Just got my AC-130U in the mail today.........

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

It looks good,I haven't opened it yet.On the box it says "detailed interior" what do that mean?How detailed,does it have the computers in the cargo bay?This kit is BIG!Can't wait to start on'er.

LB

Edited by LITTLE BIRD 117
Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

The reason is dumb to you guys probably,but someone wants me to leave it closed and I will do so unless there is detail,put it this way the person who gave it to me as a gift said don't open it unless you are going to build it,and I will only do so if there is a detailed interior.If you want proof I have it I will ind some way of proving it.

LB

There is detail inside such as the control booth, guns and ammo can(s) and the old-style flare launcher. This kit is really that of an AC-130H with extra parts to make it a U-Boat. It's AMT so it's not exactly the best detail. Best way you'll see it will be if you leave the aft ramp open.

Is this the 1/72 AMT kit? I had one once, but since sold it. Don't remember much, but I do remember I wasn't impressed with the interior. Think the fire control cabin in the back was just a large undetailed box. Wasn't too impressed with the cockpit either and thought that was inferior to the Italeri kit. I think it may have a crude semblance of an interior, but nothing I'd call "detailed".

Some pictures of my built "H" of AMT. I added some details...

Left side:

SpectreBau4.jpg

Right side:

SpectreBau1.jpg

Both together:

SpectreBau3.jpg

The sensor box with added detail (a console of the Italeri SH-60B Seahawk, of course it´s not visibla after I completed the built...):

SpectreBau2.jpg

The guns (if I recall correctly the 105mm comes from the Airfix-kit):

SpectreGuns.jpg

Front sensor, original kit part:

SpectreSensor1.jpg

Front sensor, scratchbuilt part:

SpectreSensor2.jpg

Aerial gunners, spotters:

SpectreCrew.jpg

At work:

SpectreInnen3.jpg

SpectreInnen6.jpg

Edited by Hajo L.
Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

:thumbsup: Hajo man that is NICE!Looks like there is no ribing so I'd have to do that,I have never seen myself the interior of an AC-130U,besides pics on the net that arn't very good,but all the computers and battle managment center stuff is in a big "Box?"Thanx again guys,this might be a tuff build since I want to make it real accurate.I am going to hsve to find me an arfix kit that is open or somthing like that and get that gun out of it.Thsnks again for the pics Hajo.

LB

The AMT-kit gun wasn´t sooo bad, no need to buy an extra Airfix Spectre. I just happened to have both kits at hand (bought them from a friend) and therefor decided to use the Airfix-gun. And IIRC, the "U"-model has a different gun mounting in the kit, since the 105mm weapon station differs a bit from the "H".

HAJO

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Ok,then go with the kit gun,got it.I think if I got the flight path detail set for the ingines and for the interior that would help alot,now I just gotta mainly work on the ribbing.I havn't done this before,I guess I could try it on my mh-53j,cuase I am only still on the intirior.Thanx again this is great,I hope to have pix of both builds for ya.

LB

P.S. Hajo,looks like ya got some frost up wear ya are.

I can't complain too much about the AMT kit of the U-boat, since she is the only 1/72 offering. That being said, I will now complain about the AMT kit.

The interior SUCKS. Big time. The 25mm and 105mm are external only, and the BMC (battle management center) is just a box, not even the right size box....it's good for an H, but wrong for the U. There are no ASHS (ammo storage and handling system), which take up a majority of the space in the real aircraft. There is no forward or aft observer station, the windows are there for those stations, but no interior.

The outboard wing pylons and IRCM pods are wrong (no problem if you are doing a current model, except for the whole scratch-building of the DIRCM pods).

However, I still think it is a better attempt than the Italeri 1/48 offering. Either way, good luck.

Cheers

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Umrigz,

Thanx for the help.I was planing on scratch building alot,just not that much oh well.My main plan is to make a super detailed interior,battle managment center,forward observer,and mission avionocs,but there are no pics on the net.I know with all the securtity you probably can't post pics,but can you give me a description of the shapes???????????Or somthing that would help?If I am asking for somthing I am not promited to see please,tell me and I am sorry I even asked if so.Thanks again.Oh ya,so the kit only comes with external guns?

LB :thumbsup:

I built (and photographed) the model last winter.

The guns are not really "external" only, IIRC the sprues of the "H" (which are inlcuded) have the guns like shown on my picture, the "U"-guns are, since their mounts are covered with a blanket, "barrel-only" and don´t have any addititonal details.

HAJO

The guns are not really "external" only, IIRC the sprues of the "H" (which are inlcuded) have the guns like shown on my picture, the "U"-guns are, since their mounts are covered with a blanket, "barrel-only" and don´t have any addititonal details.

Um, that's what I meant by external only. Meaning, when you attach the gun to the aircraft, there is nothing showing on the inside, hence the external only comment.

Little Bird 117, here the best I could do for the layout:

AC-130U interior

It's not the best, but unfortunately due to certain circumstances, I am unable to post photos, or drawings. Sorry. I'll see if I can hand draw something and scan it in for you. I'll get back to you.

Cheers

The reason is dumb to you guys probably,but someone wants me to leave it closed and I will do so unless there is detail,put it this way the person who gave it to me as a gift said don't open it unless you are going to build it,and I will only do so if there is a detailed interior.If you want proof I have it I will ind some way of proving it.

Hmmm... sounds like a wife or girlfriend. :cheers: My wife would never buy me a model kit as a gift. She made me dump 60 of my kits four years ago and if she had her way again I'd have to pitch my other 100+ that are stored in the crawlspace.

Women! You can't live with them... the end. :cheers: <_<

Randy

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Hey Umrigz,

Thanks for the help,what color should the computers and other things be,white grey?I plan on making the ac-130u 514,not sure if it is at Hurlburt,I want to make one from there,cuase that is my favorite AF base.The kit comes with the decals for one at Hurby,the markings are of a moon with a demon skull on it with a minigun I believe.Thanks again.

LB

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

Here is a picture of the one I want to build,is there a specific patch that they were that I should look for on the net or Ebay?I just found a pic on jet photos of a computer inside 89-0514 that was greyish white with black,it wasn't to specific on were in the aircraft it was.It is spooky II I believe.

Here ya go...

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=384996

LB :huh:

Here is a picture of the one I want to build,is there a specific patch that they were that I should look for on the net or Ebay?I just found a pic on jet photos of a computer inside 89-0514 that was greyish white with black,it wasn't to specific on were in the aircraft it was.It is spooky II I believe.

Here ya go...

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=384996

LB :cheers:

The nose art on your picture is standard for all AC-130U's. When you ask what color the computers are...I'm not sure what you are referring to. The interior of the Battle Management Station is gunship grey FS36118. The keyboards and screens are black.

HTH

All U-boats are based at Hulburt... sir umgriz works there... :cheers:

BTW, sir umgriz, are the AC-130U population still 13, or they finally put the next 3 online?

Official population is 16, ship #17 is almost complete as we speak.

Edited by umgriz
  • 2 weeks later...