"DinaMight" B-26B-55-MA

Wiggy

This is lovely work mate. Looking forward to seeing the final result. Are you joining the Monogram GB later this year?

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Hey Man, I'd like to but my modeling time has been cut way back.

Too many pans on the fire.

Do a good job though because I'm watchin"!

January skies, Wiggy

great airbrushing ! clever use of foam =] how affective is it?

The foam works real nice. You gotta' watch that you don't cut the pieces too big the fit the opening. You can get the pieces in but may have trouble getting them back out. Too small and they won't stay in position.

Give it a try the next time your preparing to go to the "paint shop". :thumbsup:

Chilly skies, Wiggy

I'm a current member of the 384th Air Refueling Squadron, which is the descendant of the former Bomb Sq. I've got to say that it's exciting to see your project coming along.

I agree about the use of Future prior to decalling. It's so clear, you wont lose the effect of various shades and you wont have the silvering problem.

Cant wait to see it finished.

Jeff

Wow, a 384th member. :) That's cool!

Thanks for your interest. So I painted-out the carrier film around the decals. Not what you want to do every time but it helps. The clear flat should finish the job.

I kinda' like the way it looks now- has that hands-on flavor.

More pics coming.

Thanks for your post and your service to our country. :cheers:

Chilly skies, Wiggy

Wiggy, I'm very interested in the invastion stripes that you painted over on the model. Do you know much about that practice in the war?

I ask only because many years ago (20 years?) I recall someone at an IPMS Nats doing the same thing on a 1/72 CG-4A glider. I thought it looked interesting and want to do the same thing on my own model now. I can see where the troops would've overpainted the stripes on a bomber, but I can't understand a scenario where the troops would've overpainted the stripes on a glider (generally a one-use airplane). Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

BTW, nice build on the B-26. I really like the weathering you've done thus far.

Wiggy, I'm very interested in the invastion stripes that you painted over on the model. Do you know much about that practice in the war?

I ask only because many years ago (20 years?) I recall someone at an IPMS Nats doing the same thing on a 1/72 CG-4A glider. I thought it looked interesting and want to do the same thing on my own model now. I can see where the troops would've overpainted the stripes on a bomber, but I can't understand a scenario where the troops would've overpainted the stripes on a glider (generally a one-use airplane). Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

BTW, nice build on the B-26. I really like the weathering you've done thus far.

OK Man, Here's the whole story in a nut shell: After D-Day, the Allies began using air bases in France. The invasion stripes on the upper surfaces of our planes were painted-out so the aircraft wouldn't be so visible to marauding German aircraft. I have the dates for the orders given to the Air Groups (to paint-out the stripes) around here somewhere. I think all AAF aircraft had the invasion stripes on the upper surfaces painted-out by the Fall of 1944.

I've done "painted-out" invasion stripes before on several projects. The aircraft I built required heavy "painted-out" areas where the stripes (on the upper surfaces) 'were'.

For this B-26, I took note how the stripes were over-painted. The stripes are still there- visible beneath the quickly applied "over-spray". To achive the look, I had to first paint the stripes and then paint them out just like the real thing. The extra work is worth it. Looking forward to getting some pics in natural light. Just as soon as we get some temperature around here!

Thank you for your interest. :D

Winter skies, Wiggy

Hey there MadMike! G'-Day Mate.

Yeah I know- a nice smooth surface for the decal to lay-down on.

I have about four shades of Green going right now: the base OD, the faded OD, the seams OD, and the patch/repairs OD. I was afraid I'd loose those hues with a gloss top coat. Sometimes you can't retrieve the feel then with a final "clear flat" top coat. I could have trimmed some of the film but then your left with such a blunt edge- not that fade-away beach you normally see.

I'm thinkin' I may have to grit my teeth and paint-out the carrier film. The flat top coat will help plus I want to seal the decals anyway.

Good to hear from you Man. Hope all is well down under... :salute:

Winter skies, Wiggy

I certainly understand that!

Looks as though your clean up is fixing the problem up as well ;)

Down Under is HOT. We had 3 straight days over 40C here in Perth with more promised to come.

Roll on winter :)

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Very nice build.

I built the Mongram 1/48 B-26 awhile back for a defunct magazine...Aircraft Modeller International and did a Midway verison...and I know that kit is not a shake and bake. You are doing some nice work!

Steve :wacko:

Greetings.

More progress: installed the pack guns, got the landing lights done, rusty exhaust stacks ready, and started some of the oil blow-by. Gotta' get to the hobby shop for more paint.

party022.jpg

party021.jpg

party024.jpg

party023.jpg

More to follow.

Winter skies, Wiggy

Wiggy

What did you use for the landing lites? They appear to be on in the photos. You know she's really looking good. Becareful "Dina" doesn't fly off to war.

Don923(flylo)

Don my good friend, I'd be glad to "fill you in".

On the Monogram 1/48th scale kit, there's a deep seam that runs right through the landing lights. This is from the wing halfs. It's a difficult "canyon" to fill plus, there's no clear plastic pieces for the lights.

So I used a really neat old punch set given to me by the late, great Charlie Haner. He used it to punch-out the instrument faces for his cockpits. The guy was incredible. Did I mention he was also a Flying Tigers Line Chief.

I took a Red pen and drew a dot on a piece of White paper, then punched-out the different diameters and Super Jetted them in place. I did paint the White "landing lights" but the Red "passing light" is ink!

They should look nice and bright behind the plexi covers.

Thanks for your post. :cheers:

Winter skies, Wiggy

Really enjoyed this build so far, all seems to be coming togther now, with the paint chipping done. Must admit to be taken with the 'Muscle Car Heaven' shelf in the background of (almost) all your photos.... Any chance I might get a close-up of the yellow 69/70 Pony ??? :worship:

Ian

Looking great! How did you do the paint chipping?

Chappie

Glad you like the Marauder. :yahoo:

The chipped leading edges and panel seams were done with silver paint. I like to clean my brush every couple of minutes to keep the paint flowing. I have some different ways of getting the look I want. You have to stop for a minute and think what kind of chipping would be present on the different areas. For example, a paint chip on the leading edges would be a slipstream-born impact: like from shell casings dropping from an aircraft in front and above my ship while in flight. These are more of a "smack" chip to the paint.

Other areas like when the ground crewman was ******-off that morning and jammed the fuel nozzle into the filler neck and missed the first three times- these would be scratches in the paint. Like maybe the "wrench" dropped the access panel rather than lay it down. You kinda' have to put yourself in their (1/48th scale) shoes to get a feel for what the chipped paint should look like.

Another method I use for "dents": I'll cut divits into the plastic before paint. After paint, I'll go back and dry-brush these areas so just the high spots pick-up the paint. The low spots really look like dents because they are.

Thanks for your interest. :nanner:

Wintery skies, Wiggy

Really enjoyed this build so far, all seems to be coming togther now, with the paint chipping done. Must admit to be taken with the 'Muscle Car Heaven' shelf in the background of (almost) all your photos.... Any chance I might get a close-up of the yellow 69/70 Pony ??? :nanner:

Ian

Hey Man, that's a 1970 Boss 302- one of my favorites.

I'll try to get some pics for you however, this may start another subforum! :yahoo:

Snowy skies, Wiggy