"Maybe we need a "When Did You Solo" thread."

Andrew suggested this in another thread and I think it's a great idea.

So, in my case (I had to drag out an old logbook to track it down) it was on November 12, 1987. How do you like that? Tomorrow it will be nineteen years! The aircraft was a Cessna 152, N96625, at Orlando Executive Airport. I checked online and it appears the aircraft is still flying and is now owned by a gentleman in Bay Village, Ohio.

Edited by David Walker

It was in June 1999 in a C-172- as far as I remember, I'd have to go dig up the ole log book to be more specific. Never thought the solo was as big a deal as many folks seem to.

Edited by Rapier01

So it is today for me

November 11th 2006 - or was it yesterday already as it's 0.16 am now local time.

Aircraft was a Cessna 152, F-OGVK and I must admit as Rapier 01 said it did not feel it was such a big deal. I flew 12 minutes solo and I had a bit more than 9 hours on my log book.

I was more pleased with the first landing I achieved with no teacher action just 3 lessons before my first solo lesson. I asked him "you did not touch anything, did you?" and he replied "no I did not, be not that surprised".

I felt very happy then but I was less successful with the other landings of that day.

Regards

Eric B.

I'm honored! I'll say it again, then... Feb 18, 1990, at Louisiana Tech University. Cessna 152, N5244Q. At the time she was one of the only aircraft in our fleet not painted in the fleet colors. Tried to look her up online a time or two and never found anything.

EDIT: Tried looking it up again and says that registration number is unassigned/unreserved. Should I assume that means she's in the scrap heap now?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
re-registered perhaps?

That's what I was thinking too. If someone else bought it and repainted it they may have decided to change the N number as well. Or it could be on the scrap heap. The only way to know for sure is if you had the serial number.

Ok, Here's the specs on my solo. Sept.26, 1969 at at the Aurora, Oregon airport. Aircraft was Cessna 140 N72166. A the time, I had 8:30 time in the 140. Wish I had that little bird back, it was a kick to fly. I loved to bug my instructor. The 140 would outclimb and outrun his 150. The 140 is now somewhere in North Dakota.

Brings back lots of good memories, Terry

My first solo was on July 15th 1990 at Schwaebisch Hall, Germany. The aircraft was a Cessna 150, N7157S.

The second solo was in a Bergfalke glider at the same airfield, almost 4 years later on July, 23th 1994 after logging 11 take offs and 4 hours in that glider.

First Glider solo was in C-FCIV at Picton Airport, Ontario August 6th, 2005 and that was fun. I got an extra 1000 feet on the tow, 2500' instead of 1500' because of spacing.

First power solo was July 14, 2006 at CYXU (London international) In a Diamond Katana C1 C-GIVD. It didn't really feel like that much of a big deal, it was just a circuit. the first time I really felt like I had accomplished a significant solo flight was my first solo Cross country from London to Goderich and back.

So, in my case (I had to drag out an old logbook to track it down) it was on November 12, 1987

I think it was around the same time for me as well. I'd have to dig out the logbook to check the date, but I had 8.4 hours when I took off.

I was more pleased with the first landing I achieved with no teacher action just 3 lessons before my first solo lesson.

On my third landing, the instructor told me he was going to close his eyes and let me do everything. We touched down and he said "how'd it go? I didn't see anything with my eyes closed." Should have seen the look on his face when I said "I don't know. When you said you were closing your eyes I figured I better close mine too."

I first soloed on 16 July 1952 at Windsor, Ontario in Fleet Canuck CF-EAO...

What a cool airplane for a first solo!

Or it could be on the scrap heap.

The first three 152's I flew all ended up hitting the ground in the wrong place - none of them with me flying though!!! The first one went down one week after my first solo. I went to the airport for a lesson and they said "no flying today." CASARA was crawling all over the place and it turned out that a student pilot had disappeared. He was found, alive and well, 24 hours later. On his 100 mile cross country solo, he was 65 miles east of course. He got to a lake he didn't recognize, figured he was lost and put the plane down in a dry riverbed. It flipped and was written off. If he had just flown a circuit around the shoreline of the lake, he would have come across Lac La Loche and seen their airport about 5 miles from where he crashed!

The second 152 crashed when an instructor took a licensed commercial pilot up for forced approach practice in extremely cold weather. After a practice approach they applied power and - nothing. The plane went down in a cutline, was written off and both pilots were injured but were able to walk to a clearing for the helo pickup.

The last one went down in a farmer's field with dry tanks. Since they all have one thing in common - that I flew them - I must be bad luck. <_<

WB

Sometime in the summer of '76 in a C-150 from Bellville area college at Parks-BiState airport in Cahokia Ill.

The plane is gone, burned in a hangar fire.

Soloed after 3.2 hours of dual. (flying with my dad since I was 6 months old helped there)