"DinaMight" B-26B-55-MA

Greetings friends.

So we're off to the races again. This time, I'm building one of my favorites: a Martin B-26 Marauder.

This ship flew with the 584th Bomb Squadron, 394th Bomb Group.

B26FlightDeck.jpg

B26FlightDeck3.jpg

This particular Marauder did not have the "fixed" weapon firing through the plexi. I had to rework the flooring when I removed the ammo box. The seat, pedistal and seat belts were scratch built.

More to follow.

Blue skies, Wiggy

Edited by Wiggy

Greetings. :cheers:

If you've ever built the 1/48th scale Monogram B-26 Marauder kit,

you know how bad the seams on the nacells are.

Just like little "Grand Canyons" to overcome.

That's only after you get the best position for the ill- fitting pieces/parts.

(Rob Peter to pay Paul...) :thumbsup:

I had to find/dress the best seams and then make-up the difference.

Notice the Grey plastic "filler".

Seam.jpg

Radial.jpg

Everything will get a good polish before paint. Should work-out OK.

Blue skies, Wiggy

Edited by Wiggy

So I need to weight the nose on this here B-26. She's really tail heavy.

I thought I had some lead pipe chunks stashed somewhere here in my "lab". I like using the old pipe because you can trim it and bend it to fit the fuselage. No luck so I decided to buy/borrow some lead fishing sinkers.

I asked my one buddy if he had anything I could use. He gives me a nice handful of 50 cal lead shot from a flintlock. I say, "Perfect!". :cheers:

The two just seem to go together. At least the shot is the right caliber!

Tails up, Wiggy

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings. :blink:

So here's some more progress pics. :blink:

This is how I got the mini-balls to fit behind the flightdeck bulkhead. I flattened and glued 14 pieces of lead together. Then I ground them down to fit into the fuselage. Once I got the weight right, I could finally button her up. "Mile marker" on this journey for sure!

SmashedMiniBallsFlash.jpg

I had to install 4 "glass" pieces as there is no way to get these in once the halves were glued together.

SideFront.jpg

Blue skies, Wiggy

Edited by Wiggy
  • 4 weeks later...

Happy Holidays!

So I made some more PROGRESS. :(

The wings and tail went on with only a little fuss. Seams were filled, filed, scraped, wooled and polished.

Now I can get to the paint shop. The next 5 colors will really make a difference.

model003.jpg

model007.jpg

model006.jpg

model009.jpg

model008.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone knows when the new "Zotz B-26 decals" are to be released?

Crisp skies, Wiggy

Edited by Wiggy
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings friends.

Say, I gotz the Zotz. They're just beautiful- really nice! :woo:

So I ran some Neutral Grey through the ole' Badger. Some progress!

BrightWetBelly.jpg

WetBelly.jpg

She's still wet. More colors this week...

January skies, Wiggy

Yeah Man, I took all those pics at some really GREAT air shows.

9-11 put the hurt on the air shows around here. I remember we traveled to 3 major air shows one Summer- it was sweet. I had the sounds of radial engines in my ears for months. The best shows were at Elmyra-Corning, New York. Before that, Geneseo was the place to see warbirds. Funny, The Wings of Eagles Show is gone but Geneseo continues to put on a really nice show. Gotta' get back up there someday.

Winter skies, Wiggy

So I had some time in the model room! :nanner:

I'm commin'-along well. Masked and painted the fabric control surfaces and used some of the same "mix" to fade the upper surfaces. Next was the Medium Green blotching- that was fun. Last was the Black wing walk-ways.

Greenil019.jpg

Greenil014.jpg

Greenil013.jpg

Greenil017.jpg

Greenil009.jpg

More to follow... ;)

Winter skies, Wiggy

Edited by Wiggy

I dig progress! :whistle:

The invasion stripes were painted-out on the upper surfaces. Cleaned-up some other areas.

Those incredible Zotz decals are next...

StripesGone002.jpg

StripesGone014.jpg

StripesGone012.jpg

StripesGone006.jpg

More to follow...

Winter skies, Wiggy

Greetings friends.

So I cleaned-up some areas with the airbrush and then slammed the decals.

decals001.jpg

decals004.jpg

Lots of carrier film here. I used the supplied "white" under-lay (to keep the decal colors bright and provide the white border around the letters) and then the color decal on top.

Not real sure how I want to clean this up. I'm not sure the "clear flat" top coat will do the magic. There's some silvering going-on already. I'm a little gun shy about using any micro-set because it really tries to eat/wrinkle the carrier. In the past, I've painted-out the carrier film. I'm interested in your thoughts... :wave:

decals002.jpg

decals007.jpg

decals008.jpg

More to follow. :wave:

January skies, Wiggy

Greetings friends.

So I cleaned-up some areas with the airbrush and then slammed the decals.

decals001.jpg

decals004.jpg

Lots of carrier film here. I used the supplied "white" under-lay (to keep the decal colors bright and provide the white border around the letters) and then the color decal on top.

Not real sure how I want to clean this up. I'm not sure the "clear flat" top coat will do the magic. There's some silvering going-on already. I'm a little gun shy about using any micro-set because it really tries to eat/wrinkle the carrier. In the past, I've painted-out the carrier film. I'm interested in your thoughts... :)

More to follow. :wave:

January skies, Wiggy

Wiggy

I noticed you did not use any gloss coat prior to decalling. This certainly would have helped the silvering issue. I find that if a gloss coat is not possible, then the use of Future as a bedding/setting agent really helps too.

:wave:

MikeJ

Hey there MadMike! G'-Day Mate.

Yeah I know- a nice smooth surface for the decal to lay-down on.

I have about four shades of Green going right now: the base OD, the faded OD, the seams OD, and the patch/repairs OD. I was afraid I'd loose those hues with a gloss top coat. Sometimes you can't retrieve the feel then with a final "clear flat" top coat. I could have trimmed some of the film but then your left with such a blunt edge- not that fade-away beach you normally see.

I'm thinkin' I may have to grit my teeth and paint-out the carrier film. The flat top coat will help plus I want to seal the decals anyway.

Good to hear from you Man. Hope all is well down under... :wave:

Winter skies, Wiggy