I believe that's a deployed airbrake.

That's true. Spit brakes. Similar to the F-16's in basic concept, but splitting/opening to the sides instead of up/down.

Got some nice shots of a bunch of them out at AMARC. Visible through the fence if you park the car and walk a mile.

I have fond memories of the Florida ANG's F-106's always coming up for our open house's during the 1970's,I believe the same pilots brought them for nearly three years in a row,they were awesome and you could tell they loved thier aircraft.

I love all the Century Series aircraft but the Hun is my favorite :D

I believe that's a deployed airbrake.

It's also where the drogue chute was stored. The Six was a beautiful aircraft, I was happy to get a ride in one, when we did a deployment to Jax.

Regards,

Murph

...I was happy to get a ride in one, when we did a deployment to Jax.

How agile was the F-106, compared to late model birds like the F-15 or F-16, in terms of a turning fight? I realise they were designed when that sort of engagement wasn't in doctrinal style.

Edited by Fishwelding
The only sunset these ladies got was being popped by a missile or dumped in the ocean...

Yep, I love the "Six"! The "One-O-Wonder" and the "Six" are my favorite Century Series aircraft. She sure was a great looking aircraft :D .

Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Don

"When you're out of Sixes, you're out of interceptors..."

I just happen to be reading the Airtime Press book on the Century Series fighters, and am mid-way through the F-106 section. What a coincidence.

I seem to rememebr in the twighlight of its career they were testing the 106 as a dismliar agressor againt the 15&16's - handled I belioeve like a big Mirage , and could on occasions give the new guys a run for their money

The 106 always seemed have a aura of quality and supressed power kind of reminded me of a Jaguar E-type compare it to an F-4 , (which I love) which just looked like a big pick up truck

How agile was the F-106, compared to late model birds like the F-15 or F-16, in terms of a turning fight? I realise they were designed when that sort of engagement wasn't in doctrinal style.

Fish,

It flew almost exactly like a T-38, same type of buffet and high energy bleed rate, which is a compliment to the T-38's designed purpose of training students to fly the Century Series of fighters.. While it was maneuverable compared to an F-4 (which is not saying much) it was nowhere in the class of the Teen Series fighters. Or the T-37.

Regards,

Murph

Luckily, not all have be relagated to the boneyard or turned into flaming debris . . .

PCAM10.jpg

PCAM09.jpg

This one resides at the Pacific Coast Air Museum near Santa Rosa in northern California/USA. First 106 I've ever seen in the flesh (er, rather metal) and what struck me was how big it was . . . man, that sucker's huge!

And speaking of the Century Series, here's one of the afore mentioned 106's museum-mates . . .

PCAM08.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I wish I'd been old enough in the 60's and 70's to witness these Century Series a/c still flying :(

Not forgetting the awesome F-104 and Lightning from that era too :D

Not too much of a modern jet fighter fan...

Ah well, guess the pictures and modelling little scale replicas is as good as its gonna get these days.

I grew up very near the Atlantic City Airport, home of the 177th FIS, last operators of the F106. The Six was the most impressive aircraft I've ever had the pleasure to watch. (Second = RA5C, third = B52) The Six was loud, fast, good looking, climbed like a scaled ape and did I mention it was loud! In addition to the normal roar of the engine it also made a wierd moaning sound and the hard light of the afterburner had to be experienced to be believed!

They replaced the Six with the F16. The 16 is a far better weapon I'm sure, and that's what it's all about I know, but the Six had way more style and presence than the 16 does.

Clarence

Or the T-37.

We're all a bit on pins and needless around Murph. No one say anything that might remind him of his recent loss.

Murph, were should we send flowers in honor of the deceased, perhaps to AMARC? Or perhaps donate to a charity in the T-37's name? Perhaps the "Sub-Sonic Airplanes Support Society?" That's a good group; I hear they're doing wonderful things, helping lots of A-10s cope with their own unique life-challenges.

Edited by Fishwelding