Just bought an Airfix 48th scale Hawker Fury from ebay and spent a fruitless hour searching the 'net for reference material, can any of you guys point me in the right direction?

Want to make a good job of this one, it'll be my first biplane since I was a kid. Time to start searching the 'tools and tips' forum for rigging advice as well I guess <_<

Thanks Norrie, Fiona got it for me as it's acctualy her account. Always a fan of Francis K Mason's work, some very colourful profiles in there :yahoo:

Still trying to find some detail shots of the interior and exterior to detail things up a bit but no success so far :pray:

Hi Col.

This is a tutorial I did on rigging that is buried in here someplace. You may or may not find it useful.

http://s102164210.onlinehome.us/forums/ind...&hl=rigging

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's saved me some more searching, which is never a bad thing :worship:

I have managed to find a few interesting things myself today. There's a walkaround of a Hawker Nimrod (a naval variant of the Fury) here and Mushroom Models are releasing a new book soon according to Amazon.co.uk. Guess what I bought today :blink:

Thanks Mike, that's saved me some more searching, which is never a bad thing :thumbsup:

I have managed to find a few interesting things myself today. There's a walkaround of a Hawker Nimrod (a naval variant of the Fury) here and Mushroom Models are releasing a new book soon according to Amazon.co.uk. Guess what I bought today :D

There is a good set of plans in a book called 'On Silver Wings'. They are to 1/72 scale but can easily be scaled up. I have a copy at home but unfortunately I'm working abroad at the moment so I can't get at it. I think the author is F. Mason.

Be wary of utilising Nimrod plans; there was some commonality between the two types but a LOT of differences.

FWIW the Airfix kit's nose seems a little long and pointed and not as accurate as the Inpact/Lindberg/Pyro kit. Also, as far as I remember, the undercarriage legs are set in the 'in flight' position, ie with extended oleos.

Good luck with building the world's most beautiful ac, can't wait to see the results <_<

Thanks for the heads-up on those issues Jagmate, I wasn't aware of the shape problems but know where to pay attention now :) I'll have a look around for the book as well, sounds interesting.

The good news is I scored another kit off ebay yesterday so can build one as the Fury and convert the other to the Nimrod I. The bad news is Amazon have just emailed to say the book, Mushroom Models "Hawker Fury and Nimrod" by Alex Crawford, is delayed by 4 to 6 weeks. Perhaps that's a blessing in disguise though, it'll give me time to finish the Airfix Firefly for the Korean War GB. Maybe :)

SAMI August 1997 has interiors, plans and profiles. Can lend if you wish.

That would be fantastic, I'll PM you in a second with my address but there's no rush. I've a few projects to finish off before this one gets my full attention.

Be wary of utilising Nimrod plans; there was some commonality between the two types but a LOT of differences.

Exactly, the main commonality is that both were products of Sidney Camm's design team and that they are of the same period, however the Nimrod is not a navalised Fury as it is the outgrowth of a different set of Hawker projects.

Cheers, Jon

Exactly, the main commonality is that both were products of Sidney Camm's design team and that they are of the same period, however the Nimrod is not a navalised Fury as it is the outgrowth of a different set of Hawker projects.

Cheers, Jon

Ok Jon you got my attention now, can you tell me more about the differences? I don't know much about the Nimrod yet as all the references I've found or been given (thanks John and Norrie) deal with the Fury alone and it's out of my normal subject era. I was hoping the Mushroom Models title will have some plans for the Nimrod to compare with those I've received on the Fury but it now looks like it's been delayed until after Christmas.

Perhaps it may be easier to build a Hind or Demon if the Nimrod proves impossible?

Ok Jon you got my attention now, can you tell me more about the differences? I don't know much about the Nimrod yet as all the references I've found or been given (thanks John and Norrie) deal with the Fury alone and it's out of my normal subject era. I was hoping the Mushroom Models title will have some plans for the Nimrod to compare with those I've received on the Fury but it now looks like it's been delayed until after Christmas.

Perhaps it may be easier to build a Hind or Demon if the Nimrod proves impossible?

Here are Haryy Woodman's Nimrod I drawings:

Nimrod-02.jpg

Nimrod-01.jpg

The radiator shape and position are different, originally the Nimrod didn't have a headrest, the placement and amount of aluminum on the forward fuselage differs between the Nimrod and the Fury, etcetera etcetera. Lots of subtle things.

Also the Nimrod wing was of greater span, while the aircraft ws shorter overall than the Fury...only by 3 inches but shorter nonetheless.

Nimrod

Length: 26 ft 6 in (8.09 m)

Wingspan: 33 ft 7 in (10.23 m)

Height: 9 ft 10 in (3.00 m)

Wing area: 300 ft² (27.96 m²)

Fury

Length: 26 ft 9 in (8.15 m)

Wingspan: 30 ft 0 in (9.14 m)

Height: 10 ft 2 in (3.10 m)

Wing area: 250 ft (76.2 m)

So realistically you'd almost need two Fury's to do a Nimrod...for the increased span wings.

