Superhornet Mishap at Pensacola Today

To say that these shots are incredible would be an understatement....

Definately magazine print material...

Too add to the comment from the gentleman above about " keeping my hand on the black and yellow handle" .... this RIO acts as if it's part of the demo!?!?

tire14.jpg

I think right about now I would have been hoping I packed extra underwear...

It is obvious he has alot of confidence in the pilot..

Above all I am glad to see that they made it out OK.....

Edited by VFA103Super Hornet
Great shots. Way to have the presence of mind to keep firing away!

Thanks Joe, I was too scared to move! :cheers: I don't even think I realized my finger was on the button!! :huh:

I think right about now I would have been hoping I packed extra underwear...

I know I was!!! <_<

an F-16 MLG tyre is changed every.. 20 landings right?

Depends on the maker of the tire,some we had had 3 chords and some 8 chords,I think they are back to 3 again.Best way to tell if the tire is due for replacement is count the chords(this applies to both nose and MLG,the normal chords are a tannish color),the last chord is red,if you see that you change the tire regardless.

I've had tires on my Viper last over a month or so(about 20+ flights) at home station,but at places like Savannah,GA or Tucson,AZ,they would barely last a week and a half due to the way the runway was constructed.

Yanked many a tire off of Vipers,much easier job than yanking them off F-4's by a long shot!

The Super Bug accident could have been caused by a few things,I would imagine the bird was towed to the hanger and picked apart by QA and maintenace already and the leading factor already found.Like to hear what was the cause was.

Edited by ThePhantomTwo
Is the nosewheel free castoring, or can the pilot steer with the rudder pedal or a wheel? Once the tires go differential braking would go too.

That's nosewheel steering, just about every flight manual tells the pilot to try and counter the effects of a blown tire using aerodynamic surfaces, differential braking, and nosewheel steering.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Q: After a situation like this what is the normal turn around time to get the plane flying again? How thourough of a check will the plane go through?

It depends on the extent of the damage. First there will be a safety investigation to determine the cause, then repairs can proceed. The big question in terms of repairs would be if any structural damge occurred and whether the engines were FODed out.

Regards,

Murph

It depends on the extent of the damage. First there will be a safety investigation to determine the cause, then repairs can proceed. The big question in terms of repairs would be if any structural damge occurred and whether the engines were FODed out.
While the stabilizers just barely dug into the ground, I'd think there might be concern that their mounts and actuators might be damaged...Just recalling getting rear-ended at low-speed in an old car I had. The damage looked minor but the passenger door wouldn't open and close properly afterwards...

Great series of photos!!!

:D

Another example of a former Tomcat guy forgetting that he's not in the Grumman Cat and these new Hornets are a *little* different and not made of the same metal... (before you Bug guys get all worked up, it's all in good humor)

Seriously, glad it worked out without injury. I can hear a new callsign in the making... :) Will at least make for a good story.

Awesome pics!! Thanks for sharing Craig!

-brian (former Tomcat guy)

Crasca,

Great pics! The Rhino Demo was the highlight of the Friday show (yes, even better than the Cobras, but just barely) and I was wondering what they could possibly do to surpass Friday's performance. Guess I shouldn't have wondered so loudly! Glad they got out ok and it looks like the jet wasn't too badly damaged.

Jon

FWIW - ejecting in that regime has it's own set of dangers. Sometimes riding out the jet is the best bet...as long as it doesn't flip over...

Curious to hear the what's and why's of this accident. Looks like the ailerons hit the dirt while the stick was still full forward. My guess is that impact will have a structural issue for the airframe. Looks like cold beertime - after the **** test of course.

-brian

i see a whole group of engineers groaning at those photos and thinking about all the NDI tests they'll have to do on that bird....

I hear you bud. Glad to see the aircrew handle the situation and get out unhurt.

Excellent photos!!!

:unsure:

Jacob