Near the airport:

http://www.skywaymodel.com/

Closest to downtown:

http://www.americaneagleshobbies.com/

(also check out the train shop downstairs from American Eagles - lots of interesting scratchbuilding supplies there, including the complete line of MV lenses).

EDIT: The URL for American Eagles seems dead, but I think the store is still around. Here's the address:

12537 Lake City Way NE

Seattle, WA 98125

(206) 440-8448

Just north of Seattle:

http://www.galaxyhobby.com/

There are also a couple of Hobbytowns (in Redmond, Lynnwood, and I think one down south) and model train shops in the area.

The Boeing Museum of Flight also has some kits and books, and is always worth a visit.

Edited by Bruce Roberts
  • 4 months later...

I'll be visiting Seattle on business next week (26th-29th March), and staying in the Bellevue area, but working in Redmond. The plane will arrive in the afternoon and depart Thursday. Any recommended shops that will be within easy driving distance and open in the evenings?

Jens

I highly reccomend both Skyway and American Eagles. I went out of my way to visit both of them when i lived in Whidbey Island.

I'll reinforce this - American Eagles are great guys to work with.

I'll go out of my way there whenever I go BACK to visit Whidbey Island

(Gee, how many Whidbey people are there on ARC???)

When the Monogram 1/48 EA-6B was OOP, I asked about any options and one of the guys there sold me his at a very fair price.

Parking's a little tough, but walking in (SNIFF) - it's like Christmas

Thanks for that info prowler4 - I couldn't find American Eagle's opening times however... Are they open Mondays?

And is Skyways Models still in business? Their website mentions a closing down sale.

Jens

I'll be visiting Seattle on business next week (26th-29th March), and staying in the Bellevue area, but working in Redmond. The plane will arrive in the afternoon and depart Thursday. Any recommended shops that will be within easy driving distance and open in the evenings?

Jens

Sorry I don't have their hours.

Getting there from Bellevue is very easy.

Take the 520 bridge west from Bellevue to Seattle.

Take Interstate 5 (I-5) north a couple of miles only to the Lake City Way exit.

Follow Lake City Way for (I think - don't hold me to this) 3 or 4 miles (passed about 20 car dealerships) and the shop is on your left.

The store might be easily missed - it's in a row of retail shops.

Thanks again prowler4,

Jens

Not a problem

Called them this afternoon - their website is under repair, but they're still goin' strong.

Their store hours:

Mon - Wed 10am-6pm

Thur & Fri 10am-8pm

Sat 10am -6pm

closed Sunday

Have fun. :)

Jeebeezus, jenshb! You gave me a SCARE! Yeah, they are having a "going Out of Biz" sale on April 1. They have one every April 1 I think. :-)

Skyway is the R0xOR! The BEST! The ONLY complaint I have about Emil's is that he refuses to move it south to Olympia so that Skyway would be more convenient to us!!

Eagles is pretty good too, but give the choice of the 2, I wouldn't hesitate to say that Skyway is #1. Hitting both is the best plan, of course. But you'll lose all track of time when at Skyway, and there is no possible way to leave without buying stuff. And of course it is all STUFF YOU NEED! :)

Have a Moai weekend everyone!! <_<

tracy

Edited by Clumber

Being a former resident of the greater Seattle area, I can give my opinion.

Skyway: Awsome selection of the older and OOP stuff. Can be a bit pricey. Worth the drive.

Galaxy: Possibly the best independant hobby store anywhere. Fantastic selection and decent prices. Bob is the greatest. He will get things for you if out of stock. More than worth the drive to Lynnwood. I prctically lived there!!!

American Eagles: Great bunch of very knowledgeable people. They will buy collections and offer them at decent prices. Prices for the newer stuff can be a bit higher than normal. Parking is a problem. They carry a huge selection of paints and other finishing items.

But Tracy - if Skyway moved to Olympia it would be even further away from me when i move back to Whidbey! Don't be so selfish! :) :D

Does American Eagles still do the discount table? That was always fun - stop by to see what you can grab at 40%, then get an armload more at regular price anyway... :beer4: And probably my second favorite part of Seattle after Pioneer square.

