Use of Tamiya Smoke for weathering

I find that it's much more controllable if you use it as a wash. I normally use 1 part Tamiya smoke to 2 parts Tamiya acrylic thinner to 1 part flow enhancer. I've just used a Tamiya smoke wash to enhance the detail on a set of 1/35 shock abosrbers, and it worked well.

That said, I find that, in most circumstances, a black or dark brown ink wash works better, since it doesn't dry glossy.

Cheers,

Chris.

I use it as a wash for light wheel wells and landing gear as well. I thin it about 50/50 with tamiya thinner, but I like to add a little flat base to cut the sheen. Ive found that it works really well as a first wash for engines. After sparying with steel or aluminum, i will wash with smoke (with a little flat base and thinner) then when thats dry, a second wash with burnt sienna oils. looks nice and used and grimy!

I use it for all the methods above. On the attached photo of my F-101C Voodoo, I thinned it out and airbrushed the panel lines to accenetuate the weathering. Saw this on many of the NMF Century Series aircraft. [bTW: Steve, the article for this model was never archived. Must have gotten lost in the great hack of May 06].

000_0082.jpg

000_0088.jpg

Edited by Chorse6
  • 4 months later...

I thin Tamiya smoke with distilled water and use it for a wash over AS-12'd oleo legs and wheel hubs. Once they are coated with a flat coat it gives an excellent representation of flat weathered aluminium.

:angry:

MikeJ