Late vs Early F/A-18C, which is which

Hello all,

I am planning to build a 1/32 acad. F-18C, and I want to replace the cockpit with a resin one. But I cant decide on what cockpit to buy the late or early version. I was just wondering when does an early hornet become a late hornet? What range of years is considered an early hornet, and what range is considered a late hornet?

Thanks

eddie

Edited by camaroz06

There are generally two differences, the seat and the shape of the center MFD. Unfortunately, they didn't happen at the same time, so one could say there are really three cockpits.

Initially, the F/A-18C used the SJU-5/6 seat and the upper corners of the center MFD were square. At BuNo 163985, they changed to the late IP with the upper corners of the center MFD cut at an angle. At BuNo 164196, they changed to the SJU-17 NACES seat.

Both CE and BB do "early" and "late" pits with the early pit having the SJU-5/6 seat and early IP, and the "late" pit having the SJU-17 and late IP. Neither do the intermediate configuration with the late IP and the SJU-5/6 seat; you'd have to buy the "late" set and the early seat seperately.

As a practical matter, most people just worry about the seat difference and use BuNo 164196 as the cutoff between the early and late pits. HTH.

Edited by Dave Williams
Hey Dave since you guys were already in the thick of things just wondering how about external differences between the early and late F-18C? When do you see those support brackets on the vertical stabs?

Eric

Dave Roof may chime in with the answer, but if not, I have a posting Dave did on HS long ago that breaks down when certain things appeared on the F/A-18C. It's at home, and I can check it tonight.

IIRC, without my refs handy, the three tail brackets appeared on earlier C and D models. The tail was internally reinforced on later Lot aircraft.

Here's the info from an old Dave Roof post:

External tail stiffeners deleted: 163699 and up

Late IP: 163985 and up

SJU-17 seat: 164196 and up

-402 engine: 164693 and up

GPS dome: 164945 and up

Dual Chaff/flare buckets: 165171 and up

5-blade IFF bird slicers: 165222 and up

Of the above, the IFF and GPS dome could be retrofitted to earler F/A-18Cs

One more noticeable difference between the early and late C's: The IFEI (Integrated Fuel and Engine Indicator) on the early C's were old fashion tape and dial indicators. They were replaced by a digital screen on the late-lot aircraft. The IFEI are the instruments on the lower left side of the instrument panel (under the left screen).

One more noticeable difference between the early and late C's: The IFEI (Integrated Fuel and Engine Indicator) on the early C's were old fashion tape and dial indicators. They were replaced by a digital screen on the late-lot aircraft. The IFEI are the instruments on the lower left side of the instrument panel (under the left screen).

I had always understood that the digital fuel indicator at the bottom left was a difference between the A and C IPs, not between early and late C.

Also no one pointed out the taller, swept back antenna on the spine (aft one) and under the nose (by the nosegear well). Those were common on late lot C's and have been retrofitted to some A's and earlier C aircraft. Also the "turkey feathers" were slightly different because the late C's has GE-F404-EPE (Enhanced Performance Engines) added. These may have been retrofitted to earlier aircraft too. One other change was that the canopy was given a gold tint to reduce its radar reflection. I hope this helps some.