Revell 1/144 Cutaway Jumbo

Hi guys,

I bought the Revell Boeing 747 (Cutaway Display model, 1/144, Revell 50th anniversary) yesterday from a shop downtown Athens (in a very nice price it was too).

There were no surprises really. I was expecting the early 80s moulding and plastic I found inside and I guess that Revell did spend sometime trying to bring their very much used and old moulds to the standards they had when they were new. Also I was expecting to find a good quality decal sheet which indeed I found (included options are for SAS SE-DDL and BA but with no registration provided)

Now, has anyone of you very knowledgeable gentlemen actually built this beast? Any ideas or suggestions for aftermarket stuff? (I've already checked Hannants) Do you think I should scribe the panel lines? Or a simple sanding down of the raised panel lines would do?

Also I was thinking maybe I could build this exactly as it is, straight out of the box. The way it would have been if it were to be used on a travel agent's desk. What do you think about that? Would the simplicity of it all go down well or will the viewer - examiner dismiss the model as a child's toy plane?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

IMHO, it is a keeper. For starters, the Revell kit (cutaway or not) is the most accurate -100 or -200 kit out there compared to the Airfix offering. As for the interior, you are somewhat limited to 1970s schemes since the overall seating arrangement in coach class is 3-4-2 instead of the usual 3-4-3 arrangement used starting in the late 1970s. But, if you paint the interior up right, probably not many people would notice since the final pair of seats is sitting over by the window on the far side of the fuselage anyway.

As for detailing, in 1/144 you typically don't see much in the way of fuselage panel splits, so I would say sand the panel lines off and don't rescribe them. Leave the wing and lower fuselage panels on instead.

Edited by Jay Chladek

I bought 2 of these along with 2 of the 2707 kits. I'm thinking of filling the cut-outs on one and making it a 747-100B (747SR) or a 747-200F. I was going to use BRAZ JT9D-70A and wheels to create a Seaboard World 747-245F Freighter (my all time favourite livery!) I'm making a freighter because I don’t know if I will be able to create the window's when I fill in the cut out's.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0407149/L/

I'm thinking of filling the cut-outs on one

I can see one of the aftermarket companies releasing plugs for the holes, if it is a good -100. Vac form or resin inserts to fit in the cut-outs, to build a 'normal' model. I'd think a lot of people would be interested in building the kit without the interior, but it'd be a huge amount of work to get all those windows in place...

Anyone know of a good color scheme for the interior of an early 70's BA machine (one of the decal options)? Or does it even matter?

I was thinking some gray floors (carpet) and tan and beige seats? Off white cabins walls? Or am I being silly?

I bought 2 of these along with 2 of the 2707 kits. I'm thinking of filling the cut-outs on one and making it a 747-100B (747SR) or a 747-200F. I was going to use BRAZ JT9D-70A and wheels to create a Seaboard World 747-245F Freighter (my all time favourite livery!) I'm making a freighter because I don’t know if I will be able to create the window's when I fill in the cut out's.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0407149/L/

Interesting picture! Does the cutaway kit come with PW engines? The reason I ask is that the Seaboard 747 looks like it has GE engines even though the PW logos are on them. Can someone clarify this?

Does the cutaway kit come with PW engines? The reason I ask is that the Seaboard 747 looks like it has GE engines even though the PW logos are on them. Can someone clarify this?

Certainly, Ray!

The Revell cutaway model has the usual PW JT9 engines.

The Seaboard 747 photo shows an interim development model (quite rare - more rare than the early RR RB-211) of the JT9. It had a larger fan, hence the bypass ducting looks more like a GE. This version of the JT9 was soon subsequently developed further into the PW4000 series.

Scott.

Certainly, Ray!

The Revell cutaway model has the usual PW JT9 engines.

The Seaboard 747 photo shows an interim development model (quite rare - more rare than the early RR RB-211) of the JT9. It had a larger fan, hence the bypass ducting looks more like a GE. This version of the JT9 was soon subsequently developed further into the PW4000 series.

Scott.

Thanks Scotty!

There were a total of seven planes built with the JT9D-70A powerplant. It was rated at 53,000 lbs. thrust. As bserved, externally, it's installation and cowling look very similar to the GE CF-6. The engine has the accessories mounted below and external to the fan air stream which is similar to the CF-6. On other JT9 engines, those accessories are mounted in the waist of the engine aft of the front fan and below the hp compressor and hot sections.

As I understand it, the idea was to develop a powerplant package that could be common for 747, DC-10 and A300 installations. In fact, the JT9 engines installed on the DC10-40 series, only ordered by JAL and NWA, are very similar in layout to the -70A.

5 aircraft were built for Seaboard World, one for Cargolux, and one for Air Madagascar.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, ok you are the master and only your know as how to build the models. I'm fan of your models, and I entertain me seeing how you build it (in fact I'm building an airbus A 380, with interior lights, be not chirped that I'm plagiarizing your idea, but I want an A 380 with light interior too) B)

Otherwise, you are fortunate in having that jewel of airplane, and I trust in as build it, is going to get well.

so good luck with your 747-100

It sounds like a great project to go all out on, like adding internal lights, baggage to the holds, details in scale make an adhesive felt that you can use for carpets... photo paper and an inkjet can lend to creating the "inflight movie" (back lit as well)..

as for a scheme, how bout the red and white prototype scheme? it would look cool (i know the heller kit in 1/125 has the markings moulded into it)