Storm Shadows on Tonkas

I wanted to sling the Storm Shadows from the Revell Typhoon under the belly pylons of my 1/48 Italeri GR4A, however, the fit is not good as the tail fins overlap one another. From looking at photos, it doesn't appear that these are slung in a staggered configuration (ie, one further forward than the other) so I assume it's just a "scale" problem caused by the size of the Revell missile or the size/position of the kit pylons. Can anyone say?

I wanted to sling the Storm Shadows from the Revell Typhoon under the belly pylons of my 1/48 Italeri GR4A, however, the fit is not good as the tail fins overlap one another. From looking at photos, it doesn't appear that these are slung in a staggered configuration (ie, one further forward than the other) so I assume it's just a "scale" problem caused by the size of the Revell missile or the size/position of the kit pylons. Can anyone say?

I once had a similar problem putting two SCALP EGs (basically a Froggy Storm Shadow) from the Revell 1/48 Rafale onto a Tonka - to be honest I just cheated a little for the sake of it and moved the pylons apart a bit so the fins were almost (but not quite) touching.

I don't know whether the missiles are wrong, or the pylons to close together, I don't really know. There seems to be relatively few pictures around of the Tonka with the storm shadow as well, never mind any showing the rear of both missiles clearly enough to check the fin separation :cheers: so actually finding out whether the kits wrong or the missiles are wrong is tricky without asking someone 'in the know' - usually a question like this is up Spikes street but I haven't seen him post for a while.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

The Stormshadow's aren't staggered. They both fit on the centre stn on each shoulder pylon ( stn 7 and 8). The gap between the two inboard horizontal control surfaces is about 1.5", so it's a scale problem, on the real thing a dam tight fit and finger biter!!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers Pete

I once had a similar problem putting two SCALP EGs (basically a Froggy Storm Shadow) from the Revell 1/48 Rafale onto a Tonka - to be honest I just cheated a little for the sake of it and moved the pylons apart a bit so the fins were almost (but not quite) touching.

I don't know whether the missiles are wrong, or the pylons to close together, I don't really know. There seems to be relatively few pictures around of the Tonka with the storm shadow as well, never mind any showing the rear of both missiles clearly enough to check the fin separation :D so actually finding out whether the kits wrong or the missiles are wrong is tricky without asking someone 'in the know' - usually a question like this is up Spikes street but I haven't seen him post for a while.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

The 1/48 revell rafale has Apache, no Storm shadow/Scalp.

Mainly, fins are different. (shorter for the second)

Edited by shion
Is the Italeri 1/48 Tornado GR4A OOP, or are you converting it from another version? I want to make a GR4A, but don't want to shell out my life savings for the Flightpath conversion set.

Larry Engesath

No problem, especially if you can get hold of an Airfix GR4/4A (cheap off ebay). That kit includes a "representation" of the linescan pod you'll need, plus decals to represent the sensor windows of the GR4A. Fill the kit cannon ports & presto, an inexpensive GR4A.

The Stormshadow's aren't staggered. They both fit on the centre stn on each shoulder pylon ( stn 7 and 8). The gap between the two inboard horizontal control surfaces is about 1.5", so it's a scale problem, on the real thing a dam tight fit and finger biter!!!! :wacko:

Cheers Pete

Thanks Pete....judging by your tag & Avatar, I assume this comes from the horses mouth! I'm ashamed to admit that I trimmed the fins - not perfect but better!! Pics will follow.

No problem, especially if you can get hold of an Airfix GR4/4A (cheap off ebay). That kit includes a "representation" of the linescan pod you'll need, plus decals to represent the sensor windows of the GR4A. Fill the kit cannon ports & presto, an inexpensive GR4A.

Airwaves makes a nice conversion with the linescan pod and new PE instruments. The italeri ECR boxing already has the gun port faired over as well and, at least around here, is easily to come by.

Thanks Pete....judging by your tag & Avatar, I assume this comes from the horses mouth! I'm ashamed to admit that I trimmed the fins - not perfect but better!! Pics will follow.

Graham,

you could say that, mind the comparison to a horse!!! As they say "plumber" 23 years man and boy. I used to work at Lossie in the Weapon training cell, so horse it is!!, currently back in the Harrier fold...far far to many fish heads!!!!!! :banana:

On the subject of Tornado Ordnance, how many LBG (included in the 1/72 Revell Tornado) can they hold under the fuselage? The kit has 2, but i have 2 from the same kit i built a long time ago, so i was wondering if 4 is possible?

On the subject of Tornado Ordnance, how many LBG (included in the 1/72 Revell Tornado) can they hold under the fuselage? The kit has 2, but i have 2 from the same kit i built a long time ago, so i was wondering if 4 is possible?

I think the maximim load is three - one on each shoulder pylon and a third on the centreline pylon.