Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Fort Worth now has a hobby shop. Hobbytown opened a new store about a mile north of I-20 on Hwy 183/AltaMere Drive. It is tucked the shopping center with Target.

Plastic selection is modest (not as good as Arlington). Good selection of tools/paints. No after market stuff. Good RC support.

Sadly, I don't see this place staying open long with their selections . I go there often for emergency paints if needed, but I haven't seen their customer base pick up hardly at all, and their modeling selection is crap. Typical cliche Revell kits that you'd expect to find from someone who has no more insight than to order typical kits, and hope they sell. No doubt, I wasn't expecting any gems in shopping their, but it's almost a laughable showing as far as modeling stuff goes. In my honest opinion, if I was running a hobby town, I wouldn't carry any kit that Hobby Lobby or Michaels stocks in their stores, because it would be crazy to think that people would pay your marked up, nearly retail prices for kits, when they got the option to get the same kit for less, even without spending the 40% off coupon. Even their paint selection is modest, nothing at all compared to the variety offered at the Arlington location. I think they should have either started out with a bigger store so they weren't so pressed for space to make up the difference. Instead, they'd rather charge $69 for the Academy F-4B, and expect to keep their doors open that way.

• 5 months later...

Updates on DFW stores:

- Hobbytown (Walnut Hill/75- Dallas)- Just ran into this one by accident. Unlike the comment from above, I thought it was a decent store. Typical HT prices, though they have a good selection of kits. Looks like they do consignment as they have older kits (though may be a little higher priced). Good selection of tools and supplies. They have a "discount room" in the back right that may have a couple hidden gems.

- Hobbytown (Colleyville)- Moved. No longer off Hall Johnson. They moved further south a few miles off of TX26(Grapevine Hwy) near Lowes. Same comments from before.

- Hobbytown (Plano)- Formerly near Parker&Tollway. They moved over to HWY 75. Haven't been there yet.

- MALs- Still kickin. I have to give kudos to Mr. Seay Jr. Very nice gentleman. He let me go in his "warehouses" to try to find an old KokuFan (wasn't easy, but we did).

- Hobbytown (Plano)- Formerly near Parker&Tollway. They moved over to HWY 75. Haven't been there yet.

I've been to the new site a couple times now. It is a bigger store and they have quite a few more items now. The plastic model building supplies has gotten much better. They are now carrying mr. surfacer and tenax 7r (again), along with a lot of tools and supplies they did not carry before. It's my go to in Dallas.

Edited by falcon20driver
  • 2 weeks later...

I just went to the Hobbytown in Arlington, off I-20 and I loved it, very good selection of kits in all different catefories. I ended up with three 72nd kits that I had been oogling for a while.

Lacking in aftermarket, but otherwise a very good store. Also went in to Hobby-Lobby but did not end up using my coupon there, they only had one kit I wanted and it was not THAT high on the list...

I also went to Wild Bill's last month and did have a haul from there as well!

Thank cripes my job sends me to Arlington every year!

Cheers

H.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Those two are good. I would also add the Hobbytown in Arlington (I-20 and Cooper). I would also look at Wild Bill's; still a fun place for plastic.

Edited by Chorse6
  • 7 months later...

Short update. Wild Bill's is still alive, lots of old stuff and mostly old manufacturers(Hasegawa, Revell etc.) So-so on paints.

Hobbytown in Plano: great on paints, to my surprise they carry Gunze Mr. Color line with great prices (2.69 a bottle) and other Gunze products. So-so on kits though.

Hobbytown in Dallas: Large store, lot's of kits with good choice, usual suspects in paint and tools.

Edited by Helmsman
  • 2 years later...

Wild Bill's is dead...sort of.  Owner decided to retire. Bought out by the owner of the Dallas area Hobbytown. Allegedly there was a large pile of estate kits in a couple storage areas. Speaking to some of the HT folks, they said the intent is to spread out those kits to those stores (Dallas, Plano, Lewisville and Colleyville). When I spoke to them, they were not sure what they were going to do with the physical "Wild Bill's" property. I need to drive over there and check.

Hobbytown Lewisville is still pretty good; especially for paints. Same with Colleyville.

The Hobbytown in Arlington and west Fort Worth are no longer. Ended up going bankrupt.

• 2 years later...

I was in Dallas recently. I had some time to stop by the HobbyTown in Lewisville. They must have cut back on their supply of paints. The carry Tamiya, Mission Models and Vallejo.  I was expecting more. Good selection of tools and okay selection of models.