What we've all been waiting for...

Having read these posts, I am in two minds about the 'troll' effect. So, let's see if this has any effect?

I am a modeller! A simple statement of fact. I require information on a particular subject when I begin a project. To fulfil this need I use commercial mags, MAM, SAMI, SCAM, etc, scoure the outernet (a far more decriptive name don't you think) and look around for any books on the subject.

OK, having said all that, I do not subscribe to any model magazine for the simple reason that many issues contain nothing that is of interest to me. If a mag has something of interest, I buy it there and then. I do read all the contents, to get my money's worth you understand (except tailpiece in SAM) and the mag goes into the collection.

I do not concern myself with editorial fascinations with certain potential kits, everyone has his own personal 'wish list' after all. At the end of the day, each editor has his or her own style which they bring to a publication and I find that I gravitate towards those with a similar mindset to my own. Sufice it to say, my sense of humour is not to everyones taste, which is perhaps why I can appreciate others more readily than some.

On a personal note, I find that if Neil Robinsons' involved in a mag, it's usualy very good. It aslo helps if you know the person concerned first hand.

IAN

:D-->

QUOTE(Henrik B @ Nov 24 2006, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That you assume that the manufacturers are stupid enough to belive that "everyone" wants a Gannet because one news editor say so in a OBVIOUS attempt to lighten up the content, is condescending in the extreme. The manufacturers and indeed we readers are smarter than that, I promise.

I think you must have mis-read what I actually said - I didn't say that. We all know that manufacturers don't give a toss what a model magazine says - they represent a tiny minority of people. My point was about the editorial standards demonstrated by these magazines.

But you also have to wonder just how much influence editors and writers might have on smaller manufacturers, who may well put some kind of value in such literature and create their new kits accordingly. I certainly hope that's not the case.

Seem to me you did, but I may ofcourse be mis-reading.