1/48th TA-4F why not?

I was surprised to find that there is no kit, in 1/48th, of the TA-4F Skyhawk. A great member here advised I might try to make one from the Monogram, 1/48th, OA-4M. Is there a conversion set or am I just going to have to wait for one to come out? All info appreciated. I was advised that Fugumi did one in 48th sometime ago, but that it is really 1/50th and basicly crap.

Bill

We'd all be grateful if Hasegawa would just release a TA-4F/J. But short of that, it's not that difficult to convert the OA-4M, as it's mostly subtracting, rather than adding parts. It's basically removing the various ECM lumps and bumps from nose and tail, and the dorsal avionics hump.

The only scratchbuilding is to replace the avionics hump with sheet plastic, then create a rear canopy fairing* and leading edge extension for the vertical tail. * The rear lip of the kit canopy curves up a little, so it needs to be sanded down a bit to get a downward sloping curve.

I still don't know why Monogram chose to do an OA-4M over a TA-4. Talk about obsure. :thumbsup: Must have been the same guys that decided to do the RF-101B rather than a RF-101C. :blink:

There was an article over in Hyperscale by David Aungst a couple years back. Thats is the method I based my conversion on.

D.A combined two kits into one, I took the cheap way and used left over parts, one kit and half a tube of putty.

The only scratchbuilding is to replace the avionics hump with sheet plastic, then create a rear canopy fairing* and leading edge extension for the vertical tail. * The rear lip of the kit canopy curves up a little, so it needs to be sanded down a bit to get a downward sloping curve.

I believe the vertical tail leading edge is still on the OA-4M trees, a hanger-on from the common parts used with the A-4E kit.

Red Roo did a resin set that converts the Monogram OA-4M to a TA-4. It's pretty simple, and supplies a new resin piece for the fuselage to fill where the hump is cut away and a resin fairing for the aft part of the canopy. I don't recall if it has a new canopy or not, I haven't used mine yet (no it isn't for sale).

I believe C&H Aerominiatures produced a resin conversion set to convert the -E to a TA-4. I think they made two different sets, one for the Hasegawa A-4 and one for the Monogram A-4 kit. It is no longer on their website so I don't think they make it anymore. I have been searching for one of these for a long time now.

Trojan...I've been thinking of doing the conversion, but wasn't quite sure what changes are required. If that's all it takes to convert the Monogram OA-4M kit to a TA-4J then it I might give it a try. I was just not sure about a couple of things? The canopy - (blown or non blown) and also the intakes (buldged or non-buldged)? I was told that the canopy is blown and the intakes are non-buldged. The cockpit probably needs to be modified or scratchbuilt too. Thanx for the info!

:cheers:

Hi guys,

Also, Missing Link Models (MLM) did a simple resin set that had the hump behind the canopy, and a new tail tip. It may have also had a new vac canopy, but I don't remember for sure. You can pick up MLM stuff at Rollmodels. Its designed to be used with the Monogram OA-4M kit. I converted several of these to TA-4J adversaries, and they came out nice.

I'm currently working on a 48th Hasegawa A-4E adversary , and that kit is such a beautiful kit :blink: It kills me that they haven't done a 48th TA-4J/F yet. Personally I think that it would outsell their 48th TF-104 by a large margin. Here's hoping that a two hole Scooter is in their future palns :cheers: Fred K

...I still don't know why Monogram chose to do an OA-4M over a TA-4. Talk about obsure. :cheers: Must have been the same guys that decided to do the RF-101B rather than a RF-101C. :blink:

I think in the case of the Voodoo, it was an easy thing for Monogram to just mold a new forward RF nose piece and just add that to the basic C/F-101B kit and remove the standard C/F-101B forward nose piece. Doing the 'C' would have required a whole new fuselage, cockpit and engine pieces...but I would have loved it if they did one :D !

I have often wondered why someone, Hasegawa being the most logical, hasn't done a nice two seat Scooter (or Starfighter for that matter). Both were very popular aircraft used by many different nations, so one would assume that it/they would meet with good sales.

Oh well, I guess we wait, hope and see.

Regards.

G'day,

COnverting an OA-4M into a TA-4 isn't very hard at all. The tail leading edge is included in the kit, and it's simply case of removing the hump, filling with sheet, and building a new canopy faring. The canopy itself is also no big deal, just file down the rear frame so that it is the correct shape.

