Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Wild Bill's Hobby Shop

535 E Shady Grove Rd

Irving, TX 75060

This is another shop mostly dedicated to RC modeling. However they do have a huge selection of plastic models, paints and accessories. This is one place with a huge inventory and sometimes it is difficult to find tools behind all the inventory.

Don't forget MAL in Irving!

I've been to Roy's, he has a great selection of CA superglues.

A new hobby shop just opened in north Dallas, north of 635 off Preston. I don't recall the name, Chris Ish posted something about it last month.

I really can't say enough good things about Richard's HobbyTown USA in Plano. I'm not sure its Richard's, but he's the guy you want to talk to when you're there. I thought modeling was over when Phil's closed, but this HobbyTown USA is just great. This isn't your usual Hobby Town USA. Yes, they have plenty of RC cars, boats etc, but they also carry resin, photoetch, aftermarket decals, have a great kit selection, carry all kinds of paints (Tamiya, Gunze, Alclad, Vallejo) and are always helpful in ordering special requests. Don't miss this place - NorthEast corner of Parker and Independence in Plano, Tx.

Steve

• 1 year later...

I've just been to the DFW area and checked out a few of the shops mentioned here:

Wild Bill's - big selection of kits and well worth a visit.

Hobbytown in Plano - a bit disappointing in terms of selection but I was in a bit of a rush and must have missed the decals and aftermarket stuff.

Hobby Annex - this is the one on Preston north of 635, at the intersection with Campbell. This had a decent selection of kits, plus decals and aftermarket stuff at reasonable prices.

All had the obligatory Squadron books.

Just my 2c.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a weekend in Ft. Worth, and had the opportunity to drop in at Wild Bills; I have to say I LIKE that place!

Very much an old-school shop; boxes piled toward the ceiling, narrow aisles, and the unspoken guarantee that there's gold buried in there somewhere.

• 11 months later...

I just stopped by the Hobby Town USA in Dallas (off Walnut hill road), I wasn't too impressd. They had a fairly small selection, prices were on the high side of average but they did have a few kits pretty heavily discounted. Unfortunaterly none I was looking for. They had a small selection of aftermarket decals, but again nothing to really write home about. Worth a look if you're going by, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make a stop there.

• 6 months later...

Spent Monday 7/20/09 in Plano, missed the Hobby Town , didn't know about it till this past week. HobbyAnex (old name old address)/Planet Hobbies (new name new address) both on Preston is closed, out of business, an empty shop.

• 1 year later...

The Hobbytown USA in Plano, on Parker, is no more. I dunno if they moved or what.

I went looking for it this past Monday (8/30/10), and they have vacated the premises.

Input/info from a Dallas local would be helpful....

Edited by RotorheadTX

Awww 'Man!

This info could have been helpful last week.

Was up in the DFW area job hunting this past wednesday, and I wish I had known about these places. I had most of the afternoon off and didn't know where to go... the only one I knew about was Squadron up in Carrollton. I stopped by and they were very welcoming. I got to tour their facilities and bought some kits.

Hopefully there will be a next time and I'll make sure to look these places up.

thanks,

Ernie A.

the hobbytown in arlington is pretty decent. it is at 20 and cooper, on the south side, in the shopping center with hobby lobby. if anyone is familiar with it, it moved from its old location on the north side of I-20, in the grandy's parking lot. if you remember where they were before the grandy's parking lot, there new location is right next to where their old location was. i dont venture east of 360 much, so cant speak of dallas hobby shops.

• 1 month later...

Also worth a stop if you like nostolgia abotu a mile north of Wild Bills is MAL hobbies, Model Aviation Labs. It is a bit of everything shop, started by a guy who was still working in his 90's. Ask to see the museum.

• 1 year later...

Stopped by Plano Hobbytown. It is at Park and the Dallas Tollway. It is on the SE corner inside the shopping center a row or two. Average plastic kits (Arlington is much better now); however, good supplies. Neat little shop regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

Also worth a stop if you like nostolgia abotu a mile north of Wild Bills is MAL hobbies, Model Aviation Labs. It is a bit of everything shop, started by a guy who was still working in his 90's. Ask to see the museum.

Call before heading over to MALs. Sometimes he is not there. Lovely old chap, and always good for a chat.

Jarrod

Follow-up on the Arlington Hobbytown. It has a probably the best selection for plastic in the area (four long rows of various plastic), though, typical HT prices. They also have a good selection of tools, supplies and paints. Very little by way of aftermarket.

Another place I found in Fort Worth is Mason's Hobby Lobby. It is a hole in the wall off Hwy 26 (Mason's Hobby Lobby, 6905 Boulevard 26, Fort Worth, TX, (817) 284-0264). If one would categorize it as a bar, it would be a dive. Lots of dust, dark. They have some kits and actually decent selection of paints. It was an experience. ‎

Edited by Chorse6
  • 4 months later...

Howdy, Just wanted to add my 2 Cents..Just got back from a TDY at Sheppard, took a weekend trip to Dallas. With GPS help I found Wild Bills, and I must say WOW, talk about finding the lost city of Atlantis!!! I could have spent a week in there and not seen all the kits. I ended up leaving with 3 kits that I have had no luck locating in several years! If you are in the DFW area, STOP BY WILD BILLS!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Fort Worth now has a hobby shop. Hobbytown opened a new store about a mile north of I-20 on Hwy 183/AltaMere Drive. It is tucked the shopping center with Target.

Plastic selection is modest (not as good as Arlington). Good selection of tools/paints. No after market stuff. Good RC support.

• 1 month later...

New (to me) Hobbytown- Colleyville Blvd(HWY 26) and Hall-Johnson Road, Colleyville

I drove by that area every week for the last year or so and had no idea it was there. It is in the Colleyville shopping center. It's been there 4 or so years.

Not a bad selection of plastic. Excellent selection of supplies and paints. If you're into figures, they have a nice variety to include bases.