Painting stripes around missiles

For every time you need to paint lines,the best method is to mask with thin pieces of masking tape(like Tamiya masking tape).

An alternate method for missile stripes, is to paint a piece of decal paper with the correct colour,cut it,and use it as you do usually with decals...

An alternate method for missile stripes, is to paint a piece of decal paper with the correct colour,cut it,and use it as you do usually with decals...

Oh, for crying out loud, why didn't I think of that a LONG time ago! :thumbsup:

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! :banana:

:wave:

Mike

I use teflon plummer's tape and wrap it around. No adhesive to possibly mar or lift paint, and it stretches if needed.

Now that's a pretty good idea.

I usually decal any stripes, but the teflon tape might work well for compound nose curves and the like.

The reason I like the teflon tape is that it's very thin so the paint margin is nearly flush with the base where the belt edge meets the missile body. Also, with the stretchiness of the teflon tape, it'll pull over and around the raised belt detail, leaving what you want to paint exposed. The margin then pretty much just takes care of itself.

Though not exactly the best way, if I'm in a rush, I'll just use a fine tip permanent marker. On a white missile like a sidewinder or HARM it comes out pretty well. And if you buy the pack with a variety of colors you have options for all the different live/inert markings. Again, I know not exactly the best way, but it works and it's fast.

Ok, Picture this... keep in mind I did it for the fun not the simplicity!

Took two pieces of 1/8th plastic about 5" long. Glued together at right angles (you end up with something that looks like a piece of angle iron). Cut a slit across middle where the two pieces meet, just thick enough to get an art knife blade through.

With the bomb taped-up I set the end distance with a block of wood held in place with a clip (I always set the distance from the nose back. This means you're always spinning the bomb or missile nose against the wood block). With the end of the unit meaning the bomb nose, pointing towards me, I stick a clamp on to hold the unit on the work table, stick my art knife through the slit with one hand, and spin the bomb with my other hand. Adjust and do again. Spinning against the "angle iron" keeps it square.

I know this sounds pretty screwy, but it works perfectly and is very quick. If you have multiple missiles the stripes come out exactly the same on everyone because you run the first cut on every missile, then 2nd cut on every missile etc.

You can make this thing in about 5 minutes.

Ok, Picture this... keep in mind I did it for the fun not the simplicity!

Took two pieces of 1/8th plastic about 5" long. Glued together at right angles (you end up with something that looks like a piece of angle iron). Cut a slit across middle where the two pieces meet, just thick enough to get an art knife blade through.

With the bomb taped-up I set the end distance with a block of wood held in place with a clip (I always set the distance from the nose back. This means you're always spinning the bomb or missile nose against the wood block). With the end of the unit meaning the bomb nose, pointing towards me, I stick a clamp on to hold the unit on the work table, stick my art knife through the slit with one hand, and spin the bomb with my other hand. Adjust and do again. Spinning against the "angle iron" keeps it square.

I know this sounds pretty screwy, but it works perfectly and is very quick. If you have multiple missiles the stripes come out exactly the same on everyone because you run the first cut on every missile, then 2nd cut on every missile etc.

You can make this thing in about 5 minutes.

Dont quite get it :woot.gif:

Could you explain more in detail exactly what your'e doing here? ( Im sure you did try and explain maybe its just me not understanding :D )