F-18E/F role emphasis question...

Now that the F-18E and F are getting into service in decent numbers, can anyone tell me what the primary mission emphasis is going to be for each community? The two seat F-14 used to be the primary air superiority platform until the legacy F-18 established itself, then the Tomcat community focused more on air to ground. Has this mission emphasis continued with the transistion to the F? Are the E's the primary fighters now? I know both version are multi-mission capable, but certainly there is a difference in mission emphasis. Are there any differences in equipment fit?

AFAIK, the two seat model is the primary user of the SHARP. I have seen pics were both the E and F models are in the "wet-five" configuration (four fuel tanks and one aerial refueling pod). If you want pics of various loadouts for missions the E/F undertake, I would recommend that you go check out Navy.mil. :woot.gif:

HTH

Daniel

Edited by Super Hornet 88

I am no expert but my opinion is. "E" models will be more geared for air to air combat support but obviously can be configured for strike and tanking. The "F" models will be configured for strike but can also carry out air to air combat support and tanking equally as well as the "E" models. This opinion makes sense to me as just an observer.

From what I have heard from contacts on the inside the E will be Air to Air, Inflight refueling, and do some air to ground. The F will optimize for the recon, air to ground all weather, Fast FAC, and air to air

I know both version are multi-mission capable, but certainly there is a difference in mission emphasis.

Actually there isn't a formal, standardized one. However I think it would be prudent if things started migrating that way.

I'm probably out of line here, but I believe the primary mission of the -F model will be to provide continued job security for former Tomcat RIO's :wasntme:

If you like to think of the Forward Air Controller (Airborne) and Rescue Mission Coordinator roles as nothing more than a federal jobs program than I suppose you would be right.

...could be. On the other hand the family model could be for the former F-14 pilots who long ago forgot how to set up their radios...

Craig (running for cover...)

:crying: either!

Might be something to THAT theory :wasntme:

Friend of mine was a Tomcat pilot in VF-14, then did the transition. He tells the story of first CQ in the E model and getting sent for "comfort time" during night CQ (comfort time being something the carrier THINKS pilots need to get used to the dark or whatever, but no pilot I've ever known - or anyone else in the airplane for that matter - actually WANTS). His thought? "Hey - I'm lonely!!"

I've never seen anything official IRT roles and lanes for the types, and in CVW-14 we were all single seaters... and they did it all including FAC "A" and SHARP.

That said, when I was in CVW-11 and we had the alphabet air wing the emphasis was:

F-18A's (97) - A2G, primarily LGB experts. Feeling was it wasn't fair sending them A2A against the NSAWC guys with just Sparrows in the quiver.

C's (94) - A2A, JDAM

E's (14) - same as C's, add a squadron emphasis on SH breaks. In reality CAG was just happy when they figured out how to point the radar and talk on the radio by themselves...

F's (41) - A2G, SHARP, RMC, FACA, G-LOCing the Admiral (a shoe)....FWIW, over 1/2 of their WSO's started out life as the last batch of A-6BN's.

And the E's and F's shared the buddy pod - the E has a little more give, the F allows the CVW Staff NFO's to get flight time on tanker hops without going far away or getting shot at.

The above said, after workups and Fallon, it was back to everyone doing everything as the Hornet/Rhino training matrix requires. SHARP, FACA and RMC stayed as an F only gig, and only the F's got the ATFLIR pods we had (just a few back in 2003).

HTH

Spongebob

I've never seen anything official IRT roles and lanes for the types, and in CVW-14 we were all single seaters... and they did it all including FAC "A" and SHARP.

I should wander across the street to JCAS country and see how they think that went now that there's a bit of hindsight... when facing the prospect of single seat squadrons doing FAC(A), not even the Hornet pilots on staff seemed to think it was a really great idea....

Karl,

There was no enthusiasm for it from the squadrons - and they were in denial about the SHARP deal right up until the pods showed up, even though everyone on the beach (CAOC, ASOC) said we were getting them. Nothing like getting a new piece of gear, on deployment, that nobody has done any training for! Standard.

Sponge

Thanks for the info Sponge!

Very interesting to see VFA-22 and VFA-115 getting SHARP as I thought that was mainly an F mission. But, then again, when you don't have an F squadron in the air wing I guess SOMEONE has to carry it!

Cheers!

John