Battlestar Galactica

Well,

I have to say that I being a fan of the original series, was both Impressed and upset at the same time.

Granted I love the fact that they did a great job with the interpretation of the ships and technology, But at the same time I was not at all thrilled with the new uber sleek Viper. I know it is an extension of the original design as much as the Mk2 Viper is almost exactly like the classic. One of the best things is that they actually give you views of the RCS systems firing for maneuvering and station keeping. I LOVE THAT!!! Realism!

As I know some of you have not seen the first episode, I wont go into details, But I will say that this is much better than I had expected.

So now before you can ask the Lords of Kobol to tell me to hush up or to get the Frak out of here.

My overall opinion is this is living up to the hype.

William G

:cheers:

I thought it was well done. The script has much more development and contrats to the characters. A more gritty feel to it. I liked the original back in '78 but I was 15 then. If they did the new BG just like the old one then I'd feel insulted. The original series was too simplistic in the good vs evil way of looking at things. People and situations are always more complicated and filled with many shades of grey. I think the new show handled that aspect real well.

The FX were cool and the ship designs were OK but ultimately it's the story and script that carries the show. I think they have a good one here. I know I'll get flamed by the purists that hold the original in such high esteem but times have changed and people have changed. Sci-Fi, if anything, is more of a reflection of the times we live in then the future. I like to wax nostalgic like anyone else but thank God the 70's are over.

They did good with this one.

Jeff

Guest Deppisch
The FX were cool and the ship designs were OK but ultimately it's the story and script that carries the show. I think they have a good one here. I know I'll get flamed by the purists that hold the original in such high esteem but times have changed and people have changed. Sci-Fi, if anything, is more of a reflection of the times we live in then the future. I like to wax nostalgic like anyone else but thank God the 70's are over.

They did good with this one.

Jeff

I second that.

So far so good, looking forward to this evening.

I thought it was pretty good. I never saw the original so I was just watching in hopes of seeing a good scifi flick. Overall, the characters and story were put together pretty good, but its a shame the series is only 4 hours. I would like it to be longer so the character and plot could develop and grow without anything feeling rushed. Also, a little more background info in the begining would have been nice, there was a brief mention of the past war but before I really knew what was going on, the entire planet was being nuked. Now I will just have to wait till the Farscape miniseries comes out, now that should be amazing. -Chris

Believe me, this version is much better...character development

makes the difference. There was a comment about the set-up time.

The 1978 pilot gave you no background, they just blew the colonies

to hell, no mention of Cylon origin or a previous conflict.

I think the female "Starbuck" actually works. You can tell she studied

the original series. The tension between Apollo and Adama is an

interesting touch. Now that the sets are built...maybe with good

enough ratings we might see additional episodes. I guess it will

depend on how they end tonight's show.

TinMan

I like the show so far, but I hope we see more of the machine Cylons, not that I mind seeing Number 6 at all :wasntme: . Those two machines in the beginning were pretty cool.

I think it's lame when any show has bad guys that look like humans, kinda like they couldn't come up with a good character or couldn't afford the FX.

yep, the old show was very 70's but good all the same and at the time and at the ripe old age of 13, I lapped it up eagerly :D

afterall, with those Cylons having fancy LED's flashing across their helmets, no wonder they could never shoot straight :cheers:

:wasntme:

MikeJ

Guest Displeased BSG Fan

Well just finished the 2nd episode and for the money they spent on this thing was impressive but the show unfortunately wasnt worth it. If you going to do a sequel to an original then you should stick to an original idea. Granted the cgi effects were a nice touch but that in itself wasnt a key factor to this show. They stated that man created the Cylons " wrong answer, the original seriers first episode it tells the story of the creation of the cylons and the war that followed". In the original series Adama and Apollo and his younger brother Zac and sister Athena were very close and not in a conflict over Zac's death. What about the councel of 12? In this one there is just a single female president. Common guys you have to admit that alot of the plot was a bit cheesy. I found out from an actor friend of mine that Ricarh Hatch is making a movie on the original series and will be released in 2 years. I know that this series will be far better that the one that Scifi did. That my two cents. You may agree and you may disagree but thats the facts on the original and this hunk of crap

I don't agree Displeased, I liked it --

Better storyline, better characters and they portrayed the shock and fear that would accompany a tragedy like this well. Imagining the horror of what the story tells! Although I'm a fan of the original, there was alot of hokieness to it - which was fine because that is what they were going for. This new version is much more thoughtfull beside the CGI. More like BSG meets Babylon 5 (maybe that will be their first Earth contact!).

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the new-hottie version of Boomer being a Cylon! :wasntme:

The SciFi website says the Richard Hatch project is stalled due to no $$$

Overall, I thought it was well done and eagerly await follow on Episodes.

Guest horgasm

I have a problem with how they changed some of the little-but-important details from the original. First of all, I liked the old idea of the council of 12. They could have killed them off so that they needed a new president, instead of using the US government model for succession. But the biggest thing that reeeealy took it away from being BSG to me was then using seconds, minutes, hours, months, etc. What happened to the alien time-units? That more than anything was what made me believe that these were folks from space. The battle scenes were fantastic. I love that side-slipping move the vipers do, where they can circle around a target while still keeping their guns aimed at it. When-oh-when are we gonna get some new models. I want a Mk II Viper!.

I dont know Guys.

I loved the original series. I have the models I have the books I even have the video tapes. But I think this is a great interpretation of a good sci fi series.

Remember This was not a Sequel., but a re telling of the old story.

Lets think about something.

If we were to use the original as the bible for this one We would have had,

Apollo, Zak and Athena on the same ship, as well as Daddy Adama. Not very practical.

