More bad news for the A380

To me it seems like the A380F program is in very serious trouble, with only 15 orders it is not good at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Airbus cancels the Freighter version.

Go Boeing! :blink:

Yep.....'twas a long time in comin' but when the latest delay was announced, Mr. Smith was compelled to pull the plug. Let's just say there are several in our AOD group who welcomed the change. We did have major expenditures and logistical projects relating to the 380 since '04 but the switch to the 777 isn't somethin' we can't handle.

Personally I think the 777F will be a good fit for us (did I mention I work for FedEx?). Got good range (it's based on the 200LR) and payload (not like the 380, but it still carries a bunch). No need for any special runway/taxiway mods, and it should be able to pay for itself fairly quickly.

If it were me? I'd retire several of our older DC-10s and A300s and by up another 20 or 25 777s over and above the announced order and options.

Can't wait to see one in our livery!! :cheers:

Edited by SimFixer
...what's the latest on the setbacks on the A380?? last I heard they fired a chief designer for something on the wings....

Good question! One has to wonder if this might lead to more cancelations and that may indeed cause some problems for the A380 Pgm? Who knows but it should be interesting to see what lies ahead.

Regards.

Edited by Don

Didn't Emirates cancel their order about a week or so ago? It's not looking good for the A380 right now, but I expect they'll bounce back once they get some planes out there.

edit: okay, I guess I jumped the gun. Emirates actually cancelled their A340-600 order but according to Bloomberg.com their getting very ansy about the A380:

"Emirates, Airbus's biggest customer for the aircraft, said it is sticking with the order for 43 A380s that it placed six years ago, though "it's absolutely critical we don't have more delays,'' president Tim Clark said in an interview yesterday.

Emirates, based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, said Oct. 28 it will send a team of auditors next week to Airbus's factories to determine whether there will be a fourth delay to the airliner. Clark said yesterday the move "is not a witch-hunt but simply an assessment exercise.''"

"Assessment exercise": That sure sounds like corporate-speak.

Edited by David Walker
They already have....

But I think the question is "can they sell 100 more?"

hehe Ok, they've sold them... can they make 'em??

Haven't heard about 'em. I've only heard about the Fly Emirates birds and Singapore that are flyin' around - those are NOT 100.... but nothing else....

Take Care

Edited by MaRiO FDZ
Who's bashing? Just talking about what is in the news.

Okay. Not necessarily bashing at the moment, but it COULD evolve in to that.

If one says anything negative about the Raptor, it's always considered bashing...

But the fact here is, the A380 program seems to have some bad problems. Hopefully they can sort them out.

Yep.....'twas a long time in comin' but when the latest delay was announced, Mr. Smith was compelled to pull the plug. Let's just say there are several in our AOD group who welcomed the change. We did have major expenditures and logistical projects relating to the 380 since '04 but the switch to the 777 isn't somethin' we can't handle.

Personally I think the 777F will be a good fit for us (did I mention I work for FedEx?). Got good range (it's based on the 200LR) and payload (not like the 380, but it still carries a bunch). No need for any special runway/taxiway mods, and it should be able to pay for itself fairly quickly.

If it were me? I'd retire several of our older DC-10s and A300s and by up another 20 or 25 777s over and above the announced order and options.

Can't wait to see one in our livery!! :)

Btw, is it true that FedEx is going to merge with UPS? The name of the new company will be FedUp! :) Sorry, a rather old one, but couldn't resist...

Anyway I always had my doubts that such a large plane as the 380 could be a good idea in a logistical point of view. Seems to me that, apart from a few high traffic routes, operators are now looking (both for passengers and cargo) for smaller and easier to operate planes instead, but I could be wrong.

Yuri

From what the thread says I get the gist that FedEx pulled out simply because they weren't going to get the planes when they needed them by.

I think that is the overriding issue…the carriers are concerned about the aircraft being delivered when Airbus said they were going to be delivered and when they (the carriers) plan to have them in their fleet. FedEx is a business and they need aircraft, the same as any airline does, so if Airbus cannot deliver the goods when needed and when promised, the carriers and businesses that use large aircraft are going to go elsewhere. Boeing is a viable and logical option. If Airbus has one or two more major issues with the A380 in the next little while, I fear what might follow.

Regards,

Don (who is neither anti-Airbus or pro-Boeing).