Promodeller/revell F-15E

The other minor difference is that the original RM issue represents a PW -220 powered bird while the Promodeler represents a -229 powered bird. Except for the bomb options, the core plastic between the two kits are identical. But, the -229 jets utilize large cooling intakes on the backs of the CFTs. The -220 jets just use a small flapper door back there instead. So, if you get the original RM kit, it doesn't make mention of the cooling scoops on the parts trees and the need to open up the flashed over holes on the CFTs.

The other minor difference is that the original RM issue represents a PW -220 powered bird while the Promodeler represents a -229 powered bird. Except for the bomb options, the core plastic between the two kits are identical. But, the -229 jets utilize large cooling intakes on the backs of the CFTs. The -220 jets just use a small flapper door back there instead. So, if you get the original RM kit, it doesn't make mention of the cooling scoops on the parts trees and the need to open up the flashed over holes on the CFTs.

Hi Jay,

Would the larger cooling vents you're referring too be sortta L-shaped ones, numbered 198/197 & 98/97 on the Pro-modeller kit?

TIA

Gareth

Well, one decal option for the Promodeller kit is for a -229 powered 494th FS Lakenheath Tigermeet aircaft, and the other is for a -220 powered 550th TFS jet. The cooling vents are included in the R-M kit, just nor mentioned in the instructions. They are parts 97, 98, 197, and 198.

Incidentally the RoG boxing (exact same plastic as the R-M version, just different instructions and decals) references the cooling vents, but doesn't mention that they are only for use on one of the decal options for that kit - the same 494 Tigermeet markings as the P-M kit, and not for the 57th FW option.

An easy way to determine if you need to use the vents is to look at the serial number of the aircraft on the vertical tail under the two letter airbase code. If it starts with 91- or later then use the vents, otherwise leave them off.

EDIT : To be more exact, if the serial number is 90-0233 or higher it is a -229 powered F-15E and needs the vent.

HTH,

Trent

Edited by BadCop

I think you can also go by the base. Not positive on this one, but I think all of the jets at Seymour-Johnson are -220 powered, and I know that with the re-assignment of the Alaska birds in the near future, that Mountain Home will all be -229 birds. I don't know, now that I have typed this, it sounds like this could be more confusing then helpful...sorry.

Aaron

Hi Jay,

Would the larger cooling vents you're referring too be sortta L-shaped ones, numbered 198/197 & 98/97 on the Pro-modeller kit?

TIA

Gareth

Yes, those are the parts. Those vents are on the parts trees for all the kits and they are needed for a -229 powered jet. The -220 powered bird represented in the standard RM boxing doesn't use them and therfore doesn't mention them in the instructions.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply everyone. Over here in Singapore, I think most of the offerings are for the R-G boxing, which does reference the vents. I do however see some of the US RM boxings here too. Maybe I should just get 1 of each seeing as how the ProModeller ones are almost impossible to get hold of here.