Airfix saved- prayer answered

nothing at all wrong with Kent, except its a bloody long way from Hull to commute

pity is that perhaps all the workforce from Hull had probably been lost.

All that experience gone down the toilet?

But lets not dwell on what is now the past. It is for the greater good, fits in well with Hornby. Let hope that Airfix (and Humbrol) can go from strength to strength

According to the radio report, HQ moving to Kent (as mentioned above) & production to China, India & maybe UK. IIRC, Hornby shifted production of their model trains & Scalextic range to China a couple of years back so that fits.

It will be good to see Airfix back again, maybe now we might see the Churchill Bridgelayer YAY!! :cheers:

Watcha Darren, as you'll be aware that was very much one of Trevor Snowden's "projects". It seems that Airfix are re-establishing themselves at Margate. The existing projects (at the time of their Demise) were very much Trevor's, and Trevor was made redundant as a part of the collapse.

A lot will depend on whether they still use Trevor's expertise, and as such re-employ him. If they do there's a very good chance that these projects will see the light of day, if not..well, who knows!!!!!!

Time will tell!!

Good news indeed. Although Revell would have been a good home for Airfix too, it's probably healthier that a completely different company has got hold of Airfix. Margate eh? Wasn't this where Frog used to live?!

Although the paint range has a certain nostalgia value, I don't think anyone was really losing much sleep over its demise. It was the kits that mattered so I'm sure we can look forward to seeing the TSR2 re-emerge as a normal-run kit, without the cynical "limited run" marketing ploy. Let's hope the Nimrod was sufficiently advanced to be completed. As for the Canberras, you have to wonder whether they'd progressed any further than drawings... but let's hope they appear eventually.

The gratifying aspect of this timely announcement is to think of all the people who thought they were going to make a fast buck at Telford, selling their Airfix kits as over-inflated prices to people who were stupid enough to imagine that they wouldn't re-appear sooner or later!

Hornby ought to be able to make a success out of Airfix. I hope they have the good sense to market the older, more "challenging" kits as difficult-to-build collector's items, and differentiate between the more modern, easy-to-build stuff. Would be a great shame if they allow buyers to confuse the ghastly stuff with the good stuff...again!

Edited by Chox
Although the paint range has a certain nostalgia value, I don't think anyone was really losing much sleep over its demise. It was the kits that mattered......

:cheers:

I was loosing sleep.

There is no other brand of paint available to me, or anywhere else in Ireland that has the range of colours as Humbrol.

Yes, no Xtraclolour, Tamiya, ModelMaster, Testors, Gunze or even revell. Bad paint is better than no paint at all.

The kits would appear again as long as the moulds survived, whoever had them.

This is good news, as the (one and only) local Model Shop is a Hornby Distributor.

:whistle:

:banana:

I was loosing sleep.

There is no other brand of paint available to me, or anywhere else in Ireland that has the range of colours as Humbrol.

Yes, no Xtraclolour, Tamiya, ModelMaster, Testors, Gunze or even revell. Bad paint is better than no paint at all.

The kits would appear again as long as the moulds survived, whoever had them.

This is good news, as the (one and only) local Model Shop is a Hornby Distributor.

:D

Also, a lot of color schemes quote Humbrols straight away, and for guys like me (not too demanding about color shades) this means to avoid looking for alternatives.

Let's hope the new management encourages Airfix to do more than 2 new kits a year!

Davide

I'm quite surprised that anyone would be fussed about the Humrol cans. Apart from their nostalgia appeal, most people seem to simply send-off for paint through the post these days. I can't remember the last time I ever bought any in a shop. And of course most folks would rather use acrylics these days instad of dealing with the misery of enamels! I guess that if you're not bothered about perfect matches, then Humbrol would be a good choice but even so, wouldn't acrylics be much less hassle? I have to admit that I'm rarely convinced that "authenic" colours are ever particularly accurate - I inevitably end-up adjusting them myself!

As for Airfix, I suppose we shouldn't expect too much from them by way of new material. If you've spent a huge sum of money on buying a company, it would make more sense to try and make a bit of cash on the assets you already have, rather than spending even more dosh on new moulds. And it's not like they wont have plenty of moulds to re-use... blimey, where would you start?! I'm guessing it'll be a long time before anything new appears, unless the Nimrod and Canberra kits were already well advanced.

Edited by Chox

Great news that the Airfix/Humbrol brand has been saved. It would be nice if Airfix still has a presence at Telford this year, still right now I'm thankful for the news that we have. Here's hoping that that Hornby invest some cash into the company, maybe we'll see the Nimrod after all?

I am surprised to hear about the quality problems with the enamel paints. I have used them for over a decade and never had any problems. What has been wrong with them? I'd be interested to know.

