Academy 1:72 B-17G

It's a good one, Sean! I've got 'em all, but have only built the B-17B. Went together well and looks good when done. Only thing that bothered me was a bit too much dihedral on the wings. Other than that, a real beauty! Specifically for the B-17G, on the right fuselage half, you have a choice of "normal" or "staggered" waist gun positions. Ya gotta cut out the one you want to use....

Patrick

P.S. - watch for an inbound PM regarding the Air Force Museum.....

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

Only thing that bugs me about the Academy B-17 is the tail gunner's position. They split the part into right and left halves, leavning a nasty seam right through the middle of what's supposed to be a clear window. Fortunately, the Squadron Vac replacement canopies are fairly cheap.

There are couple other nit-picks about the kits, but nothing major.

SN

Watch the dihedral, as mentioned, the completed model looks stupid if you get that wrong. The wingtips are level with the top of the fuselage - no higher.

WRONG! I was thinking of the B-29. On the B-17 the wingtips are lever with the top of the radio-room side window.

Academy B-17 is a great bunch of kits - see http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/all...us/mansb17d.htm for another that I built.

The most recent Airfix B-17G (the one the wasn't A Bit of Lace) was an Academy master - which made it more available (until recently).

A minor difficulty with the Academy B-17 is that the instructions would have you install the main undercarriage during wing construction - making it more vulnerable during construction.

This should be avoidable.

And here's an Academy B-17E thet I've built:

Academy_B17E_RAF.jpg

Oh - check references for individual aircraft, Academy make avoidable errors with most kits.

This one didn't originally have that astrodome on the nose!

While I know you asked about build fit issues, I would also recommend you get at least the following sets to make it that much more "nice".

Quickboost B-17 gun barrels

Quickboost B-17 engines

Both are drop fit and a HUGE improvment over the kit parts.

CMK also do an interior set (cockpit, bombardiers compartment, radio compartment) and armament set (bomb bay). If you add those to the Squadron parts as previously mentioned, you get a very nice model.

The Academy -17G cheek windows are VERY thick, and the wing leading edge intakes are molded as shallow depressions.