can i use Easy off oven cleaner to remove chrome plating?

Yes, but in my opinion it is a PITA. I would recommend using something like Polly Scale Easy-Lift-Off, Hangar3 Stripper, Chameleon Stripper, White Wall Bleche, or CSC. They are much more effective and won't require tedious scrubbing.

Hmmmm..........Which Easy Off you using? The nice smelling stuff that isn't as harsh was just a hush offering from them to keep the tree huggers happy. :thumbsup:

Seriously, you have to use the real easy off, not the nice smelling, user friendly stuff. I found the best way to use it is to coat the part with easy off and put in a big tupperware bin I have and let it bake in it's own fumes. Only had minimal scrubbing to do, nothing teadious.

Yes, but in my opinion it is a PITA. I would recommend using something like Polly Scale Easy-Lift-Off, Hangar3 Stripper, Chameleon Stripper, White Wall Bleche, or CSC. They are much more effective and won't require tedious scrubbing.

Polly Scale ELO is just repackaged automotive brake fluid. Thats why it works so well for stripping paint. Just costs lots more than brake fluid does. I've also heard that brake fluid or ELO can be used to soak your airbrushes without damaging the rubber seals, someone in my club told me about it. I going to try it today.

Household bleach is the hassle free way to strip chrome, soak the parts and no scrubbing is required. Then you can reuse the bleach latter for another project.

Ron

Edited by is it windy yet?
Bleach requires no scrubbing at all, actually....just leave it in a container of bleach, come back in a while and the work's been done!

Correct!

Oven Cleaners on plating,doesnt required any scrubbing...

I have used Easy Off (Yellow Can not Blue) for several years thanks to doing mostly automotive kits (Hate chrome engines and grilles on a car that had painted grillwork)

A little brushing with the old toothbrush and all the chrome and the clear varnish was gone in a few hours.

ELO I tried and was not too thrilled as it did not get all the chrome off.

Left the chrome in the grooves and crannies and not amoount of scrubbing got it out, So clean water wash, dry and recoat with Easy Off.

bleach took lots of time to soak and again I had to break out the old scrubby brush..., that did not get all the varnish off the parts, so again had to flush the parts in clear water then back into the Easy Off

As to Brake Fluid.... I havent tried that... Might try it on a few grilles later this weeked...

William G