1/72 Hasegawa F-14

Normally I'm a strictly 1/48th guy, but since I have some 1/72 tomcat decals lying around (VF-Decals!), I thought I'd make one for my desk.

Anyway, I'm assuming that the best 72nd cat is the Hasegawa one, but I thought I remembered reading something about there being an old tool and a new tool version, but perhaps I'm crazy.

I noticed on GreatModels that they have a bunch of boxings with very different pricing, so what's up with that? Just the usual "special decals" Hasegawa pricing scam?

Can anyone offer up some advice for a wayward soul?

Hi mate, I'd check the reviews over on Modeling Madness - they were pretty helpful.

What I can say is that the new tool kits are a world away from the old tools - engraved panel lines, photoetch, dropped slats and flaps etc.

From looking at the GM website, I'd say stay away from the 15 dollar kits and below - the rest LOOK to be new tools, but just to be sure, it may be worth calling them.(and checking MM)

No doubt other more informed souls than me will be along in a few minutes with more precise advice:-)

Edited by stuflyer

There are different toolings, but I'm not sure at what point the change was made. I have both types in my stash and by looking at them, the old ones I have are the high and low vis, the kits starting with a "K", and the nose art kits. The ones I have that are new tool kits are the current kits that generally go for over $20-$25. There may be more than two toolings, but the newest one I have include engraved panel lines, positionable flaps and slats, more wheel well detail, photo etch, and generally, just more parts. I might be missing some things, but these are the main ones I noticed.

The new tool kit was phased in around 1988. But, even with the newer tool, Hasegawa still occassionally continued to issue to older tool kit. The one I know for sure that was the old tool issued afterwards was the VF-111 Sundowners kit with the pre-painted canopy. The others can be hidden and usually the price is indeed the first clue. Fit-wise, the new tool is a very good kit and has a few more options that the older tool didn't have (photoetched instruments and I believe the ability to drop the flaps and slats on the wings). Some modelers tend to regard the Fujimi kit in a little higher standing, but it is a personal choice more then anything based on what I've seen.

Well, I have built the old Has kit, but have not built either of new tool F-14 kits (Has or Fujimi). However, I have two of each in my stash. My "in the box" observation is that the Has kit might be a little over engineered and does not come with weapons. OMHO, this is unacceptable. Even there old tool kit had a full set of weapons. The Fujimi kit has weapons. Both kits have the dropped flaps/slats and depressed nosewheel option. I think the Fujimi kit has paintable cockpit detail, and I THINK the Has kit has photo etch placards you can use, or decals (or maybe both?).

If you're building any form of Super Tomcat, I believe pretty much every release on the market is a newer tooled kit (did they even make A+/B kits in the old tool?)

The A+ and B kits are the new tools and are pretty much identical with the B kit having extra sprues. Even the instruction book is the A+ book. And this is as recent as the VF-143 kit. It comes with plastic and photo etch instruments, your choice. The old tool has decals. The new tools seem to build up to a decent kit by itself. I built an A+ and almost had it finished and had to move a couple of times and lost the remaining pieces.

Edited by kap64

The A+ designation is the same as the B. The Navy changed it for logistical reasons. The old tool Hasegawa kit was only the A. Since you are wanting a B, you can get any of the Hasegawa A+/B kits and they will be the new tool with all the bells and whistles.