Hey we would have a CGI Daggit running around .

We would have 3 Cylons in those ships... Ever wonder why it took 3 to fly one of those raiders? you have a pilot a gunner and a comander... Why?

Or better still How about Baltar who In the original was a Judas and here he was , lets just say Not thinking with the right equipment, but only thinking about himself.

How about the fact that in the original series they never really touched on the History of Who and What the Cylons were? I just watched the original Pilot (Movie) for BSG and It never said that they were anything other than evil machines bent on human destruction.

Horgasm sez

I have a problem with how they changed some of the little-but-important details from the original. First of all, I liked the old idea of the council of 12. They could have killed them off so that they needed a new president, instead of using the US government model for succession.

Ok I agree that this smacks of US Government 101 But it also is Military Succession.

The chain of Command follows from Highest Ranking to Lowest Ranking.

As to the Council of 12.. Give it time. This may happen Or it may not, either way I am not upset.

I think that the funny part to all of this is that Adama is pulling a fast one over his people in the need to keep unification and central presence of purpose. Earth does not exist... The humor is what if they begin to find traces here or there and these peices point to a reality Not a sham?

All In All I have to say I liked it except for Boomer...

:taunt:

Now as to the combat Oh Yeah I loved it How true to Physics it was YES!!!!

Only one question. Ummm how much fuel does a viper use? and where does it store all of it.

:lol:

William G

Guest vf101guy

Hey Fellas, well I watch BSG again. I guess im old school when it comes to this show but I have to admit I was impressed with the computer generated graphics. Story line was so-so. Wonder whats next a new idea on Buck Rogers? If any of you guys want to know anything about the original cylons and have the 2 hour movies from the early 80's you will see where the cylons are from, who created them and why the war started. Is it just me or do the new cylons look like old republic knights from star wars??? Ive read the reviews on here about this and about Richard Hatch. Ive also found out through the grapevine that Richard has started production back again and is looking for extras" hmm wonder how i would look in a viper or as an overweight cylon..lol" I guess we all have different opinions on this so of us love the original version and some of use love the new. Nothing wrong with doing either. Im going to look at my videos and get the names of the older videos that will tell about cylons. MadMike email me, your tape is ready.. Well fellas I guess we can agree to disagree.. Happy Modeling..

There was an episode in the original BSG where Adama explains that the shiny robot things were created as self replicating war machines by the Cylon race (reptilian i think). The creators were destroyed and the robots came to be known as Cylons. I think that was all anyone ever explained about the metal heads.. all of 60 seconds dialogue.

I absolutely ate up this min-series. I loved it. Not JUST the acting and the story, but the atmosphere, the production techniques, and etc. There were several VERY emotional parts of the film. It was great.

Keep in mind that other Sci-Fi mini-series' have also been 4 hours (Dune, Children of Dune) and did as well.

I have qualms with the open-ended story. On the one hand they could be holding true the the epic heart of the original storyline, or.......

or... Maybe they have designs on a new series to replace the lost great Farscape!

Yeah, I know. I'm dreaming. But it's a good dream!

Some more background on Colonial society would have been helpful....make the humans complacent, corrupt, and worthy of destruction, just like in the original!

I liked the Cylon fighters (the ship IS the Cylon!), but the stiff, central command structure shown in the old show is not seen here. Not nearly enough "By Your Command"s' to suit me :D Bring on the Imperious Leader!

RCS thrusters are primitive considering rest of portayed

tech, but are a masterful detail touch- Very realistic sun glare on ships!

Hey Fellas, well I watch BSG again. I guess im old school when it comes to this show but I have to admit I was impressed with the computer generated graphics. Story line was so-so. Wonder whats next a new idea on Buck Rogers? If any of you guys want to know anything about the original cylons and have the 2 hour movies from the early 80's you will see where the cylons are from, who created them and why the war started. Is it just me or do the new cylons look like old republic knights from star wars??? Ive read the reviews on here about this and about Richard Hatch. Ive also found out through the grapevine that Richard has started production back again and is looking for extras" hmm wonder how i would look in a viper or as an overweight cylon..lol" I guess we all have different opinions on this so of us love the original version and some of use love the new. Nothing wrong with doing either. Im going to look at my videos and get the names of the older videos that will tell about cylons. MadMike email me, your tape is ready.. Well fellas I guess we can agree to disagree.. Happy Modeling..

Thanks very much for your generousity in sending me the tape of the mini-series. I am really looking forward to seeing this talked about show. I have the orginal BSG series on tape and will be getting the whole series on DVD shortly...

BTW how long is the show?

Are there any images on the net of the ships at all?

:D

MikeJ

In Canada on Space, BSG the new mini-series will be on Jan 17-18 with a behind the scenes look on Jan 10. Soooo set the VCRs on stun!!!!! :lol:

Saw it on Space (from the Horse's mouth so to speak.).

:lol:

Emil

I for one was very impressed with this 2-part mini-series and am hoping they will produce more. I don't know what their budget was for this project, but it looked as good as most big-budget modern movies from the big- screen.

I thought they just did a lot of things right- the space battles, choice of actors, and little details here and there. I got my money's worth (monthly cost of cable bill).

If I had one small gripe- it was to "earthly"- the whole govenrment, military, text, language (OK- it had to be in English for a primarily English audience), costume/wardrobe, etc. This is forgivable however. A few tweaks and adjustments here and there would've, could've, hepled IMHO.

OK another small gripe- revealing the Cylons in human form. Like someone said- just too easy. I liked the reptilian theme of the old school series.

If they extend the series, I hope they get into more of the history of the Cylons and behnd the scenes with them. I the reptilian theme of the old series and those majordomo robots with the blinking heads :lol: