Fleet Air Arm Group Build

Ooh, lots of good aircraft being thought of here! Not sure what I'll do, there's too much choice in the stash but at least I've got a year to decide :woo: Most likely something based at Lossiemouth. Glad to see some interest in RNAS as well, there was quite a selection of machines operated during the life of the service.

Just want to confirm the build runs from 21st October 2007 until 2nd April 2008, so we've got a whole year to clear-up current projects and gather references for this one :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Gone quiet on this thread so thought it needed bumping up the list a bit :cheers:

Will contact the FAA Museum the morn and see if they would be interested in supporting this in some way, if anyone can think of other potential sponsors or supporters please let us know.

Hmm, less than a year to go now, guess I better start thinking about which one from the stash I'll do :cheers:

Not sure what I'll build yet: possibly something operated by FRADU or a Jetstream, alternatively, would a 800 Squadron Harrier GR7 be eligible?

The Jetstream sounds fantastic Richard, and yes an 800 Sqn. GR-7 would be fine :crying:

Greg, do both! Go on, you know you want to and you're more than capable at the speed you build :cheers:

• 5 months later...

I'm in to.

I noted the GB earlier on while doing my planning on this year. I've a 1/72nd Wyvern in the stash which I'd like to do, and was looking for any info to see if it was elligible to the subject. It seems it is and therefor it's a go for me :cheers:

Greetings!!

Is the RCN acceptable? Same paint schemes and airframes as the big brother service.

If it is........

I would do a RCN Sea Fury and Sea King off HMCS Magnificent/ Bonneventure.

About half my stash qualifies for this GB. Including Hawk, Phantom, Swordfish, Tarpon, Wildcat, Corsairs, Harrier FA1 FAW2, Buccaneer, Wyvern, Seaking HAS 5, Hunter T8, Navy Pup, Scimiter, Meteor III, Barracuda, Sea Vampire, Wessex, hellcat, Walrus, sea gladiator, Firebrand, Kingfisher, Seafire V, Dragonfly, Whirlwind, Sea Fang, F-35. Half my stash? well I have 8 Corsairs, 6 Buccaneers, 4 Seakings and .........

For sure it will be in 1/48! I'll plan for something unusual so probably Dynavector 1/48 Scimiter and Belchers 1/48 Dragonfly.

If time permits the Meteor lll trials aircraft and Navy Pup.

Looking forward to it.

Colin W :santa:

Hi People

I'd like to jump in as well, i prefer the less well known subjects, thinking of a Jetstream, skyraider AEW, Whirlwind, wessex. I have a shorts seamew going at the mo but looks a bit poor. Might convert an avenger into an AS version. Sooooo many choices and so little time!!!!

Cheers now

Bob

PS can I be the first to list my Trumpeter 1:48 Gannet AEW (you know where you heard it first!!!!)

That's right, talking about a Seaking. I've Revell's 1/72nd HAS.6, which can be build as a HU.5 with the decals from Model Alliance. Or as a Falklands war example... hmm

And a Fairey Barracuda from Special hobby... also a nice one...

I'll have to see, I think the chopper would be a nice variation on the normal fixed wings planned for this year :)

Greetings

• 2 weeks later...

Owwkay, looks as if I've been away from ARC for too long :)

Fiddler - the Wyvern is perfect and duly noted, although a chopper or two would also be nice.

Phantom - although we intended to make this a FAA GB there were various subsidury groups such as FRA/FRADU included but we never thought to include the Commonwealth Fleet's Air Arms. I'll talk to the guys and see what they think.

John (jRatz) - RNAS is eligable, we called it the FAA GB for simpilcity.

Ron - if it does I'll be having one too!

Colin W - nice sellection! I'd love to see you model the Meteor trials aircraft.

Darius - Sea Hornet's will be nice although I have to admit a soft spot for the Hawker Nimrod. A Sea Devon would be very unusual too... Choices, choices.

Bob - another fine sellection of the less usual, lets hope Trumpeter keep gracing us with more crazy stuff.

Damo - go nuts or straight out of the box, the choice is yours.

Graham T - not much mention of the Attacker here so far (or in general :tumble: ) Not that I want to influence your decision of course :wave:

Glad to see you get the thread back on track Colin :tumble:

I have a small event coming up this Sunday :wave:

followed by a few other things like selling the house, moving, and a couple of aviation related trips.

But otherwise

I'm right there with ya me ole pal!

Cheers!

John

Glad to see you get the thread back on track Colin :tumble:

I have a small event coming up this Sunday :whistle:

followed by a few other things like selling the house, moving, and a couple of aviation related trips.

But otherwise

I'm right there with ya me ole pal!

Cheers!

John

Hmm, whatcha doing Sunday John? :) Ha ha.

Hope you have a good day buddy :wave: I'll fire you an email again soon.

I don't see a problem including FRA/FRADU FAA aircraft, the others have to agree though.

As for RCN aircraft, thats a bit tougher.... When i thought up this gb ages ago i was originally thinking of just FAA subjects, but since i didn't want to be a mod Colin has kindly taken over the reigns, so i think i'll leave that decision up to him. Though if Colin needs a back-up mod i'm happy to help.

not much mention of the Attacker here so far

I think I made some crazy statement about building an Attacker in the original thread. Not that I've got one yet, but there's a whole summer of airshows to put that right (probably the CMR in 1/72).

That Ark Royal sheet from Model Alliance is also still looking very tempting - Scimitar...hmmm (where's that 'rubs beard thoughtfully' emoticon when you need it).

Steve.

Edited by Bennygmanuk
Since this surfaced again ...

Is this just FAA of the RN from 1937/38 on ?

Can we do the 'tween wars when it was the FAA of the RAF ?

Can we do RNAS ?

Thanks,

John

Just realised no one replied to this, as far as i know its from the inception of RNAS through the FAA years, that way alot of variety, in terms of heli's and aircraft can be included. So in short if it flew with the Royal Navy then its should be eligable. (at least this is my understanding of the gb)

As the link that Col. posted on the first page is not working anymore, here's the link to the original thread that should help answer some questions that anyone has: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....c=75099&hl=

Edited by Bullet101
I think I made some crazy statement about building an Attacker in the original thread. Not that I've got one yet, but there's a whole summer of airshows to put that right (probably the CMR in 1/72).

That Ark Royal sheet from Model Alliance is also still looking very tempting - Scimitar...hmmm (where's that 'rubs beard thoughtfully' emoticon when you need it).

Steve.

Whoops, sorry Steve. I had a feeling someone metioned the Attacker in the first thread but since the link didn't work I couldn't check.

Just realised no one replied to this, as far as i know its from the inception of RNAS through the FAA years, that way alot of variety, in terms of heli's and aircraft can be included. So in short if it flew with the Royal Navy then its should be eligable. (at least this is my understanding of the gb)

As the link that Col. posted on the first page is not working anymore, here's the link to the original thread that should help answer some questions that anyone has: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....c=75099&hl=

Yes that's right, from RNAS to current FAA (or what's left of it :) )

Thanks for posting a fresh link Bullet, time we resurected the list from there in light of all the new aircraft being suggested lately methinks. Glad you're still willing to take the blame for starting all this mate... :lol:

Edited by Col.

Started a new list of potential subjects mentioned so far. There are quite a few more that haven't been discused yet so feel free to fire in more.

Albacore

Attacker (For Steve & Graham)

Avenger (AKA Tarpon)

Baffin

Barracuda

Bison

Blackburn

Buccaneer

Chipmunk

Corsair

Dart

DH 4

DH 9

Dragonfly

Daunless

Firebrand

Firefly

Flycatcher

Fulmar

Gannet

Gazelle

HP 0/100

HP 0/400

Hawk

Hellcat

Helldiver

Jetstream

Kingfisher

Lynx

Merlin

Meteor

Nightjar

Nimrod

Osprey

Phantom

Ripon

Scimitar

Seafire

Seafang

Seamew

Sea Devon

Sea Fury

Sea Gladiator

Sea Harrier

Sea Hawk

Sea Hornet

Sea Hurricane

Sea King

Sea Vampire

Sea Venom

Sea Vixen

Skua

Skyraider

Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Triplane

Sopwith Pup

Swordfish

Walrus

Wessex

Whirlwind

Wildcat (AKA Martlet)

Wildebeest

Wyvern

Phew, this is getting to be quite a list!

Edited by Col.
Started a new list of potential subjects mentioned so far. There are quite a few more that haven't been discused yet so feel free to fire in more.

Attacker (For Steve & Graham)

Avenger

Barracuda

Buccaneer

Corsair

Helldiver

Martlet

Meteor

Phantom

Seafire

Sea Devon

Sea Fury