I know Galaxy had a 'Scratch and Dent' section where unwrapped kits or some with missing parts, or just ones to be blown out were. I got a Hasegawa 1/32 F-16C Thunderbirds for $12 and the only thing wrong with it was a cracked canopy. Easily fixed with Thermaform!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Seattle this week for business and was able to check out both Skyway and American Eagles. I was pretty impressed with Skyway, they have a TON of models crammed into their space, and the owner is ridiculously nice and very helpful and knowledgeable. I did notice some of the prices were a little higher, but not excessively, and I definitely picked up a couple things. American Eagles was a good stop too, they have a lot of older items and some newer items as well, but its a good place to find some of the things you don't see as often anymore. Also, they have a ton of finishing-type supplies and stuff. Didn't get a chance to go to Galaxy (although the Skyway owner told me I should make an effort to check it out - which I thought was pretty cool of him). Maybe next time. I'd definitely recommend them both, although I'd say I enjoyed Skyway a little more.

• 5 months later...

American Eagle is awesome. I was jus there yesterday and hit up the "Look what we found downstairs" shelf.

Haven't made the trip down to Skyway yet.

Galaxy is pretty good. I used to go there when they first opened up. The original group of guys they had there was amazing. Just went up a few weeks ago and the staff didn't seem as knowledgable as they once did and not as friendly. I didn't get greeted until I walked up to the register with kit in hand.

Part of the deal with Galaxy is that 2 of the original people who were there from day 1 were killed in a small plane crash a year or so ago. Now they have more of the younger kids there that just don't know as much. Last I heard the Hobbytown in Lynnwood is gone now. There is a new one in the Everett Mall.

I'll be an official resident of the Sound in less than six months, and will more than do my part to support regional shops...

For now my economic contribution has been limited to:

-Alaska/Horizon from Reno to Seattle on selected sunday mornings

-Coffee at either Starbucks or SBC in SeaTac

-King County Metro from SeaTac to more or less King Street Station

-Coffee at Zeitgeist - I'm a caffeine addict... sue me.

-Liquid Refreshment at the NW corner of 1st and King - one of the best bars on the planet

-Football - season tickets since the stadium opened in 2002, despite the fact I've lived in northern Nevada since May 2005

-BBQ at Longhorn outpost

-1st and King, again. Seen "Coyote Ugly?" Imagine it in way-too-small Seahawks-Jerseys. Welcome to my heaven.

-Last flight from SEA to RNO

-Drive from RNO to Fallon... with an occasional stop at In-and-Out

Karl.....I beleive you are refering to "Cowgirls Inc"? That place could best be described as a strip club with clothes. I love it!

ipms, thanks for the low down on Galaxy. Didn't know that. Hobbytown being gone isn't a bad thing. Back about 10 years ago, it would have been a tragedy. I was good friends with the whole crew over there, we used to play flag football every monday night after they closed the shop. I went in there about 5 or 6 years ago and Rick had sold the place and the new owner turned it into a R/C shop. There were like 10 plastic kits in the whole store. Redmond is like that now too.

And for the record karl....starbucks sucks....Tully's is much better.

Edited by paul.nortness
Karl.....I beleive you are refering to "Cowgirls Inc"? That place could best be described as a strip club with clothes. I love it!

ipms, thanks for the low down on Galaxy. Didn't know that. Hobbytown being gone isn't a bad thing. Back about 10 years ago, it would have been a tragedy. I was good friends with the whole crew over there, we used to play flag football every monday night after they closed the shop. I went in there about 5 or 6 years ago and Rick had sold the place and the new owner turned it into a R/C shop. There were like 10 plastic kits in the whole store. Redmond is like that now too.

And for the record karl....starbucks sucks....Tully's is much better.

Actually Zeitgeist is my favorite. Starbucks ain't great, but not terrible either, and at least you know more or less what you're getting.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Seattle area guys, anyone ever been to Broadway Hobbies up in Everett?

Everett was always one of those places that was to far to go to on a whim, but if i were REALLY going someplace, it was close enough that I wasn't ready to stop yet!!

So, no....

That is true. Rick is a very cool guy. He did own the Alderwood Mall store, sold it, went in on the Renton Store, now is in Everett. Interesting that the Alderwood store is gone and the Renton store is in bad shape. Both had their issues after Rick left them. Both tried to go mostly R/C and that is what killed them.