Georgies 1/144 Stealth Fighter

Here is the cockpit of the stealth fighter. The instrument panels are decals but the rest is airbrushed and brush painted. :yahoo: (personally I think brush painting is funner than using an airbrush) :cheers:

Cockpit2lighter.jpg

Cockpit3lighter.jpg

Cockpit1lighter.jpg

Edited by Thommo

Georgie here.

Yes and Yes. Yes it's a 1/144 scale and yes it's the Revell kit which we got on sale at Toyworld for $4. Dad taught me how to drybrush and i drybrushed the seat with light ghost grey. I also painted the control knobs yellow and red very carefully with a teenytiny brush. Next up we're masking the canopy and painting the tyres. Stay Tuned Dudes. :cheers:

Georgie :cheers:

Georgie, you can use a sharpened toothpick / cocktail stick to put a small amount of paint on the knobs and control sticks and such. At least, I think it's easier that way :)

I'd like to see more pic's please miss :D

:banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Got all the main bits together now. :D Priming and paint next. Painting the wheels was a nightmare :P but I got through it with a bit of help. Some of the bits did not fit to well- might need some putty :nanner

body0003.jpg

body0005.jpg

body0002.jpg

You build models in more detail than i do, and im 4 years older!!

Great work!

Thats because i have a perfectionist as a father (although i hate messy looking models) and he shows me how to make them good.

• 3 weeks later...

Georgie asked me to post a few more pics. She's masked the canopy (instead of using the time consuming small strips of Tamiya tape, she opted for big bits of magic tape, then cutting around the canopy frames with a blade - takes more skill IMO - went OK except for the the front screen which we only noticed after priming is not hard up against the port frame - but it is 1/144 & a good job for an 11 yo). She applied a Tamyia putty/acetone slurry to gaps on wing roots & tail then smoothed off with cottonbud dipped in acetone. I tidied up a little more with sandpaper. She then primed with Tamyia spraycan - this has revealed more sanding needed in a few spots & a gap at front of canopy to fill. We'll finish sanding/priming this week but paint will have to wait til we get back from Xmas hols. All the undercarriage is painted - freehand tyre painting in 1/144 is a nightmare for anyone, but she had a go & I tidied it up a bit as best I could.

We are having deep and menaingful discussions about the pros & cons of weathering the final paint job by leaving some areas with less topcoat to make them look faded - I'm a weathering freak, she aint :cheers:

Primed0073.jpg

Primed0071.jpg

Georgie asked me to post a few more pics. She's masked the canopy (instead of using the time consuming small strips of Tamiya tape, she opted for big bits of magic tape, then cutting around the canopy frames with a blade - takes more skill IMO - went OK except for the the front screen which we only noticed after priming is not hard up against the port frame - but it is 1/144 & a good job for an 11 yo). She applied a Tamyia putty/acetone slurry to gaps on wing roots & tail then smoothed off with cottonbud dipped in acetone. I tidied up a little more with sandpaper. She then primed with Tamyia spraycan - this has revealed more sanding needed in a few spots & a gap at front of canopy to fill. We'll finish sanding/priming this week but paint will have to wait til we get back from Xmas hols. All the undercarriage is painted - freehand tyre painting in 1/144 is a nightmare for anyone, but she had a go & I tidied it up a bit as best I could.

We are having deep and menaingful discussions about the pros & cons of weathering the final paint job by leaving some areas with less topcoat to make them look faded - I'm a weathering freak, she aint :D

Primed0073.jpg

Primed0071.jpg

Looks great! I can't even get a model to look this good. Keep up the good work, both. ;)

Very impressive for an 11 year old ! ;)

Very impressive full stop! B) I've built one of those tiny Revell 1/144 jets, a MiG, and it looked nowhere near as smooth as that. Fantastic...

Very impressive full stop! :cheers: I've built one of those tiny Revell 1/144 jets, a MiG, and it looked nowhere near as smooth as that. Fantastic...

I helped my 7 yo nephew make the 1/144 Revell Mig last Christmas. The good thing was that the Tamiya undercoat was a close match for the final colour, so we just hit it with the spray can then airbrushed on a few black bits. It can be a slow process building kits with kid's because most can only go for about 10-20 mins at a time, but it's good for them to learn the skills and learn that doing a good job takes time.

Jordie.jpg

FullJet.jpg

Georgie

Looking excellent! Nice work :)

My two sons are keen ono Warhammer and my oldest, Douglas (19), is exceptionally good at painting the kits. My daughters are not into model kits like you.

:cheers:

MikeJ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Georgie here. The stealthfighter is now painted. We mixed mostly German Grey with a few drops of flat black. It was almost perfect but then Dad put big drops of water on the fresh paint :cheers: but we sort of fixed it :worship: We still have to pull the masking tape off put the decals on and the wheels. We're hoping it's not going to be a tail sitter. First we have to spray some gloss.

Klutz Dad here - yup Georgie sprayed it absolutely perfectly (Tamiya acrylics) then I spilt drops of water on it, requiring a bit of a respray :worship: The instructions did not specify a nose weight (& it did not even enter my mind till too late) but a quick dry fit of the wheel struts suggests it might not be a tail sitter - just.

Painted0004.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 months later...

Georgie has finally finished it :worship: . She put all the decals on herself (fiddly in 1/144) sealed them with Pollyscale gloss, drybrushed some metalic grey onto the vents, finished with Pollyscale flat clear. Put it in the model comp at local show and scored first prize in the kid's (U15) section.

Finished0003.jpg

Finished0004.jpg

Finished0005.jpg