Making a Hart or Demon is also not as straightforward as it appears...tricky bugger Ol' Sid with his "look-a-likes".

Cheers, Jon

The radiator shape and position are different, originally the Nimrod didn't have a headrest, the placement and amount of aluminum on the forward fuselage differs between the Nimrod and the Fury, etcetera etcetera. Lots of subtle things.

Also the Nimrod wing was of greater span, while the aircraft ws shorter overall than the Fury...only by 3 inches but shorter nonetheless.

Nimrod

Length: 26 ft 6 in (8.09 m)

Wingspan: 33 ft 7 in (10.23 m)

Height: 9 ft 10 in (3.00 m)

Wing area: 300 ft² (27.96 m²)

Fury

Length: 26 ft 9 in (8.15 m)

Wingspan: 30 ft 0 in (9.14 m)

Height: 10 ft 2 in (3.10 m)

Wing area: 250 ft (76.2 m)

So realistically you'd almost need two Fury's to do a Nimrod...for the increased span wings.

Making a Hart or Demon is also not as straightforward as it appears...tricky bugger Ol' Sid with his "look-a-likes".

Cheers, Jon

Yikes! What have I let myself in for?

Thankyou for all this information Jon, especially the plans and cockpit details.

Alright, let's look at this logicaly. The major issues are the different dimensions and I now have a set of plans for both aircraft, which should tell me where those differences lie. I would much rather scratch-build a new section for the existing kit wings than cut up another and, as Jagmate said earlier, there are issues with the shape of the nose anyway so I'll have to do some work in that area regardless. It may be possible to fill and re-scribe the cowling panels to the correct shape for the Nimrod, particularly since I'll have to build-up the mount for what I take to be the oil-cooler on the lower cowling anyway. This may also be the area where those 3 missing inches came from if I'm really lucky.

Scratch-building said oil-cooler(?), the arrestor gear, any catapult gear that may be required, tie-down rings, a new radiator if the existing part cannot be modified and a pilot's head-rest all sounds within the realms of possibility. A lot of work certainly, but still possible.

I'm guessing the undercarrige was also strengthened for carrier operations? It looks somewhat sturdier, although I'm looking at the plans at work with nothing to compare them to and, as Jagmate pointed out, the kit has these moulded extended to an unloaded 'in-flight' possition. Could this also be the reason for the 4 inch height difference between to two aircraft?

As an aside, I missed an Airfix 72nd Demon kit on ebay the other day that would have made a nice companion project to these two. Never mind, someone's bound to release a whole family of highly detailed kits just as I put down the razor saw and scalpel from commiting major surgery on these two.

I have several photos, including the cockpit, of the replica Fury, taken about 4 years ago, at Shuttleworth; also the Nimrod, based at Duxford.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar
I have several photos, including the cockpit, of the replica Fury, taken about 4 years ago, at Shuttleworth; also the Nimrod, based at Duxford.

Edgar

Thankyou Edgar, I'd appreciate having a look at them. I still have your Firefly photos and must get them back to you, they have been my main reference for that project so far and I couldn't have worked without them. Like I said before, I really should consult you before starting stuff :bandhead2:

• 3 weeks later...
Hiya,

If it's of any use, I have some pics of Duxford's Nimrod and the Fury Replica that was at Shuttleworth in my Photobucket album:

HTH,

Mark.

Those are fantastic Mark, thank you for sharing them. Very useful :cheers:

• 1 month later...

After waiting patiently for months on Amazon to deliver the Alex Crawford book and getting a couple emails telling me there's a delay of two to three week on delivery I finally get one from them saying;

"We are sorry to report that, despite our best efforts, we have been

unable to source the following item:

Alex Crawford "Hawker Fury and Nimrod"

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this

conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for

you.

This item has now been cancelled from your order and we can confirm that

you have not been charged for it.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience

caused."

All of which would be fair enough were it not for the fact a Google search shows they still list the title as a stock item :pray:

So now I'm really hacked off and a wee bit confused, have they just cancelled my order because they don't want to keep me hanging on any longer or are they taking potential customers for a ride?

Anyone had experience of Amazon doing this before?

Also, if anyone knows of another stockist for the book I'd sure be glad to know.

Cheers, feel better after that wee rant :)

Edited by Col.

Don't sweat it, the Hawker Fury and Nimrod book has not yet been published by Mushroom. Amazon were working off an intended publication date of November 2006 but it's slipped. Mushroom probably haven't updated Amazon with a new release schedule (it's due sometime 'early' this year), hence why they've cancelled your order.

Amazon currently say it's 4-6 weeks for delivery, and keep checking the Mushroom Model Publications website for release news.

Vince

Edited by vince14

Thanks Vince, that's set my mind at ease even though I'm still disapointed they cancelled my order. Guess I just had a wee 'moment' to myself there. A little more patience called for on my part methinks :lol: