The SunDowners are back !!

So, will we see a revival of the famous "Boca Chita" camo that was previously used on the now deceased VF-45? It would look KA better than the desert schemes (and make better sense 2)

Ves :cheers:

I bet it was "boca chica" camo (since the Key West NAS is largely on boca chica key). Anyone have pics of this scheme?

Edited by jcfay
Fuj,

Per Navy Instruction, the #111, regardless of the type (could be HSL-111, for arguments sake) is associated with the "Sundowners" history, logo and patch unless they officially change it some time down the road. In the same instruction, you can not "adopt" history either.

Fallout from the Adm Johnson/VF-103/JR fiasco back in 1996.

I looked into this as a "JOPA" advisor (yes Karl, I am that cool) for a proposal to go back to the Bavarian Eagle "Old School" patch for our squadron - the result being we are legal to wear it, as it is still an "official" logo for the squdron...similar to the Wallbangers' "stoned lemur" patch.

HTH

Spongebob

I see what you mean Spongebob, and sorry if you misunderstood me, but they were kicking around the idea of becoming VFC-45 Blackbirds as well. I know that histories are related to the squadron numbers these days, give me a bit a credit I have been around the block a bit though I don't wear the wings. The decision was left to the guys at Key West themselves and the choices came down to, as I have it, VFC-45 Blackbirds or VFC-111 Sundowners and they chose the latter becouse of their Key West location and its famous Sunsets and party atmosphere in addition to the rich history. This from a short conversation with the Ops-O this afternoon. I'll get more on the change next week.

As for the numbers game, its about time the Navy caught up with the Marines and Air Force on this one, they have always maintained a number to unit lineage that the Navy really hasn't. The Jolly Rogers being the best example since they have been VF-17, 84, 61, 84 again, and now 103.

Fuj,

No worries...and I didn't mean to offend; it's just not well known. Tough call if they were given the choice - both 45 & 111 have great histories.

I'm sure the upgrade to squadron was driven by the desire to have another CO billet with the other reserve VFA's shutting down.

Sponge

Fuj,

No worries...and I didn't mean to offend; it's just not well known. Tough call if they were given the choice - both 45 & 111 have great histories.

I'm sure the upgrade to squadron was driven by the desire to have another CO billet with the other reserve VFA's shutting down.

Sponge

Oh Come on Sponge, you know I'm not that easy to offend! I've been hanging out with Naval Aviators my entire adult life! The problem with the forums is you can't see my "come on" look with beer in hand. From what I understand they basically said to them, IF you had the chance to become an independent command, who would you want to be. VFC-45 was at first the fore runner, and one I would have prefered. Alas they didn't ask me, nor did I expect them too, nor should I have had any real say so even if they did.

Sundowners it is, which is still cool and I hope they apply the Sunburst on the rudders. February may tell.

Did that consist of pink flamigo's superimposed on a rainbow background?

:cheers::cheers::yahoo:

Seems like someone is familiar with Key West.... I hope it was some cool sort of "coral" blue-green camo. Anyone?

It would be neat to see the sun-logo on the tail of a hornet.
Sundowner markings on Hornets... what, don't we have a :vomit: emoticon? <_<

Daniel

Sunburst on a Hornet?

Though part of me still wishes they'd reestablish as a Family Model Super Hornet squadron.

VFA111_NL100__001.jpg

Yes, it was "boca Chica" (this GD term paper is screwin' m' mind up).

The pattern was base of light A/C gray with another shade of brownish-gray (possibly Euro-1) and a blue-ish shade motted all over the place. Check the VF-45 A-4 in the gallery section to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Ves :cheers: