So what will be this years surprise announcements...?

On the other hand, you can go to the other extreme and follow Trumpeter's path, annoucing releases that are years away from realisation...

Not just Trumpeter - how long have we cat fans been waiting for the Hobbycraft F9F-8 Cougar? :cheers:

I am not 100% sure hes been re-employed yet. Just that Hornby have allowed Trevor to but on a stand at SMW on their behalf. Lets hope the powers that be at Hornby have some nouse and give him a permanent job.

Richard

Definitely not The What if? SIG

:blink:

Sorry Terry I couldn't resist

:blink:

Here's a coincidence.....Trevor Snowden was in the same county as me yesterday (or was it Monday?) and I'm in KENT! (As is Margate................................) :thumbsup:

Not just Trumpeter - how long have we cat fans been waiting for the Hobbycraft F9F-8 Cougar? :banana:

Remember Grasshopper....Hobbycraft Cougar is now being molded by Trumpeter, after dustup with Academy.

In non-Kung Fu speak the Cougars are supposed to be out early next year after the Panthers which are SUPPOSED to be anytime now. (Go search on Jet Modeling for further discussions on the fabled F9Fs!)

I'm with you about Trumpeter - I'd still like to see the A-5 Fantan in 32nd that was 'announced' many years ago now!

I am not 100% sure hes been re-employed yet. Just that Hornby have allowed Trevor to but on a stand at SMW on their behalf. Lets hope the powers that be at Hornby have some nouse and give him a permanent job.

Richard

Yes would be nearly criminal if they did not. Hopefully they will continue with some of Airfix's other good points such as parts replacement etc, bring back Rita!

Julien

I reckon Heriatge Aviation will steal the show if they have these beauties on display!

Their website announces that this years Nats at Telford will see the release of their 1/24 Lancaster and 1/24 Mosquito :cheers:

they're guaranteed to get some interest!!

The 'Divorce Maker'? Very impressive. Currently afraid my friend will try to pass off his £200 book bill and new compressor by blaming self... :thumbsup:

Fester, are they as nice as they seem from the pics?

These are huge! The Lanc came to the show unfinished but it gives an idea of what these would look like. The boxes behind are the stacks of kits, even the kit box is bigger than my garage.

Finish looked fairly good and it felt really light which surprised me, I was told the tyres are resin but with a kit this big I'm sure there must be some rubber R/C scale tyres which would fit.

Cheers

Doc

That Lancaster was Huge. I was really tempted but decided against it. For some stupid reason , before i went ,i thought it was all resin (dunce)?! Imagine the weight? Then i discovoured it was Vac form. It did look really good though and reasonably priced i thought.

Edited by gunpowder

and so, alas, it would seem that the answer to the question posed by this thread was...

a vacform Lancaster and Mosquito!

Or maybe that was the twist? The surprise announcement was that there were no surprise announcements?!

Edited by Chox
Maybe if the manufacturers told each other what they were producing they could save themselves an awful lot of expensive duplication.

What a great business model that would be - telling your competition where you plan to get your new product revenue from. Comedy gold.

Cheers,

Tim

Actually Oilfield, it's a pretty mature idea. I think that we've all spent too many years marvelling at the stupidity of the "cloak-and-dagger" approach that kit manufacturers tend to adopt. And for what? So we can have more Wyverns that we could ever need? Two sets of 48th scale Canberras? A glut of Gannets? I could go on... What possible business sense is there in duplicating each other's efforts? I think you're possibily failing to realise the absurdity of the current situation. There are enough subjects around for every manufacturer to happily produce in kit form without spending huge amounts of money on new kits, only to find that somebody else is doing the same damned thing. Not much business sense in that kind of approach, is there?

Last few years, the surprise announcements at Telford have come from Airfix - TSR2, Nimrod, Canberra

lacking any forward plan from them no news is not surprising

...and Revell's 72nd Hunter F6 which was first announced at Telford, although nobody seemed to notice!

Maybe if the manufacturers told each other what they were producing they could save themselves an awful lot of expensive duplication.

And if they did that all kits would be of Starfix (huawrk-spit!) quality because if you know you are creating the only 1/48 Spitfire then why waste time and money making it look really good? People will buy it because it's the only game in town regardless of how poor the kit is.

You know the cottage industry will simply fill the gaps (and there would be loads on the models) with all the mods and photo-etch and resin inserts etc. Now think how much people are known to spend on such stuff....

Look at the Pegasus kits for example, they are the only people to make the 1/72 EAP and Have Blue kits so they command a high price for what are very basic and crude moulds.

Nick :thumbsup:

I agree Nick, there's no guarantee that a kit's going to be worth buying, even if it does happen to be one of your favourtite subject! But surely it would be more sensible (and less expensive) if manufacturers simply announced their plans, so that every other manufacturer can fix their own programme accordingly? Naturally, if Company A thinks their kit of a given subject is going to be better than Company B's, then they'd still go-ahead and produce it, but at least they'd not have to run the risk of producing the same kit unless they wanted to.

It's interesting to note that Trumpeter seem to take a rather different view - they seem happy to announce projected releases that are years away from actual production. Maybe they've got the right idea?

Pegasus kits are (were) a high price because of the economics of small-scale injection moulding by individuals. Pegasus (and others) pick the rare subjects because no-one else will do them. The price is not artificially jacked up by being without competition. Competition would not have brought down the cost of the EAP, it would have killed the kit altogether.

Mind you, Chris Gannon (Pegasus) was such a good modeller I'm not sure he understood why everyone else found his kits hard work!