SB-17G Rescue Version - Looking for pictures

I´m planning to built my 1/72 Academy SB-17 I bought some years ago. Can anyone help me with some pictures of the aircraft? I made a little google-search so far but didn´t came up with too much.

HAJO

Hmm, honestly, I´m not that "bookworm" and usually prefer everything that comes priceless via I-Net. I spend all my money on model kits and not on books... Thank you anyway for the help, much appreciated!

HAJO

Amount of dihedral?? Sorry, no native speaker here, what do you mean? I finished the "standard" B-17G some years ago and found it a quite relaxing build.

HAJO

Dihedral is the upward slope of the wings towards the tips.

Look at B-17 models in the Academy catalogue, the wingtips are a bit too high.

Wingtips on a B-17 should be level with the lower edge of the cockpit windows, no higher.

Thanks for the input so far. Another question: Were the SB-17s armed or did they got rid of all their weapons?

HAJO

I've seen pictures of SB-17s with and without armament - so it's your call.

I think it depends where they were operating, and any opposition the might meet.

I've got a picture of 483802 Pacific Tramp, Okinawa 1946, with upper and lower turrets - but I can't see any guns.

Another picture of a USCG post-war PB-1G with lifeboat - and no turrets.

As you've seen, my SB-17 has lost all but her tail guns.

The acft converted prior to the end of WWII (B-17H "Flying Dutchman") carried their full defensive armament with the exception of the ball turret. After the war the armament was slowly removed with the chin turret being the first to go and replaced by the radar dome. During the Korean War, defensive armament returned to aircraft operating in that area. Tail and waist positions were most commonly used but some aircraft also restored the upper turret and cheek positions as well.

The SB-17G designation was adopted in 1948.

The USCG PB-1G was also unarmed.

:D

That looks weird! :blink:

I just checked out my B-17G I built some years ago, and I have the feeling the dihedral is not as bad as shown here. But judge on your own:

B17out2s.jpg

I used the model to pratice battle damage and was quite satisfied.

B17out1s.jpg

B17out3s.jpg

B17bottom2.jpg

Once upon a time: ;)

B17out2sw.jpg

HAJO

Butting in . . . I'd like to do my SB-17 in Portuguese markings, but only if I can confirm that they carried the boat. I've read that they sometimes did carry it. However, every photo I've seen is boatless. Anybody have a photo of a boat-laden Portuguese SB-17?