The last month has seen me expand my modeling horizons beyond the usual military aircraft. Now I have armor, figures, helicopters, and this: Minicraft's 1/144 757 in Northwest's latest scheme. Most of the painting is done (on the wings and fuselage, at least) but the decals are still drying.

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

Does it occur to anyone else that these things are the height of bravery? Airliners typically involve white, metal finishes, long, straight 'water-" or "cheat-lines," and invariably either copious decals with lots of clear decal film?

That can't have been an easy build, but it looks great!

Thanks. I used Xtracolor's Northwest colors (undercoat is gray followed by a few coats of clear pearl). I thinned with lacquer and they still took a long time to dry. In fact, I painted the fuselage in mid-August. The wings were Tamiya acrylics mixed to taste.

The fit of the kit was pretty atrocious in places, especially the wing to fuselage joints.

WOW! That looks great! What paint did you use for the fuselage? It looks like it has a hint of pearl in it.I've been meaning to get a Minicraft 757. How did your's fit?

:lol:

John

WOW David, nice effort! :thumbsup: Are those the kit decals?

I have found with extracolor that they tend to take a while to dry. I have used general purpose thinners to thin it down and drying time has reduced from a week to a day or 2.

I have built a couple of these and the wing fuselage join is the biggest head ache if you are not concerned with other shape issues of the kit.

Keep the updates coming, you are doing a great job there my man :D

:cheers:

Edited by Aussie747
Looks great Dave! Nice and smooth on the paint...excellent! :banana:

(Interesting how Northwest screwed-up their own logo. Notice how the triangle points to the "northeast" on the right side of the jet.)

(Marketing weenies strike again.)

Excellent Build!

Regards,

Pig

Hmmm, I had thought the triangle was there to form the top of a "N" myself ... Interesting take Pete, hadn't looked at the logo that way before ...

As all have said David, very nice build !!!

Gregg

Yeah, there was quite a bit of joking within the industry once that paint scheme came out that it was only Northwest Airlines if you were looking at the correct side of the airplane. Seems no one noticed when the scheme was being designed.

Northwest Airlines:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1110527/M/

"Northeast" Airlines:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1113239/M/

The previous scheme with the compass correctly pointing to the northwest:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1106001/M/

Edited by David Walker

The NW logo is pure genius. It's an N. It's a W. It's a compass pointing Northwest.

I think whoever did the new livery, didn't realize what the logo was, and just thought "N with a triangle" and didn't realize it was backwards on one side of the new scheme. The official answer from NW when this was pointed out was "now it points to the future" (as it now always points towards the front of the plane--ahead). Which is IMHO excellent damage control. (Better to spout out some market-speak BS than to admit a mistake or change things)

PS---am I the only one who hates the "logo so big it doesn't fit on the tail" trend? NW n/c, UAL n/c, etc.

The "N" and the "W" show in the old livery and are pretty clear in this photo:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1106001/M/

If you connect the point in the circle to the "N" it becomes a "W". Leave them seperate and it's an "N" and a needle on a compass pointed northwest. In the new livery you've just got the point, which now points in the wrong direction on the compass on the starboard side of the aircraft.