Darren.

Edited by tango 1

The Nimrod was, indeed, orignally scheduled for release about now, but it was some months ago that Airfix management conceded that, reasistically, this was never going to happen. Just before the company went belly-up, expected release date was March next year. As Mike suggests, if Hornby were to get their finger out, and start cutting tools immediately, this is still do-able. However, next Summer is more realistic.

OTOH, I understand that the tools for the RNLI Lifeboat actually exist; a Lifeboat before Christmas would be nice, and would show Hornby's commitment to the brand.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by pingu1

They just did a rather interesting interview with the MD of Hornby on Radio 2. When asked what his plans were for the brand he said.

"We intend to produce accurate, top quality products, which, at first tailor to the experts in the hobby. Much like we have for the Hornby range. Then move onto products specifically aimed at the younger age group and new comers to the hobby."

Sounds good to me. Let the good times roll and bring on the RNLI lifeboat.

Nigel.

I'm quite surprised that anyone would be fussed about the Humrol cans. Apart from their nostalgia appeal, most people seem to simply send-off for paint through the post these days.

And are only able to get paint through the post from abroad when you buy a kit to package it in, and then have to spend £30 on a minimum value order for parcels, bumping up the price of your tin of Xtracolour (or Xtracrylic) of Extra Dark Sea Grey or FS16440? :thumbsup:

Easier to pop round to the LMS and get a tin of Hu 123 or Hu 129.

There is plenty of posts even just here from people who have ONLY Humbrol paint. Never mind other sites.

And also I have not had any problems with the paint. Even the latest stuff. Odd tin of matt black goes off too soon as I use them for detail painting and the lid gets encrusted with dried paint, but that's all my own doing.

I'd like to see pics of your models on here with no paint? :D

Yes, the lifeboat does exist (pics of the instruction sheet are online) and was ready for pressing. Would still like to see it soon.

:yahoo:

As for Airfix, I suppose we shouldn't expect too much from them by way of new material. If you've spent a huge sum of money on buying a company, it would make more sense to try and make a bit of cash on the assets you already have, rather than spending even more dosh on new moulds. And it's not like they wont have plenty of moulds to re-use... blimey, where would you start?! I'm guessing it'll be a long time before anything new appears, unless the Nimrod and Canberra kits were already well advanced.

That would be the best way to go bankrupt again. If they are moving production to China, that would be the perfect chance to have new molds done at low cost, or even improving existing molds.

I hope the follow the trail of Trumpeter...

Davide

Although the paint range has a certain nostalgia value, I don't think anyone was really losing much sleep over its demise.

:D Speak for your self!!

I most certainly was concerned about the loss of Humbrol paint.

No one has made an acrylic paint that even comes close to matching Humbrol enamels, or for that matter any enamel (even Revell's).

IMHO, all acrylics are equally worthless (apart from possibly Tamiya's)

:cheers:

Karl

Do you have a link for those instructions?

they were here, but the dreaded red x's are there now..... :cheers:

http://ipmsuk.proboards20.com/index.cgi?bo...read=1160856377

i have them saved at home though.. I'll post them up on photobucket ....

Or you can pm Jonathon Mock from here, he's a member here and he posted them initally

Edited by roym

Surprised to hear anyone defending Humbrol paint - it must be a British thing! Why anyone would want to waste time using enamels in 2006 is a mystery. I mean seriously, why would you? Acrylics cover better, they dry in seconds, they don't need to be thinned with spirits, they're not toxic... enamels are from another era!

Surprised to hear anyone defending Humbrol paint - it must be a British thing! Why anyone would want to waste time using enamels in 2006 is a mystery. I mean seriously, why would you? Acrylics cover better, they dry in seconds, they don't need to be thinned with spirits, they're not toxic... enamels are from another era!

I touch nothing but enamels. Acrylics are a definite no-no in my experience. I've never had a problem with Humbrol enamels (except when a colour has been withdrawn from the range). Maybe thats why I bought 13 tinlets today :worship:

I touch nothing but enamels. Acrylics are a definite no-no in my experience. I've never had a problem with Humbrol enamels (except when a colour has been withdrawn from the range). Maybe thats why I bought 13 tinlets today :D

Hear hear! :worship:

They brush better than any other I've used too!

And, besides, acrylics are no good if you can't get any!

Doesn't matter now anyway, they're back!

:worship:

Also, my wife bought me a Le Mans Scalextric set a few Christmases ago, if Airfix new decals are even half as good as the tampo printing on them I'll be a happy camper. (Sponsor decals on the 1/32 rear-view mirrors and the Drivers helmets anyone?)

Edited by roym