iwata airbrush

I've tried a search but haven't come up with a definitive answer to my dilemma. The ebay seller that I've chosen to buy my Iwata from has quite a large range. What I need to know is which airbrush would fit my needs. I want a brush that can do quite fine detail and larger areas (1/48 aircraft, 1/35 armour). These are my choices:

HP-BC

HP-BP

HP-CP

HP-CH

HP-AH

HP-CS

HP-SBP

I can only afford to buy one airbrush to suite all my needs.

Thanks Tony

Honestly, any of these will probably work for you, although the HP-A and B series might hold too little paint for you. The A-series hardly holds any paint at all.

I have an HP-B with a 0.2mm tip and use it for everything from large surfaces to very tight German and Italian mottle camouflage. I also use Gunze Mr. Color acrylic lacquers, which can be thinned to the consistency of ink.

However, if you are a novice to intermediate in airbrush use and/or spray primarily enamels, you might find the SB and C series with 0.3mm tips more user-friendly. I haven't kept up with all the different suffixes like P and H, but the basic layout is the same:

A series = small cavity at the front of the airbrush (mostly for artists using ink); 0.2mm

B series = small built-in color cup; 0.2mm

C series = fairly large built-in color cup with cap; 0.3mm

SB series = side-mount removable color cup; 0.2mm (0.3mm might be optional)

Edited by trojansamurai

Tony,

After years of loyalty to Badger I bought an HP CS - the one with the larger gravity-feed built-in paint cup. I model 1:48 aircraft, and so far it's proved ideal. It can do wonderfully fine detail, free-hand RAF-type disruptive camouflage, and it holds enough paint to cover a reasonable area: the largest model sprayed with it to date is a 1:48 EA-6B. I was concerned as to whether the large paint cup would prove difficult to manage - it isn't, the brush is wonderfully balanced and controllable. I use acrylics with it, it takes them in its stride. Clean-up is easy too.

Also bought the Quick-Release attachments for the Iwata air hose - makes changing back to my Anthem (which I have kept for varnishing and other such work) far easier.

HTH,

Edited by MikeC

I use the HP-C, and it's wonderful. The color cup is big enough for most everything. Occasionally I have to refill the cup in the middle of a big job (like flat coating a 1/48 F-14). The HP-CH is the high-line version, the HP-C+ is the high performance + version, the HP-CR is the revolution,and the CS is the eclipse.

The eclipse line is mostly for heavier media, like automotive lacquers, the high-flow nozzle is probably not what you want for modeling if you do very fine work freehand.

The revolution is a good airbrush for a lower price, but it has a bigger needle, so a little less control for fine work, but better at broad coverage.

The C+ is a great choice, more expensive than the revolution, but the finer needle configuration will let you freehand german mottle.

The high-line is even more expensive, and is supposed to give even better control for detail work.

www.iwata-medea is their home site. Lots of useful info there.

Edited by kozlok

I also have an HP-B and I have found that with the gravity feed, I generally need less paint, so the smaller cup is just fine. I do 1/48 props mainly. Also, being smaller, it is easier to hold, see what I am doing, and less to clean. The only time I have had to refill in the middle of a paint job was when I was painting a 1/48 B-24.

Gravity feed models will usually permit you to use lower air pressures and, like jay said, use less paint. They are also easier to clean, at least imo. I have the HP-C and it permits very fine mottleing - I build 1/72 and it works fine for that, so 1/48 would also be fine. Never have used the HP-B, but those who do like it too.

righto! i especially like that I got my HP-B for $15 because the people at my LHS didnt know what they had on their hands when this guy brought in a box of painting equipment (mostly for lexan RC car bodies) and this AB was in there. they just slapped a $15 tag on it and i nearly fell over myself getting my wallet out! Even got em to throw in a nice braided air hose for a buck!