Ok, so the Mono kit is raised lines, but what's the big deal, really?

Here's my effort.....

image006.jpg

Cheers

M

Trojan...I've been thinking of doing the conversion, but wasn't quite sure what changes are required. If that's all it takes to convert the Monogram OA-4M kit to a TA-4J then it I might give it a try. I was just not sure about a couple of things? The canopy - (blown or non blown) and also the intakes (buldged or non-buldged)? I was told that the canopy is blown and the intakes are non-buldged. The cockpit probably needs to be modified or scratchbuilt too. Thanx for the info!

:)

• Canopy doesn't appear to be blown, but it's uncharacteristically thick in places for Monogram, so the lens effect makes it hard to tell. It can probably pass for either one.
  • Intakes are the non-bulged, rather anemic looking ones carried over from the A-4E.
  • They give you 2 new seat/side console tubs which are better detailed than the one from the A-4E; but they also give you one of the old A-4E seats as a spare.
  • Two new instrument panels are included, with the front one properly shaped like a late-model version, but again includes the original one from the A-4E; the rear instrument panel looks close enough for me, short of checking the placement of each dial and switch.
  • As another poster pointed out, it does include the vertical fin root as a carry-over from the A-4E, so one less thing to scratch.

So yes, the need for scratchbuilt parts is extremely minimal. The rest is just sanding off bumps and filling in the gun ports. You can even use the forward portion of the avionics hump (the canopy hinge area) since the shape is already there.

COnverting an OA-4M into a TA-4 isn't very hard at all. The tail leading edge is included in the kit, and it's simply case of removing the hump, filling with sheet, and building a new canopy faring. The canopy itself is also no big deal, just file down the rear frame so that it is the correct shape.

That's a fine TA-4 you have there Matt! :D ;) Couple of questions if I may. Did you use the Red Roo or Missing Link conversion set? Also, what decals did you use...an old Microscale sheet? I'm interested in doing an aggressor. TIA

So yes, the need for scratchbuilt parts is extremely minimal. The rest is just sanding off bumps and filling in the gun ports. You can even use the forward portion of the avionics hump (the canopy hinge area) since the shape is already there.
That's good know Trojan. Well...I guess I can actually make use of that OA-4M kit afterall. Thanx

:)

G'day Cyrus,

Re my TA-4, there was no aftermarket at all!!! Just used that stuff called "good old fashioned modelling skill"!!

AS I said in my first post, you really don't have to pay for someone else to make a conversion for a TA-4, it's really very basic scratch building.

the decals were from the Hobbycraft A-4 kit, with frisk film masked "14" on the nose. Colours mixed to match the photo I had of this bird

Cheers

M

I was surprised to find that there is no kit, in 1/48th, of the TA-4F Skyhawk. A great member here advised I might try to make one from the Monogram, 1/48th, OA-4M. Is there a conversion set or am I just going to have to wait for one to come out? All info appreciated. I was advised that Fugumi did one in 48th sometime ago, but that it is really 1/50th and basicly crap.

Bill

I recently purchased (from ebay) a 1/48 resin conversion kit from what appears to be a small operation called ATTIC Aircraft Models.This kit is to be used in conjuction with the Monogram OA-4M kit.The kit consists of left and right fuselage halves,front and rear cockpits (with the seats molded in just like the Monogram kit parts),a separate positionable rudder,a vertical stab to fuselage fairing,rear instrument panel and control stick,vacuformed canopy, and a glareshield panel that is mounted to the canopy between the forward and aft seats.A full decal sheet is also provided.As far as I know,the kit is only available on ebay,and only through the bidding process (no 'buy it now' option).Also,availability is limited and sporadic.I would rate the quality of this kit as fair,since all the parts will require a lot of clean-up as well as extensive grinding to get the proper fit.If you've got the chops to pull off that kind of project (I'm not sure that I do),this is the kit for you.

G'day again,

I also have the War Eagle conversion, but looking at it and realising how much work it was in comparison to modifying the kit, I didn't use it.

I felt that the raised lines on the vac parts were OK, but not nearly as nice a Monograms.

If you'd like my WE coversion, give me holler!! :cheers:

Cheers

M