Fleet Air Arm Group Build

Cool, that's a few more for the list. Didn't know the Albacore or Dauntless served with the FAA Stephen.

From what I've read that Fulmar is a lovely kit Rich.

The Dauntless was only trialled and never saw any active service.The Albacore was to be the Swordfish replacement and ended up being replaced by the Swordfish.nevertheless it did see alot of service.

Stephen

Fairey: Flycatcher, III-series

Hawker: Osprey, Nimrod (bipes)

Blackburn: Ripon, Baffin, Dart, Blackburn

Avro: Bison

Nieuport: Nightjar

Westland: Walrus

DH: 4,9

HP: O/100, O/400

and all sorts of flying boats ....

John

Vickers Wildebeest. I'll quit now ...

Break. Does anyone know of a kit, any media or scale, of the Blackburn Blackburn ??

John

Cheers John, another one in :rofl: and don't you dare quit! I need all the help I can get otherwise I'd have to dig out long lost reference books :shoot:

Jake, I for one would love to see your big SHAR in this GB. I'm sure the lads will be happy to set a '25% rule' or some similar limit to progress but I'll not make any decisions without discussing it first.

Gents/Moderator

Did we answer the question as yet, as to whether RCN aircraft would be allowed?

Alvin5182

As soon as we can get together and discuss the inclusion of Commonwealth Navies we'll let you all know but I'm sure John (Kstater) is otherwise engaged this weekend, if you'll pardon the crap pun :lol:

In fact, why don't you guys let us know what you think? Yes or no and reasons why.

Edited by Col.

Yes, because in the case of the ones I want to do......

1. same paint scheme

2. same airframe

3. flew off the same class carrier

4. only model difference is a maple leaf in place of a red disk

5. you would get a lot more entries, lots of Canadians on ARC eh?

6. Queen/King was then, and still is in charge (in theory)

No,

1. uhmmmmmmmm

2. because Canadians are icky.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but my opinion is not after 1945 with regards to RCN aircraft, if that. As to go further would turn the gb into a general navy aviation gb, rather than what is meant to be a celebration of the RN FAA. IMHO that 'red disc' is important.

Just my opinion that is.

Edited by Bullet101

The "Inclusion Question" .... Not an easy one, and I (as a Yank) am torn both ways (which is better than ambivalent, I guess).

I suspect that during WW1 & WW2, and maybe between same, the distinction is not relevant and all "Empire" naval air could be included. But post-WW2, or maybe post-Korea/Suez, I am not so sure because equipment diverges.

I guess I'm at the "more is better" for participation asa long as we don't dilute things too far ... maybe we should open it up to all "Empire/Commonwealth" naval services as long as the aircraft were used by the RN FAA.

John

Edited by jRatz

Nice find Bullet, lots of info there on aircraft I never knew the FAA operated during WWII.

Iteresting point you make John. Like you I think the more the better but there needs to be a limit somewhere.

In the meantime I've been trawling my reference books for more RNAS types and discovered the first 'wheeled-undercarriage' take off from a ship was performed by a Bristol Scout C, No. 1255, from the forward deck of HMS Vindex on 3rd Nov. 1915. Thought you might all like to know :)

Hmmmmm.....1/72 Beech C-45 Expeditor.....maybe......gotta get some decals......

Good luck with the decals Damo, that's one lovely airplane. I take it you have a kit set aside?

• 1 month later...

I just got a copy of the new Osprey title 'Royal Navy Aces of WWII', it is a good source of information (and inspiration) for this GB and there is a good selection of colour side-views included.

Just a heads-up for anyone interested.

Regards,

Norrie

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd bump this up as we're now 30 days out !!!

Mentally tossing a multi-sided coin among:

1/48 Flycatcher (Lindberg/Pyro/etc)

1/48 Wildebeest (vac)

& a bunch of 1/72 vac 'tweeners, to include the Blackburn Blackburn, a leading candidate for world's ugliest ...

John

• 4 weeks later...
All hands on deck, all hands on deck! This is not a drill!

Gentlemen, we are now less than a week away from launch :banana:

BTW John, I'd pick the Flycatcher mate :lol:

Good heavens! I'd totally forgotten about this build!!!!

Something FAA..........................Hmmmmmmm????