post Clubhouse
    • Research Corner
    • Forum FAQ
  • Sponsors' Forums
    • Zactomodels
    • Caracal Models
    • GT Resin Products Products
    • Reid Air Publications
    • Hobbydecal Dry Transfer System
    • Hobbystuff Depot
    • North American Hobbies
  • Aircraft Modeling Forums
    • Today's Birds
    • Jet Modeling
    • Props
    • Helicopter Modeling
    • Classic Aviation Forum
    • Sci-Fi Modeling
    • Airliner Modeling
    • Real Space Modeling
    • Dioramas
    • In-Progress Pics
    • The Display Case
    • Critique Corner
    • Aviation Art
    • Archives and Completed Events
    • Non-Aircraft Modeling
  • Group Builds
    • Current Group Builds
    • Completed Group Builds
    • Group Build Banners
  • Armor Modeling Forums
  • Auto Modeling Forums
  • Ship Modeling
  • Figure Modeling
  • Classifieds

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 1 result

  1. Hello, Didn't think I'd be able to join in, but here I am after all. Just happens that I needed an early F-105F for my Wild Weasel collection, and since I was fortunate enough to find a sheet of 1/72 Wolfpak decals "Sambuster & Tyke", which has marking for Leo Thorsness Medal Of Honor mission of April 1967, here we go. References for this build are the downloadable instructions for the decal sheet, as well as the Scale Models issue from March of 1985, which describes the difference in sensors, etc. for the Vietnam F-105 Wild Weasel aircraft. First a picture of the kit -- not to be confused with Monogram's earlier and very strange F-105 kit, which I seem to recall was an old box-scale kit. Forgive me if my memory is not accurate on this. The first order of business is to remove the external wing reinforcement panels from the top and bottom sides of each wing. Since this kit is made of silver plastic, the original panel lines etc. still show up after being sanded off. While this is great if you choose to re-scribe all panel lines (I have done a few!), it is not good for recognizing when you have sanded the details away -- without sanding too far into the model. To help with this problem, I surround the area to be sanded with sticky masking tape (in this case 3M's safe release painter's tape), to within about 2mm of the detail I want to keep. Then, I scribe all the panel lines with a #11 X-acto blade, just to I can touch them up later. As seen on the wing on the left, I have used a sanding stick (320 grit?) to sand down just until the tape starts to "feather edge", while trying to follow -- not flatten -- the contour of the wing. If you compare the sanded wing (A) to the untouched wing (B), you will see that the wing on the left seems to still have the reinforcement panel present. This is not so; it is an optical illusion, and the very reason I used the masking tape trick to keep from sanding too deep! The top sides of the wings (below) show the results of this process after sanding and priming if needed, more sanding could be done, but in this case, the masking tape trick did it's job: The arrow shows the wingtip antenna that needs to be removed, while (A) shows where the little "stalk" antenna has been removed. By the way, these two little spots were one of the only two places where any filler was needed on this kit, the other being on the nose, to fill the unwanted six exhaust ports on the right side of the nose: The proper area on the nose was taped just like the wings, the 3M spot putty was used to fill the six unwanted holes. After drying, the filler was sanded down until the tape started to feather edge, and then I knew when to quit. The nose was then slightly re-scribed and then primed. Next the wing halves were glued together, then the appropriate areas of the main gear well (including the wing spar) were primed and the paint FS 34151 Interior Green. For this whole model, I will use Alclad II grey primer, and some Alclad II metallic colors, For all other colors except for the camo colors, I'll use Model Master enamels. For the camo colors, I'll use Colourcoats enamels: Please forgive the poor picture, but I had guests for the Thanksgiving Day holiday, and couldn't set up proper lighting. Next the needed air scoops were added to the fuselage sides (A) and the little exhaust scoop (B) where shown. Please note that the "B" scoop is for exhaust, hence the openings face rearward! Now, I'm close to closing up the fuselage, except for painting, assembling and installing the cockpit: (A) shows the unglued wing spar, and (C) is the added nose weight, glued in with canopy white glue. (B) shows the nose gear well, which I glued to one side with liquid glue. I then held the fuselage halves together, to align the gear well properly from side to side, before the glue sat up. Otherwise, it would have ended up off to one side, despite the depressed area of the kit that was supposed to help align itself! Well, that's all for now -- off to paint the cockpit! Later, Ed
×
×
  • Create New...