Tamyia F-22 Raptor

I took a look and you can tell from the photo it has weapons bays, but the rest...who knows. Why hasn't anyone heard about this kit? The only one I know of out there is the Italeri kit, which has some flaws, but basically looks like a Raptor when built up. Anyone out there know about this Tamiya Raptor and can tell us anything?

I took a closer look on another web site and if I had my guess it looks like a Tamiya rebox of the Italeri kit. The reason I say this is I noticed that they also have a Sea Flanker kit which is definitely a Italeri rebox. I recognize the parts and directions (thumbnailed) as I built that kit years ago when it was first released. They also have the F-35, another kit that is known only to have been produced in 1/72 by Italeri. Still even if the F-22 is a Italeri rebox, it looks pretty good in the pics. I was not aware of the optional open weapons bays and bombs on the wings. Looks worth building to me. I wonder what the heck is holding up Hasegawa on producing a Raptor now that it is in service. Hell, they produced the F-18 in both 1/72 and 1/32 while it was still a prototype.

I have the kit.

Its simply a rebox of the Italeri kit. I believe the decals are the same too.

Tamiya reboxed many other Italeri's stuff too. Their F/A-18E, Su-27, Sea flanker, F-35, F-117A, F-16, YF-22A and many others.

Edited by dreammh

Tamiya has an arrangement that is similar to what Hasegawa does with Monogram/Revell kits in Japan in terms of reboxing them with new decals. They've been doing it for many years now. Sometimes, you might get an extra parts tree (such as in the case of an early 1980s vintage Tamiya boxed Italeri 1/48 SR-71 which included two pressure suited pilot figures). But most of the time it is the same plastic.

it's hard to ascribe the term "best" to any F-22 kit out there... each one is pretty much as worthless as the next. None of them represent a line jet, being pretty much a prototype only kit.

That said, if you're not a rivet-counter or angle-measurer, it'll get you through. It looks close enough to a raptor that people aren't going to confuse it for another jet.